i must be completely missing something ?!?

-
I your car was doing all the stuff down the track and on the road you described. There was something else wrong with your car. I have been driving several different cars on the street for 20 years with a spool and I never could tell the difference with or without the spool on the street. I drove my Demon 1000's of miles with a spool and a 5500 stall 8 in. convertor, 4.30 gears and never had a issue.

I'll second that..i've got 4.30's with a spool in my duster no issues what so ever on the street you just to remember you've got a spool when taking turns..

I gotta ask myself. why would anyone run a spool on the street, on a mid 11 car.

So you guys running spools on the street,are running what size tires?
I was running 325/50-15DRs. Around every sub 20mph turn,those babys would do their little dance, as they wound up and unloaded the tires, on alternating sides.

Post #116 edited
To say the dance only happens at slower speeds , and only around turns;concrete or asphalt.

I gotta ask myself. why would anyone run a spool on the street, on a mid 11 car.

Who is running a spool on a 11 second street car? Maybe somebody that races on the track that wants traction.
Actually I ran welded together spider gears over the years more than a spool, it is a lot cheaper.

Oh boy , my threads tend to get off track. LOL THIS IS A RACE CAR !! I drive this on the street only for testing and "danger rides". I did a spool to help keep the car straight in the 1/4 mile.
Soooo, I'm looking at race front shocks and dropping the front torsion bar ajusters. Until i can afford rear springs and shocks I'm going to try clamping some metal on top of the springs between the axel and the front.
my most pressing problem is finding a underdrive pulley to drive my alternator or the car ain't gonna go nowheres! I'm having a hard time finding one with a 3" harmonic balancer to v-grove spacing !?!???

If you put a pulley like that on there, you will be putting an awful strain on the alt. bearing.Better it would be to relocate the entire alt. further forward. If not possible, I know exactly what I would do with that electric pump. Probably the same as what Rusty would do.

I ran a spool on the street for over two years. 4.30 gears, 28/11.50/15 tires on a 65 Valiant. Couldn't even tell it was back there.

I got the impression that your doing your burnouts in first gear?! That's a bit hard on your engine. You got line-loc right? In the water box? Try third gear. In the box those tires will spin. Greater wheel speed will give you a much better burn out at the same rpm with less time spent at that rpm. At that wheel speed the back end will feel way lighter. You might even think your john force. Clutch in as it comes out the box. And your out the hole at 3500? Should be at 5000. Stick uses kinectic energy. That's rpm. Huge difference there. As they say,drive it as if you stole it. Really could use bout a 88 in the back.

spool, clutch unit, who cares. I see a lower ET and more MPH in your future.
suspension upgrade and taller gear is where the wise money is spent.
you are closer, than farther. work the advance curve, maybe jetting, but leave the motor alone. good luck and have fun!

I tried redirecting :violent1: oh well - if ya can't beat um, join um:coffee2:
i occasionally drive on the street wiht a spool. I take wider corners .:happy1:

PLEASE see my thread on the small block motor section of this forum - "electric water pump vs. alternater"
If you can help with this. Again my problem is finding a underdrive pulley to protrude 3" from a harmonic balancer to the v-grove center to clear the water pump inlet?

Now let's carry on with driving a spool on the street and see where else it goes :happy1:

hi do not do burnouts in 3rd gear!!! it's the weakest gear . use2nd gear only!!! it will give you plenty of wheel speed !!!also, 2nd gear is easier on the clutch. we do burnouts at 6300 rpm. ours are very short burnouts in 2nd gear!!

If you are going to clamp the front segment, put the clamp on the underside so it will stiffen up to and including the front eye.

A thought that just came to mind.......what is your pinion angle? You can get wedge shims so you can get the angle you want.

You may have to go to a machine shop to get what you want custom made......it would be best if you could give them a print, even a pencil drawing, with dimensions. They are not going to know what you want unless YOU know what you want.

hi do not do burnouts in 3rd gear!!! it's the weakest gear . use2nd gear only!!! it will give you plenty of wheel speed !!!also, 2nd gear is easier on the clutch. we do burnouts at 6300 rpm. ours are very short burnouts in 2nd gear!!

Educate me if i'm wrong! but third gear you have a clutch apply. 2nt you have first gear clutch and a Band on a drum.........I would thing the Drum/ band would be the weak link....?

"Ok, When out and got my instructions on my manual rev valve body. and i Quote.
"All water burnouts should be started in 2nt gear and shifted to third if necessary".

If you must start out in 1st, shift immediately to 2nt, before, you leave the burn out box!

I was wrong as it's implying that 2nt is stronger then 1st

Educate me if i'm wrong! but third gear you have a clutch apply. 2nt you have first gear clutch and a Band on a drum.........I would thing the Drum/ band would be the weak link....?

"Ok, When out and got my instructions on my manual rev valve body. and i Quote.
"All water burnouts should be started in 2nt gear and shifted to third if necessary".

If you must start out in 1st, shift immediately to 2nt, before, you leave the burn out box!

I was wrong as it's implying that 2nt is stronger then 1st

How's that MVB work with a clutch and 4 speed trans? :)

he has a four speed manual trans. so do I. you do not shift a 4 speed in water box. only 2nd gear burnouts.

3rd gear weak? I wouldn't say weak. Not as strong. It ain't a muncie. In the box those tires will spin. And as long as you don't let the car hook up out of the box it wont hurt anything. Greater wheelspeed means less strain on the drivetrain as its just about freewheeling.

this advice was givin by herb mccandless. to a friend of mine, he broke quite a few 3 rd gears in mopar trans. of course, what did he know?? just one of the finest mopar racers around.

#-o Woooop Sorry Folks LOL

don't let it happen again! Lol
I expect perfection from you every time! Lol
I'll start thinking I can start making mistakes, or wait a minute according to most I think everything I've done has been a mistake no sense changing things now! LOL

don't let it happen again! Lol
I expect perfection from you every time! Lol
I'll start thinking I can start making mistakes, or wait a minute according to most I think everything I've done has been a mistake no sense changing things now! LOL

LOL
YOU DON'T KNOW ME VARY WELL.

But i will try and fill them shoes the best i can :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

-
Back