I Chose the 383 Big Block

-

TommieDuster76

Reaction score
So, I ended up buying a 383 Big Block for my 76 Duster. Stamped 2468130-9. I have a 727 Transmission and a QA-1 K-Member. Any suggestions for Motor Mounts, Carburetor, Headers for this application? I'm using the stock suspension with the K-Member.

motor mounts is what QA1 recommends.

headers depend on your build. Schumacher tri-y are nice, pro parts by tti are kick *** but i think they are for a raised block.
carb depends on the build too.

Might be worth asking a moderator to move this thread to the Big Block A-Body section, it's in the New Hemi Swap section right now. Probably going to get more feedback over there.

Might be worth asking a moderator to move this thread to the Big Block A-Body section, it's in the New Hemi Swap section right now. Probably going to get more feedback over there.
Moved to big block.

The Elephant ears are really good and stiff keeping the engine where it needs to be. Look into Manciniracing.com and see if they have the swap mounts.

Another header is made by TTI. They also can supply an entire exhaust system for there own headers for your car n 2-1/2 or 3 inch tube size.

The carb depends on what you’re doing with the engine/car.
A 600/650 for a grandma easy driver is fine, 750 for a little more performance, an 800 Edelbrock or 850 Holley for a beast engine.

Just treat the 383 like a big small block and you’ll be fine.
Cam it like a 318 and it’ll be great new matter the performance level sought. It’s just @ 383 cubic inches with the short stroke, a big cam is going to make the bottom rpm band mushy and even more so if the rest of the building spot on as a combo.

I'm going this same direction on my '75 Duster (383, 727 & 8 3/4) and will be relying heavily on the Big Block A body tech forum to get me through the swap. Motor currently has elephant ears, as it was in a '70 Duster drag car, but I'm thinking schumacher mounts to help with alternator alignment.

Transmission fluid is also very good. A little in each cylinder.

If you didn’t already pull the intake. A bent pushrod could be the culprit keeping it from turning

-
Back