I scored an a body rear.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Well after searching for the last 6 mounths for an 8 3/4 a body houseing for my 69 dart I got one today,also got an 489 with 323 gear not posi.It will need a good cleaning axel bearings seals and of coarse paint.Thanks to all in the past that help me on my search.One question right now are the axel bearings pressed on .:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Hey good score man!...and like was mentioned, the bearings are pressed on, they are a bear to get off if you don't have a press, lol! I am doing a rebuild actually right now. I had to replace the bearings, and my retainer plates were all bent and messed up, but I couldn't find anyone with the retainer plates and axle end play adjuster. Cass at Doctor Diff would be able to pull good ones off of the many axles he has, but it would be around $130 bucks or so for the set including bearings..So, I just opted for the green bearing kit he sells for like $60...I kinda wanted to keep the tapered roller style bearings, but I guess I have to try these new green bearings out...

Well this rear stuff is all new to me LOl hope you all dont mind more questions as i go.yesssss it was a good one to get.there was a seller about 2 hours from me that had a rear, drum to drum 741 case he wanted 800 for it.I feel good.,

Excuse my ignorance what's the "489" and "741" case referencing all about?

This is the last three numbers on the part number on the case. The different numbers refer to pinion stem sizes. 741 is generally considered the weakest, while the 742 and 489 are debatable as far as which is stronger. 741 pinion stem is 1-3/8", 742 stem is 1-3/4", and 489 is 1-7/8" tapered stem.

I know that I will be geting new axel bearings but what about the axels them self how does one know if there junk or are still good.

Only things about an axle you can check is drive spline wear and straightness of the axle and wheel flange.
You dont want to put a bent axle back in it.

thanks Redfish,this is something a machine shop should be able to check for me right.Not something I could see with the naked eye or can I.

even though I've heard good things about the green bearings (like no axle adjusting) I went with the reg bearings in mine I think I got them at Napa for around 90 bucks. I took my axles to a local machine shop and they charged me 25 dollars to take off the old ones and press on the new ones and they also welded in a couple of the wheel studs that were sloppy.

Hey thanks Demon seed just what I need,I also like hands on exsperance someone who has done all that.I know its going to be a piece of cake and once i have gone through all this rear stuff,the next won do it my eye closed.I am interested on learing what that adjuster on the right side axel is all about,.

Nice score , I picked a drum to drum 489 case non sure grip with rebuilt drums last summer. I have a 741:bootysha: case 3:91 center for it.

thanks Redfish,this is something a machine shop should be able to check for me right.Not something I could see with the naked eye or can I.

If the rear is assembled ( like finding one in a bone yard ) you can turn the axle and see the wheel flange wobble with the naked eye . Still best to have a shop check them. Good luck

Glad to hear you found the..hard to find 8 3/4(in Ontario,Canada).Now you need to find a nice .489 center with s.g and a 3.55 gear for your all around driving.:cheers:

Thanks pettybludart,i do have a 489 that I got with the deal not posi,there is a fellow car nut about 20 minutes from me who say he has the posi unit to bolt in for 250 bucks thinking about that.Now I feel better geting my 360 installed.

I am interested on learing what that adjuster on the right side axel is all about,.

Snake -
The adjuster on the drivers side is only used with the original tapered axle bearings. No need for adjustment if you use green bearings.

Here's some "lite" reading for ya Snake, mostly on the 8 3/4".

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle.html

:toothy10:

Demon Seed - great link! Thanks.

I noticed a statement within the DC Race Bulletin #16, Rear Axles - link (top of page), located on page 11 within, that made me laugh - because it was noted in a service bulletin - I figured I'd share with everyone, the statement is as follows:

"The only real way to evaluate the whole job is to take the car out and ride it. Remember, most law enforcement officers do not accept this as an excuse for speeding." :toothy10:

-
Back