I Almost Died Today!!

-

71dodge

ADDICTED.
Reaction score
ok well the day started off fine i was gonna go unload my motor from the trailer from the night before. so i call me friend over to help and we get everything set up and the engine hoist up and ready. i pull the truck up on the side of the driveway and slid the engine hoist under the trailer on the grass. and then i pull my dart out and it is sitting in the drivewa. ok so we got the motor all hooked up and we start to pull it out of the grass cause we make a mistae setting it in the grass and as we are pulling the engine hoist out with the 383 attached it decides to tip. it pins me up against my car and nearly falls on me. my buddy gets it up enough to let me slid out and he says"hurry up get out of the way" and i say "no im not letting the motor hit my car" and i stay there for about 5 minutes pinned against my car holding the motor off with all my might until my dad finally hears me screaming for hepl and we slid the car down the drive way and set the motor on the ground. i sustanded some cuts ands bruises on my chest and hand and the engine hoist legs are all bent and tweeked so it no longer works until we get new legs make. all in all very bad you dont relize how hevy a 383 is until it is on your chest. i was lucky i didnt puncure my lung and die my friend saved ,y life and i cant thank him eniugh for that if he wasnt there the engine would of came right down on me. and my car is alright and there is n dents in the quarter i told my buddy i was not fixing another piece of the car so i stuck it out and waited for my dad boy did that suck it was so heavy it was lifting up the trailer cause he hoist was caught underneith WOW what a day well here are some pics of the motor that nearly kiled me enjoy 100_1183.jpg

100_1184.jpg

100_1185.jpg

100_1183.jpg

100_1184.jpg

100_1185.jpg

Darn man, glad you are ok. I'm the most nervous when I'm pulling a motor. I'm always scared of what might happen.

Years ago I was helping a freind. He lower the back of the car on to jack stands while the front end was on car ramps. It rolled and pinned him against the garage door until I lowered the car for him. I knew a guy that got quished by his Hotrod. Only 38 yearts old. Glad you are OK. Make sure you learn from the mishap. Don't sacrifice safety for time.

Well I hope your alright,your gonna hurt tomorrowfrom the weight on your chest muscles.You best be takin your buddy out for a burger for saving ya!Nice 383 you scored there!

ya im also very happy i didnt have to repace the quarter on my car so i stuck with it until my dad came out and hepled and i guess ill never put the hoist in the grass again you know somtin i learned a big block is very very heavy

oh ya we went to mcdonalds and stuff he is always heplin me on the car and boy am i gald he was here today or i might not be here myself

ya it was a shock one second im trying to get it off the grass the next im pinned against my car WOW

Almost is only good in horse shoes and hand granades, next post after it kills ya.

Just kiding, glad your okay. That much weight that high is very dangerus, exspically with the cheap motor lifts they sell today.

Wow! Great to hear you're alive. :) As you now know, a hoist on grass/dirt/gravel is a bad idea but I'm not going to pontificate as I know you will never do it again. Like I said, I'm just dang glad you're alive.

Speaking of unsafe, I just picked up another 4.0L engine for my Jeep yesterday. The guy owned a shop and had a hoist but decided to pick the engine up on a leg of his two poster through the chain. I backed my RC up and it slid right in, and he let it down. It worked out and was fast but made me very nervous. It's still in the back of my truck and I'm getting the upper and lower control arms done before I push the Jeep out and back the RC in on concrete so I can pick it up on a hard surface with my hoist and a hook.

BTW, he had a nice Chrysler 400 for sale for 300 bucks. :)

ya im glad im alive to and that the car was not damaged in the process and this engine hoist is not new it is one of the good oldies that were made right back thenit is very rugged and thick but a 700-800lb motor defeated it today all it needs is the legs that extend it out

I'm sure it was the uneveness of the ground that took it out. They do have cradle lifts at the boneyard with big tires that can handle uneven terrain.

That sucks about the legs. Can you mind a manufacuture mark on it? You may have to make some legs.

That being said, I'd rather hear of a dented car and broke lift legs than a dead member. :)

ya thats what my dad said forget about the car that can be replaced you cant and i think were gonna have new legs made at a machine shop all the are is square tubing

thanks and cool anytime after i get out of school after 3 is fine

Glad to hear you survived! I respect the car care you took, but remember paint and dents can be fixed, your life on the other hand is a one shot deal. You should name the engine Chrisitne now!

lol ya i just couldnt afford another repair on the car but i also couldnt afford my life but im here and my car is fine so it all worked out thank the lord

Take two vicadin and drink 4 to 6 beers! Glad your ok. Seriously take some ibuprofin to help with the inflamation. You are gonna be one sore puppy tomorow.

ya i know i will not be able to move and i cant drink im 15 :(

thank you all for the support im gonna be very very sore tomarrow

-
Back