I Think I Did The Right Thing......

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Most of you know I live in a pretty poor part of town. Well, one neighbor got a really cool looking pit mix I think and they allow it to run free... (not cool). Good dog and he lets me pet him but he never even had a collar. It seems that the daughter, a whole 12 maybe 13 years old is taking care of the family and dog while the two parents work.

Well..... I had contemplated calling the ASPCA for a couple months but I figured I'd talk to the other neighbor first. My suspicions were correct and she's bearing the brunt of the burden and she's just really a baby for Pete's sake. So, I took one the last of Merlin's old collars, trimmed it down and drilled new holes so it would fit, talked to the neighbor and made sure I wasn't crossing some unknown culture line and brought to her. The kid was really happy and hope that her parents are OK too. My neighbor watched the transaction as well so all is on the up and up.

I did mention to her that there's a "split ring" for the rabies vaccination tag right on the collar. :-D I'm just hoping that they are taking the dog to the vet.....

So, am I an asshole for butting in or am I changing my neighborhood for the better.....? If they can't afford to vaccinate him, I'll do it in a new york second....

I think what you did was an act of kindness towards the family and the dog and I don't see how any harm will come from it.

In the culture they come from, they may actually relate to neighbors helping neighbors, and be grateful, even though they may not know how to show it. Just thinking here......

Not to get religious here but one of the Ten Commandments is 'Love thy neighbor as thy self.'

I think what you did was an act of kindness towards the family and the dog and I don't see how any harm will come from it.

In the culture they come from, they may actually relate to neighbors helping neighbors, and be grateful, even though they may not know how to show it. Just thinking here......

Not to get religious here but one of the Ten Commandments is 'Love thy neighbor as thy self.'

I'm trying my friend, I'm trying. I don't think the owners (Adults) understand the ramifications of having an un-vaccinated dog. I'm just trying to start a repore (sp?) so my and my other neighbor's dogs don't get sick.

I'm sure that poor kid has enough to worry about, but I just tried to help......... I could have called the cops or animal control but I just didn't want to single them out because they live on my block. Maybe I can contact my local district rep in the city and get something started? Talk to my vet? Have a pet awareness week and free vacs in the park?

Anything I can do to keep dogs like my Merlin from being tied up outside and damn near choked to death when they grow might help.

What really deeply sadeness me is the responsibility this poor kid has to take...... :angry7:

Of course you did the right thing...you offered assistance. Try and talk to the parents to be involved in responsible pet owning. Some place do offer free rabies vaccinations. May need to check into that.

Absolutely did a good deed for your neighbor and their pup :cheers:. As far as vaccinations, look for free clinics in your area like redfastback mentioned above.

I am more consurned about the 12 year old girl watching her siblings alone while the parents are at work. Now that's not cool.

Of course you did the right thing...you offered assistance. Try and talk to the parents to be involved in responsible pet owning. Some place do offer free rabies vaccinations. May need to check into that.

Nothing is free in Denver....but I will see my Vet in the morning and throw the idea at her. She may deflect it or want some exposure... I think I can do this while I work... My God, I am going to kill myself, lol. I can call News9 and Fox31. My job sucks but I can do this!

Absolutely did a good deed for your neighbor and their pup :cheers:. As far as vaccinations, look for free clinics in your area like redfastback mentioned above.

I can figure this out 6pk! You all are the best! I have formulated a plan and it may take a couple of months or a couple of weeks,,,,,, Key is election day is only November!

You knew this was the right thing to do before you did it. You sir are an ambassador of good will. Keep up the good work and follow your heart. DD

Joe, a bit of compassion often goes a long way. I think you did an outstanding thing for your neighbor....

You definitely did the right thing, Joe. Besides the vaccination tag, an ID tag with home phone number will do wonders should the dog ever get out.
Do you also have mandatory dog licenses in Denver? Here in the OC, they cost much more if your dog isn't fixed.

I am more consurned about the 12 year old girl watching her siblings alone while the parents are at work. Now that's not cool.

You are 100% correct sir. One thing I do know is not to tell a Latino family how to raise their kids. This is just one step.....

And no, it's not cool. What I can do is make good pet ownership cool and that translates directly to caring for kids, no ****. Start easy and work our way up.

You are 100% correct sir. One thing I do know is not to tell a Latino family how to raise their kids. This is just one step.....

And no, it's not cool. What I can do is make good pet ownership cool and that translates directly to caring for kids, no ****. Start easy and work our way up.

Or, I should just drop it all and not give a crap about anyone's kids, dogs, food, shelter, etc. and just help those here on this site...

You are a good man Ramcharger. I just have a serious soft spot for kids.

You knew this was the right thing to do before you did it. You sir are an ambassador of good will. Keep up the good work and follow your heart. DD

Thank you. She still didn't put it on him but WTF, at least I gave it a try.

Joe, a bit of compassion often goes a long way. I think you did an outstanding thing for your neighbor....

Well, shes just a baby and I hope that maybe her parents understand that people are looking out for all of their well being. If I see anyone HIT THAT GIRL OR HER DOG........... :stop:

You definitely did the right thing, Joe. Besides the vaccination tag, an ID tag with home phone number will do wonders should the dog ever get out.
Do you also have mandatory dog licenses in Denver? Here in the OC, they cost much more if your dog isn't fixed.

Pitts are illegal here in Denver and that's why I wont call the cops. He'll end up the Denver Municipal pound which..... sucks. That's where I got Merlin from and if they think he's a PB, off to the gas chamber he goes...

You are a good man Ramcharger. I just have a serious soft spot for kids.

I do too. I CANNOT IMAGINE what would happen if anyone messed with my last X's kid and I found out..........

And no, I'm not such a good person. I was a hard *** bar brawler for years....

I agree 100%

Yes sir, we are here to protect those that cannot protect themselves. I would gladly die to save a pregnant woman as long as Dok_X would take the dogs, lol. I certainly owe someone a life as I should have been gone away a long time ago.....:clock:

Heaven dont want us and Hells afraid we,d take over

10-4 my friend, 10-4.

I'm just trying let heaven know that I'm at least trying a little bit, lol. I AM NOTHING. but I will do my best....... People, Dogs, Mopar Heads, wherever. I had one member insist that I did not show up to help him out, lol. :read2:

On the other side, don't rip us off. Ever.... It might happen tommorow, it might happen 10 years from now. :read2:

Oh wait, I'm supposed to mellow out..... :bootysha:

Your trying to do the right thing by helping others. If someone has a issue with that, I think there the one who should be in question.

OH, P.S. A New York second is preety darn fast. Blink and you get run over by some dam truck and no one knows the plate number ethier. And they were standing there too!

;)

I do too. I CANNOT IMAGINE what would happen if anyone messed with my last X's kid and I found out..........

And no, I'm not such a good person. I was a hard *** bar brawler for years....

Being a bar brawler doesn't make you a bad person for life..been there, done that, and I don't view myself and I don't think anyone else views me as a bad person. Its not always about where we've been but where we are going and how we chose to get there from here...

As far as the dog, more people need to talk to their neighbors and lend a hand and not just call the authorities. You call on their dog, they call on your old car, you call on their loud music, they break your window, so you kick their *** and we both know who goes to jail.

Kudos to you...

You did the right thing Joe.As far as looking the other way,well we baoth know your heart wouldn't let you do that,don't we. Your a good man Joe,we could use a lot more like you.The dogs one thing but that poor kid should never have to be burdened with that responsibilty.:angry7:

We have the same problem here Joe, But we do have a couple good dog owners close by, I liv way out in the county and people drop dogs off here and all I can do is call the county animal control
My hart goes out to any animal I see being stuck on a leash and no attention being given to them Burns me up!!! I am so happy that you are who you are brother, That little girl has way to much on her plate for a young girl, I, or might I say Buddy lost his shot tag running and pulled it off in the brush some where here in the yard, But I still have my papers. Buddy sure is enjoying the three out of four colors you sent him
The one that lights up and flashes I have yet to use "it's so cool"
I remember a thread here from a few years ago where a dog was not getting watered and I watered him and put a note on the door "you may remember that thread"
You did the only thing that had to be dun and if I know you you could not sleep until something was attempted to help God bless you brother I am sooo proud of your presents in your location and looking out for all the folks around you, what a great neighbor to have. It is a touchy situation and I hope all works out for you and the little girl and there pet, Some folks need supervision.... I wish I could fence in my two acre's so I could let Buddy stay and play outside all the time, But that's not going to happen
I don't need a stray scaring up my Buddy or giving him a diseases Mange to giving him fleas or ticks, But what can I do but keep him clean and all his shots up to date, If you walk off my property you will get ticks and jiggers on you, Before I built my house I had it sprayed and treated and then every spring I do it myself with a spreader on top of the hill about 50 yards around the house and it washes down hill.
I don't get some people, an animal is a responsibility to love them and care for them.
If my animals was un happy I am unhappy. Yep I could go on about this... I have no tolerance when I see things like this. Thank you Joe, You are a saint among men sir.:cheers:

Way to go Joe!!! Ambassador of Good Will indeed! I think you need to add that to your user CP's secondary title. :-D

-
Back