I built a freaking monster. WHOOOOHOOO

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Got the 340 running today. She sounds F'n awesome. This thing is going to be a monster. Here are a couple of pre-ignition pics and some crude video.
47b7cc33b3127cceb2cc73a73ab400000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

47b7cc33b3127cceb2cc73ef3afc00000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

Videos

Engine + Exhaust
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FFhuLjbdEV4

Exhaust Revs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=N1G5vBZprfc

Man, that sounds terrific! What cam did you put into the motor? I love the exhaust sound - stout, but not too radical at idle, and then just RIPS when you rev it...

I'm so envious, since i'm anxious to hear my new 440 once i get around to completing my engine swap. Congratulations and enjoy!!

john

Crazy thing is..it's a comp 292 cam. Sounds really good to me and not as loopy as I thought it might be. The thing is smooth. I still need to fine tune it with a light. Everything was pretty much by ear. I just wanted to hear the sucker run.

I had a grin from ear to ear to say the least. One step closer to driving it.

I'm not going to beat around the bush: I'm %$#@#$% envious! The engine sounds GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and that's why I like the s/b mopars. They sound big and go great..........

DAVE,, sounds great,,,what mufflers are you running ??? and where is the burn out footage???:?:

Yee Haa!! Thanks for getting it up and letting us cry because some of us are still waiting!! Tears of happiness. :wav:
Sound's strong and glad everything fired up for you.:salute:
292, I like it.:pirat:

First of all thanks guys. I even woke up this morning with a big grin. I might have it on the road this weekend. I still need to fine tune the timing and tune the carb next. The intial setup of my Demon carb from Don at FBO seemed to be right on. I'm still waiting on my tires from Summit and my rear wheels from getting widened. There will be some burn out video for sure. I have an old set of BFG T/As that will go for a good cause. :burnout:

Dave, it sounds great! That was a long time coming.

What are the specs on the motor again?

which 292 cam? hydraulic or solid? dual pattern?

Engine Specs:
1968 340 0.30 with 10.1:1 Compression
Ported and polished J-heads with the bigger valves.
Comp 292H-10 cam .501 lift 244 dur @ 50
Edelbrock RPM performer intake
Might Demon 650 carb with annular boosters and 1" 4-hole carb spacer
FBO ignition and dizzy curve 18* int 34* total in at 3400
Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers through TTI 2.5" X-pipes and TTI headers

Dave

GREAT sound Dave. Brings back memories of my old '69 340 Dart at OCIR. I always had people turning in the staging lanes when I fired it up. That SBM was LOUD through open headers.
Can't wait to get my 360 running in my current '69 Dart and reliving that beautiful noise.
Congrats!!! See you around SoCal sometime!

[/quote]
Engine Specs:

Dave[/quote]

Did you buy the 'ET Slayer' version of the Demon or std Demon w/ a little bit of Don's lovin' on it?

Nice!

Engine Specs:

Dave[/quote]

Did you buy the 'ET Slayer' version of the Demon or std Demon w/ a little bit of Don's lovin' on it?

Nice![/QUOTE]

Just a little of Don's loving. the ET slayer I think is a little overkill for me. I may get one for the 440 Dart in the future

Man, that idle sounds freakin wild!
I might buy that same cam for my 69 340 Dart after hearing that symphony of pistons!

George

The more I listen to that audio clip the more I think I went too small with my cam choice. I went with the Comp Cam's XE 274 H in my engine. It's advertised as a .488/.491 dual pattern.

Any opinions? To generalize, it's in a 10:1 360 with Edlebrock heads, complete MSD ignition, TTI's and a 6Bbl.

But Dave, the sound of your car..... It gives me wood.
eck24.gif

The more I listen to that audio clip the more I think I went too small with my cam choice. I went with the Comp Cam's XE 274 H in my engine. It's advertised as a .488/.491 dual pattern.

Any opinions? To generalize, it's in a 10:1 360 with Edlebrock heads, complete MSD ignition, TTI's and a 6Bbl.

But Dave, the sound of your car..... It gives me wood.
eck24.gif
its the duration of the cam that gives you that lope,not the lift.I had to find that out the hard way.I had a 480 lift blue racer cam in my old 360,and it barely loped at all,but when i bought the compcams,280-480 cam,it sounded real nasty when ideled down to 750 rpms.By the way,that car of yours does sound wicked,i hope my voodoo cam sounds like that

-
Back