I had to rat on someone for the first time ever

-
I sure don't understand.
A member comes on here to get some reasurance for doing something he and any Moral person knows is right and all of a sudden we're off on a raciest kick or a political tangent.
WTF I've been a member on this sight for a few years and in the last 3 months I've seen more bickering between members that all the preceeding years put together. Its getting to be kind of a turn off. Is there something in the water???????

Well said kocuda. I'm cleaning up this crap as we speak.
Small Block

My father inlaw works for the state. He's no peon and is constantly amazed and frustrated at the nonsense he observes up and down the chain. Regardless of his race, the behavior of your co-worker is indicative of widespread waste and corruption throughout government.

Whether he's stealing office supplies or time that he's being paid for, he's a thief - plain and simple. The fact that he's being paid for a job that he seems unqualified for (aside from the fact that he doesn't do his job) is another matter but that goes back to the sloppiness of government bureaucracy. It's like once you're in, you're in. Getting rid of someone who is dead-weight and doesn't belong can be very difficult (thanks, in part, to unions). My father inlaw was complaining recently about how upper management in his department will eliminate a job because of some budgetary concern and then turn around and higher someone less qualified at a higher salary. It doesn't make sense.

You did the right thing. We need more whistle blowers. Whether someone up the food chain hears the whistle and cares enough to do anything about it is another matter.

I sure don't understand.
A member comes on here to get some reasurance for doing something he and any Moral person knows is right and all of a sudden we're off on a raciest kick or a political tangent.
WTF I've been a member on this sight for a few years and in the last 3 months I've seen more bickering between members that all the preceeding years put together. Its getting to be kind of a turn off. Is there something in the water???????

Too cold to work on our cars +18,000 members = bickering.

I sure don't understand.

Lol, Lol, Lol... I agree, Dam the river!

I agree with SCredneck,
Since he is a federal employee, that constitutes falsifying a federal document which is a felony.
I quite frankly, would take him aside, place a copy of the evidence in his hands, explain to him how serious his crime is and tell him he has 24 hours to resign, OR the package gets delivered to the nearest Federal prosecutor.
Thats just me
Andrew

Sounds like you already handled it. F that guy. People need to do their very best and be grateful of their opportunity. Particularly when they are paid by us, the people.

Just stating what is true and what is allowed to go on in this country i mean come on,,the united negro college fund,what no united whiteboy college fund??..affirmative action please the fact a person gets a job because of the color of their skin bullshit!! what happened to the BEST person for the job no matter what color getting the job.ect ect...this country is in VERY SAD SHAPE!!!
I'm firmly against Affirmative Action (can't stand NAACP) as I feel in this day and age it has no place but there was a reason the UNCF was formed. If the "so called negro" of the time would have been given a fair shake based on merit and not color such things would not have been necessary. Same with business, if businesses would have treated workers fairly Unions wouldn't have been necessary either. Now it may not have been called the "united whiteboy college fund" but that's what it was. Same for the Miss America because we all know for sometime non-whites were not allowed. Was it in writing? no, but we all knew the rules. Lewis Lattimer, Elijah McCoy, Granville Woods and others made some of the most important inventions that we take for granted today but at the time they made it they were considered 2nd class citizens based on color only. Garrett Morgan, traffic light and gas mask. Otis Boykin, the electronic control device for Guided Missiles and IBM's computers. He also made the 1st Pacemaker. There's plenty more and their work was done while being kept in the background and most of the time under duress 24/7. Water coming from the same source but yet I gotta drink out of this one, pure insanity. Hell my Grandfather was sent to Europe to fight during WWII in a segregated Army and to risk his life and what was his reward? He got to come back home to ride on the back of a damn bus and go thru the back or side door of restaurants and $#!t like that. I'm glad that crap has gone away. I was a little boy during the Detroit riots and I'm here to tell you as a child I was scared to death. I've fought tooth and nail for what little I have but I earned it and sometimes had to jump thru hoops to get it but I got it. I don't think you are as wound up about it as it sounds but you got to know there is good and bad everywhere within every race and there is enough blame to go around. I can tell you the average person of color would rather get whatever they are after like everyone else but sometimes that wasn't available and being people of color was not in power when all of these "entitlement" programs were created nor created by us, the bulk of the blame is going to have to be concentrated somewhere else.

to the OP, IMO I think you done the right thing. Fraud waste and abuse hurts everyone involved. Judging by his actions he didn't give a crap about his job so why should you!

Reminds me of when engineers/ draftsmen came to work for an engineering company that my dad worked for. Most of them were from the Middle East and China. Most of them got fired for literally knowing nothing. They just like to play with computers. In my opinion you just showed that guy the reality. It wouldn't have lasted forever anyhow. Better now than later.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLddJ1WceHQ"]YouTube - The Rolling Stones : Sympathy For The Devil (live) HQ[/ame]

This is what happens when you are at the mercy of another human being. I've been thankful my whole life that I have never had to work for anyone but myself. Even when a customer starts picking colors and designs which I feel won't work, I just shake my head pick up my tools, smile and go on my way. My Ipod keeps me happy

I feel for you. If working for the federalis, you will probably be endlessly frustrated, since you sound like a motivated worker. The bosses probably know the score, but it would take too much effort to boot the guy and it cost them nothing to look the other way. I worked as a contract engineer for the USAF for 3 years. The government paid near the lowest starting salaries, so hired the bare minimum C-minus grads who had no choice but tolerate the remote location. Most figured that showing up was enough effort for the day, so spent all day reading magazines and goofing off. Motivated people didn't last (like me). The government is always over-staffed because bosses gain status by getting people under them.

Re foreign engineers, if their degree is from another country it may be worthless. The best ones have an MS or Phd from a U.S. university, which at least validates them. My wife has a friend with an electrical engineering degree from a prestigious university in her developing country. He was studying to pass an exam for an engineering position at the local power company and asked my help. He couldn't solve a simple 8th grade algebra equation. There is no "language barrier" in math. They rely on rote memorization, family ties always matter, and cheating is rampant. That explains why their buildings collapse regularly and development projects fail. Some truly are smart, but you never know. Anyway, companies get what they pay for, as do us taxpayers.

It's my job to fix attendance errors and when I noticed he had a very clean attendance sheet when he's hardly even here, I started to wonder.

you weren't stealing, you were doing your job. and turning him in was the right thing. probably a written statement would of been best with actual times and such.

regardless of race, entitlement is human nature but some of us know better and some of us don't.

I agree with SCredneck,
Since he is a federal employee, that constitutes falsifying a federal document which is a felony.
I quite frankly, would take him aside, place a copy of the evidence in his hands, explain to him how serious his crime is and tell him he has 24 hours to resign, OR the package gets delivered to the nearest Federal prosecutor.
Thats just me
Andrew

But if he's union, like most government employees, how for do you think that's going to go?

The threats of prosecution will be pulled off the table during the disciplinary hearing with the union's attorney/rep being present, his past write-ups and evaluations will be taken into account, and the union will negotiate a deal which will allow him to keep his job in the same manner. He might lose a week's paid vacation. Most likely the only action that will be taken will be a couple of threats of "we'll be watching you" and a lean on the union of "if he does this again, then we'll..."

Sad truth is that if anything at all happens, it will be the engineer getting a promotion to another dept and you will be lucky to still be there a year from now.

I worked for the government for 30 years, and Aero is dead on. Watch your back, he hasn't lasted this long without help.:banghead:

if you make 85 grand a year you need to know what your doing and not burning cd's all day!!

I work for the Gov't and I also am the Union rep. I worked private sector for 17 years. I know first hand about these type of deadbeats union and nonunion. I had to turn a union guy in for throwing a machete at a fellow employee. He did two days in a row after the guy told him to knock it off. I also had to inform management about a engineer who would comne to our shop to clock in then drive the rest of the way to his office. Oh yeah he was on a motorcycle! Last but not least a Dept. head who uswed to drive his personal vehicle around instead of the work vehicle so he could go to the gym and not get caught.
The problem is with upper management. The chances are they already know about it but are too lazy to deal with it! I tell all my bargaining unit people that they must be worried about there job more than I am. Anyone who has a secure job needs to do the best they can and appreciate the job they have.
Gov't jobs are a different breed to say the least. You did the right thing. I really hated to turn those guys in also but when they are talking furlow days and layoffs and paycuts enough is enough. As far as the machete idiot, after some research I found out he got shitcanned from his previous job for similar styuff. Oh yeah he got hired on a hookup.
Stealing time is a serious offense. There are minor and major offenses as far the union saving a job. Serious offenses will get you suspended or fired real quick. I've seen both sides of the race thing. Again you did the right thing. My 2 cents.
The republican vs. dem thing is a wash. We have a new Gov. here in Ohio. He wants to get rid of unions and Gov't workers to save money. So what does he do? He fires all the former adm. employees and hires his own hand picked ones at a hgher pay rate! Not just a couple dollars, $20,000 a year more!

Sorry about the spelling. In a hurry. I'm better at cars than typing.

The OP asked everyone here a question that many only had some smart political or racist answer for. You'll notice they are gone.

To the OP. You did the right thing by doing your job even if the other guy wont/cant. Thanks.
Small Block

Original poster should have ommitted the part about him being from the middle east. That statement could be race baiting or have lead to slanted prejudicial answers.

Original poster should have ommitted the part about him being from the middle east. That statement could be race baiting or have lead to slanted prejudicial answers.

Wasn't ANYTHING slanted about my statements sad truth is..people don't want to hear the truth in this country might offend someone...

I don't get it. What the hell is there to feel bad over about exposing someone who is abusing their position and stealing from their employer, and in this case, taxpayers? I wouldn't want to call someone like that my "coworker".

-
Back