I no longer f*in hate my car.

-

ValiantBandit

Reaction score
I hate myself instead.

I was able to sell one of my basses for a lot more than I expected to get, so I bought a new ICU and ballast resistor. Whatd'ya know? She fired right up - no crankie crankie or anything.

Seriously to everyone who posted on my "I f*kin hate this car" thread, I thank you so,so,so much. I only got mild hazing for my stupidity and that's better than what I would've done if someone posted such a simple problem like what I had.

I really could not have done it without you guys helping me along, posting diagrams and such insightful answers and I am indebted to you Mopar lovers. You guys really don't know how much it means to me that there are so many slant six experts on this forum that helped me in such a crappy time in my life.

And I learned something when it comes to my car - relax.

I still need to do a tune-up on my car and I intend on doing it in the next 2 weeks. I'm thinking of using Mopar wires and high quality plugs. Any suggestions on what I should use for the ignition coil? I was thinking of an accel or MSD one.

Thank you so much again guys.

I like the MSD Blaster coil. Works well doesnt break the bank.

I know how it goes man.
I do computer repairs for a living and I had been a mechanic for 25 years before that.
If my own computer or my own car flips out, I lose it a little bit.
Glad ya got messed with about also, cause there ain't nothing like a reality check right?
Plus you found that there is still a few people worth knowing.
And the most important thing is that you looked back and saw where things went sideways.
I try to tell myself that as much as I need to. (relax, it's just a car and a situation, and I can deal with both)

It don't apply to just cars either.

Congrats on the success, feels great don't it?

I hate myself instead.

I was able to sell one of my basses for a lot more than I expected to get, so I bought a new ICU and ballast resistor. Whatd'ya know? She fired right up - no crankie crankie or anything.

Seriously to everyone who posted on my "I f*kin hate this car" thread, I thank you so,so,so much. I only got mild hazing for my stupidity and that's better than what I would've done if someone posted such a simple problem like what I had.

I really could not have done it without you guys helping me along, posting diagrams and such insightful answers and I am indebted to you Mopar lovers. You guys really don't know how much it means to me that there are so many slant six experts on this forum that helped me in such a crappy time in my life.

I still need to do a tune-up on my car and I intend on doing it in the next 2 weeks. I'm thinking of using Mopar wires and high quality plugs. Any suggestions on what I should use for the ignition coil? I was thinking of an accel or MSD one.

Super stock coil, the square one? I vote no, nor the MSD. Get yourself a stock electronic distributor coil. wires are wires when it comes to stock iginition, plugs can now be gapped larger .045, and get yourself some of those smog AMC plugs that slant six Dan likes. You can run a larger gap because of the electronic ignition.

You're not stupid. You fixed it in the long run and learned something. Congrats.

what kind of bass did you sell?
I just picked up a fender jazz the other day

I hate myself instead.

A long departed friend always drilled one thing in my head and that was to work with the KISS program. KISS means Keep It Simple Stupid and in most things in life it really works.

I know how it goes man.
I do computer repairs for a living and I had been a mechanic for 25 years before that.
If my own computer or my own car flips out, I lose it a little bit.
Glad ya got messed with about also, cause there ain't nothing like a reality check right?
Plus you found that there is still a few people worth knowing.
And the most important thing is that you looked back and saw where things went sideways.
I try to tell myself that as much as I need to. (relax, it's just a car and a situation, and I can deal with both)

It don't apply to just cars either.

Congrats on the success, feels great don't it?

Yeah it does lol.
Funny you should mention computer repairs...I know Mac laptops from MacBooks, iBooks and especially PowerBooks. I've smashed up a couple of mine out of frustration back in the day... :wack:
I love my Dart more than I hate her. But.... Sometimes stubborn as a woman. Wouldn't call it hate but, frustrating as hell.

A lot like marriage.

The irony is I'm extremely patient with my wife. And it was oh so easy pulling off the ballast resistor (Fought with me there - bolt didn't want to come off.) and the ignition control module (Bolts didn't want to come off either haha.) Still it was cake and I know she fought me b/c she was pissed that I called her a P.O.S. (Yes I apologized before I started her ahaha.)

what kind of bass did you sell?
I just picked up a fender jazz the other day

It was a Rouge Violin bass, left handed just like Paul McCartney's. I bought it for $30 and sold it on fleabay for $134- enough with my paycheck to pay the rent, put $20 in gas in my car and fix it. I hated playing it because it didn't have a contoured heel like my SX short scale P-Bass. I got tiny stubby fingers so I can't even play a full scale! I had a complete 1974 Fender P-Bass pickups and pots I put into my SX and it sounds AWESOME. I'd love to pick up a Fender Jazz (if they ever had a lefty short scale.) , but with the money I make and how much they cost - I'd rather put it into my car, pick up another SX for $130 and modify the hell out of it.

A long departed friend always drilled one thing in my head and that was to work with the KISS program. KISS means Keep It Simple Stupid and in most things in life it really works.

When I 1st started reading your post, my blood began to boil. (I loathe the band KISS with a flaming passion b/c of everything they represent - ESPECIALLY Gene Simmons.) Yeah it was definitely a learning experience. I mean FFS, I worked on probably the most nonsensical cars ever made and acceled at it - Probably because I had it in my mind that it was going to be a pain in the ***...Then I get a vehicle where the ignition system consists of a freakin switch, wires, a ballast resistor, ICU, distributor, rotor,cap,wires and plugs and I act/look like a 16 year old kid who has no idea wtf he's doing.

I'm glad you got it fixed! No need to beat yourself up.....

Thanks. But there is reason - this should've been fixed weeks ago when the idle was acting all screwy and the car was extremely unreliable. My real stupidity there.

Still no reason to beat myself up lol? Okay take this - my 1985 Jaguar XJ6 - Lucas; is known as the prince of darkness for a reason. I remember one night I got so pissed trying to chase down an electrical gremlin that I re-wired the whole damned car. Yes, that's right - a whole Jaguar. In 4 days it was done. A 1976 Plymouth Valiant has 1/100th of the wiring and fuses that a 1985 Jaguar XJ6 has.

I learned that this car keeps it simple and that I'm stupid for not seeing it simply. I needed this as a learning experience - it builds character to have to walk 3 miles to get a pack of smokes because your car doesn't run. I needed to sweat and worry about stuff because I've been slacking on educating myself on this vehicle ( I have 4 manuals - including a 1976 dealership mechanic's manual for this car.) and I've been taking its reliability for granted.

No, I can't drive this car 20,000 miles without doing work to it.
*Shakes head* I wish I had someone out here to smack me upside the head when I worry like this and say (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.)

But I'm over it. I learned and my car continues to put up with me and my crap lol. Btw, I love the colour of your Valiant - I wanted to paint mine that colour but settled on forest green.

The point is, I used to be extremely impatient and hot-headed with a 9/32" fuse. I've gotten 3 trillion times better, but it still shows sometimes.

My kid is a dealer service tech and the parts manager ordered him a direct fit set of AC Delco plug wires for his '76 Dart with a slant. Plug wires were a great fit as far as length and the plug end connections had that positive "click" feel when installed. Go figure - AC Delco. The parts manager told him he would like 'em. He does.

-
Back