I sure hope there is help for this.

-

PhillH

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I put my new motor in my 71 Scamp this morning, and as usual I forgot one small thing.
I forgot to line up the flywheel and torque converter before I bolted the tranny up. Does anyone know an easier way to line them up before I start installing bolts an have to keep taking them back out ??? I really hope someone has a tip for this, not looking forward to taking the bolts out three or four more times, ugh. Thanks.

Put in a bolt and turn it around and see if they all line up that's the only way I know of to do it.

At this point you probably have two choices. Pull it apart, line it up and put a splash of spray paint on one tab so you know where it goes.

Or, put a bolt in it and rotate the engine and check it, repeat until you have it line up.

Once you have it lined up mark it with some spray paint, for future reference.

Thats what I was afraid of. I'll put one bolt in and spin it around to see, man is it hard to spin this new motor, I have to go a little, wait for the compression to come down then go a little more. I need a second set of hands for this, I'll wait for a friend to do it. Thanks guys.

Pull the plugs out of it - it will rotate a lot easier. If you have a friend, have them run a ratchet on the crank pulley bolt slowly to help you out!

LOL!!!! DUH, I can't believe I didnt think of that! See more heads are better than one, thanks again LOL.

this is not that big a deal. pull the plugs. i've done this laying on the ground outdoors in the mud. had to try all four possible positions. use a big socket on front of crank. if forget 1 3/16?

some converters and some flex plates are marked

And you may not have to rotate it very far. If you position the flexplate so that there is one hole on either side of the oilpan, you can roll the TC around to each of the 4 positions. This will get you the oddly placed position on the TC.Then if its the same as where the crank is,youre good to go. If its not, just rotate the crank to the next split position, again looking for the match. Yeah, you might still have to reposition the crank 3 times. But at least youll recognize the correct position without ever screwing a bolt in.If you dont understand my ramble let me know and Ill post an example.

Thats what I was afraid of. I'll put one bolt in and spin it around to see, man is it hard to spin this new motor, I have to go a little, wait for the compression to come down then go a little more. I need a second set of hands for this, I'll wait for a friend to do it. Thanks guys.

It's easier if you take out the spark plugs.... #-o

-
Back