I need some ideas on how to install this fan set up

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Okay, the fan and shroud showed up today. The shroud doesn't fit the radiator so I had to drill new mounting holes. Then I had to drill holes to mount the fans. My problem is how I am going to mount the fan assembly to the radiator with the fans installed. The lip to mount on the radiator will be covered by the shroud and with the fans in place I can't reach through with a box wrench. he fans have to be in place because with the shroud mounted I have no way to get in to thread nuts onto the bolts. Here are some pics.

What I am thinking of is to cut a small notch in the side of the mounting bracket of the radiator. Just big enough to slide a nut in. I'll use a serrated lock washer, so with a 1/4 drive impact, the nut will grab and not spin. The trouble is, there is no room for error and I don't want to cut into the core.

Anyone got any good ideas? Please?

Here is the radiator. See the l shaped lip with the two mounting holes that is on either side. That is my problem, it is internal instead of being flanged out.
View attachment Radiator.jpg

Here are the fan assemblies laid in place and giving me headaches.
View attachment Fans and shroud ready to mount.jpg
View attachment Fans and shroud ready to mount 1.jpg

A small sleeve with threads inside,and a flange on the end.Head for your nearest Ace hardware store,or fastener store.Online Mcmaster-Carr.

I can't remember what they are called right at the moment, but what about those U shaped spring steel ones that will slide over the aluminum and line up with the hole.

Got a pic

Attachments

• images.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 174
There is barely any room in there. Maybe thick enough for two nuts. I would have no way to press them in. I tried sliding a 1/2 inch long 1/4 - 20 bolt in from the radiator side, but I couldn't quite get it. Maybe if I grind it a hair shorter and chase the threads ..... hmmmmm

Personally I would slot the side of that channel and slide a nut in there on an open end wrench.
Is that what you said about being really close to the core?
You would have to be careful, but it looks doable with a moto tool using the cutting wheels.

Personally I would slot the side of that channel and slide a nut in there on an open end wrench.
Is that what you said about being really close to the core?
You would have to be careful, but it looks doable with a moto tool using the cutting wheels.

Maybe 3/8 of an inch. Yes it's doable, but I will have to be careful.

AH 3/8 is plenty of room.
I have a 7/16 open end wrench right here that I mesured the width of and it's just a hair over 1/8 wide.
You'd have almost 1/8 on each side for safety.

That's the way I would do it.
A little grease in the jaws of the wrench to hold the nut, slide the nut in and then the bolt.

Did you figure it out?

How about posting a top profile of the fan shroud laying on the radiator?
Also, a 45 degree angle or two.

A pic as if you were looking down from the top of the rad, so I can see what the side tabs on the fan shroud look like in comparison to the rad.

Based on what pics you have posted already here is an idea:

Since the tabs on the fan shroud do not have any meat to grab really on the rad, remove the side tabs on the shroud and fabricate some nice looking 16 gauge sheet metal tabs shown in red so that they pull the shroud snug to the rad when you tighten the rad to the car. I recommend 4 tabs to match up with the 4 rad bolts. I also recommend running a little weather stripping btw rad and shroud so they seal and dont rub.

Attachments

• fan shroud 001.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 153
Too late for different pics and drawings. It's in and running. I went to O'reillys in town and bought some speed clips in 1/4 - 20 and had to grind them a little shorter to make them fit. Worked like a charm. I drilled a couple other holes for wire mounting straps and had it ready to go. I mounted the tranny cooler, then the shroud, and dropped it in. I had to move the tranny cooler lines about an inch, b ut that was easy. The upper hose needed to be cut about 2 inches. I ran direct battery power to the fans (fused, of course) and ran the ground into the dash for the switch. The switch grounds everything now instead of supplying power. I am going to order a thermostatic relay kit and an aluminum recovery bottle. Everything works, the only hiccup being the nipple to the recovery bottle is on the opposite side of the filler neck and my hose is too short. Gotta extend it a bit.

View attachment Radiator install 6.jpg

View attachment Radiator install 5.jpg

View attachment Radiator install 4.jpg

View attachment Radiator install 3.jpg

View attachment Radiator install 2.jpg

View attachment Radiator install 1.jpg

View attachment Radiator install.jpg

I should also add that I soldered both fans together to a GM alternator clip. It was the only one I could find in town with both male and female ends and with thick enough wire to run the fans. I wanted to be able to unplug them for easy removal if necessary.

-
Back