I am gapping my rings and got one a little too wide, opinions needed

-

duster360

Reaction score
I am gapping my total seal rings and got the top ring a little too wide on one cylinder. Top ring specs call for a .0183" gap and it came out at .020". If it matters the second rings gap at .020". Would this pass or should I get another set of rings for this cylinder?

Shouldnt matter. Ring butt from to tight a gap would be a problem but not two thousandths too much.They open the gap up on nitrous motors and its not a problem when not spraying.

I wouldn't worry at all. You only over gapped it by half the width of a human hair.

Or how about trying that ring in another cylinder or have you already done the others? Never seen a bore/honing job that was exact.

Or how about trying that ring in another cylinder or have you already done the others? Never seen a bore/honing job that was exact.

Some are. My 273 was all within a half thousandth.

Tried that. I was hoping it would close up just a little but no luck.

Total Seal Ring guy told us "plus .002"" is fine on that type of engine; run it.
Tom

What piston? KB hyper isn't like the rest.

That's not a big deal

JB WELD IT. I wouldnt do it. Run it like you stold it. It wont hurt nothing.

Run it.

Also make sure the ring gaps are at least 90° - 180° apart from each other on all your pistons before installing them for the compression rings and the two skinny oil rings.

I have SRP forged pistons. It is just a street/strip type engine. Mostly street though.

Would Ma Mopar have rejected it during the initial assembly? I would guess they never even checked them as they went down the line. Just pull the parts from the bins, slap them in and send it on. This is just my guess though from factory experiences at RCA.

I'd run it.

It's not that big a deal. I'd add .002 to your 2nd ring gap tho...

Run it. .002" is never going to hurt you in this application. Nobodies perfect and .002" is pretty darn close. .002" is a big deal in piston 2 wall, or rod main clearance, lifter clearance ect, but not in a ring gap thats not an ALL OUT type engine. Dont worry about it.

I think a BCH is a little thicker , but ... .then, also so are their heads !!

A BCH is much finer (thinner) than an RCH. My opinion only. LOL!

Run it the way it is. .0017" will never be noticed.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will go ahead and install it.

What is the distance from the deck of the piston down to the first compression ring?

You may want to run a larger gap on all of them. I'm running .030" on my engine, because of the close ring to piston top distance and climbing hills will add more heat.

-
Back