I think its time to give in and buy a new wiring harness

-

Neal Zimmerman

Reaction score
I am just chasing my tail with my 68 fastback. It seems like just about every connector is troubled. Jiggle it a little and the test light comes on, twist it a bit and the light goes out
So what brand of wiring harnesses do you folks like.
American autowire doesnt look factory, nor does Ron Francis, M and H looks pretty much plug and play. Best prices on M and H seem to be Vans Auto LLC on Ebay.
Then there's painless of which I know very little.
Some of these can't even figure out how they work, I cant even see a firewall connector. And the fuse box is modern with the plug fuses.
are there other brands or sources I am overlooking?
Thanks
Neal

I am just chasing my tail with my 68 fastback. It seems like just about every connector is troubled. Jiggle it a little and the test light comes on, twist it a bit and the light goes out
American autowire doesnt look factory, nor does Ron Francis, M and H looks pretty much plug and play. Best prices on M and H seem to be Vans Auto LLC on Ebay.
Some of these can't even figure out how they work, I cant even see a firewall connector. And the fuse box is modern with the plug fuses.
Thanks
Neal
I just got done using a speed master 20 circuit hot rod wiring kit for my 74 power wagon. I think I got it on Black Friday sale for like $78... Plenty of wire to wire my long bed club cab truck...
Bulkheads are for ease of installation for the factory.. yet another spot for a loose connection or a fire... (Likely part of your current problem)... (Get it "current" problem?!!..) LOL..
I've done a number of American auto wire kits on Chevys and Fords and while they're a bit easier and labeled a bit more and have more factory connections on them for the 10 times more price it just doesn't seem worth it to me. My customers like it but I'm the one installing them... Be careful because some kits say their direct fit and all they are is the cheap $80 kit anyways...

if you want the best out there right now its the american auto wire classic update. not original looking but its the best.

you want original then go M&H from year one.

Keep in mind Chrysler was weak when it came to wiring. While Ron Francis may not look factory, it has a lot of advantages such as no firewall connector. That's the one thing I would insist on if I rewired a Mopar. No firewall connector.

If you want a factory look you are going to have to buy a "repop" harness. Either that or rebuild yours which can be done. Most all the connector terminals can be had, and if the plastic connector shells are not all broke/ melted or otherwise damaged you can re-use them

I just installed an American Autowire harness in my Duster. Huge improvement over stock, hands down. And detailed, amazing instructions. Does it look stock? I mean, if you wrapped it like stock it wouldn’t look that different. The fuse block certainly looks modern, but that’s a GOOD thing. The old fuses suck, and there aren’t enough of them. I mean, if you’re doing some original restoration I can see why you would want stock. But for anything other than a show pony and trailer queen I’d upgrade.

I have been reading up on the American autowire classic update kits . Summit has it for 953.10

I just might buy one.
Do these kits include everything from headlights to tail lights and all points in between??

I have been reading up on the American autowire classic update kits . Summit has it for 953.10

I just might buy one.
Do these kits include everything from headlights to tail lights and all points in between??

Everything you need except the crimpers is in the kit. I had leftover terminals, extra wire, etc. Some of it will depend on your particular year/model, but they supply everything.

The only caveat is the kit is laid out around a 1 wire alternator, it does include a heavy gauge charge wire, ground, and 175A fuses for setting up the 1 wire alternator. But obviously it does not include the alternator itself. So if you have a factory alternator with the external regulator you might need a couple extra wires/terminals to make that work.

Of course the American Auto wire is Chevy based not only the four mentioned one wire alternator but he'll have to either convert the kit to utilize your Mopar steering column connection or likely what they want you to do is turn your Mopar steering column connection into a Chevy connection... I haven't seen these kits use much more than a power supply connection for the windshield wipers in most cases you need to reuse all your windshield wiper wires... Again I put these kits in several Chevys and a couple Fords and for myself I just used a generic hot rod kit and saved myself $900... The American Auto wire tools are 150 bucks FYI... two pairs of their special crimpers... There's a small learning curve with them as well.. I do provide some extra crimps for it...

I am an absolute firm believer in the M&H Harnesses offered through Year One!

You must order the correct year harness! Folks have ordered otherwise and they are not the same and blame M&H!

If you Order the correct stuff you will not be disappointed, Mark my word!

IMHO I have seen more "need help with my EZmessedup - DUNRIGHT - 23 and me - Painfull" aftermarket harnesses then any of the OEM stock style harness. plug and play!

Last edited:
but he'll have to either convert the kit to utilize your Mopar steering column connection or likely what they want you to do is turn your Mopar steering column connection into a Chevy connection

the GM connector is a much nicer connector anyway and that is a real easy job.

I haven't seen these kits use much more than a power supply connection for the windshield wipers in most cases you need to reuse all your windshield wiper wires...

looks like the classic update may come with the connectors and wiring for the wipers.. if in doubt you can always call donnie at american autowire. he is the guy that designs their kits..

wiper wires.JPG

Attachments

• wiper wiring.pdf
    464.9 KB · Views: 71

looks like the classic update may come with the connectors and wiring for the wipers.. if in doubt you can always call donnie at american autowire. he is the guy that designs their kits..

View attachment 1715950517
I've called American auto wire several times and they are quick to answer the phone and spot on with help. As a matter of fact today I'm working on a 72 Ford truck and I'll even take a picture for this evening and post it where I have to graft in all the wires for the windshield wipers.... When I did the hot rod kit on my own stuff I converted the wire kit to Mopar so if I ever have to get a new blinker harness in my steering column it'll be plug and play...
Also this Ford truck and a 63 fairline 500 I did neither one of them had bulkhead connectors. I don't think they did factory either they just ran through a hole and firewall and want you to put caulking or something to plug the hole lol...
For my stuff I buy the solder shrink wrap connectors and a heat gun...

It seems like just about every connector is troubled. Jiggle it a little and the test light comes on, twist it a bit and the light goes out
The connectors themselves are not difficult to trouble shoot.
When you got one that is trouble, put down the test light and use your eyes.
Are the plastic connector housings together?
Are the metal terminals in the housings connecting to each other?
* if the locking tabs aren't holding, metal terminals will back out as the connector is pushed together.
* if the spring like features of the terminals have opened they won't hold tight.
Check the wire crimps to the terminals. This is a real weak point, insulation sometimes shrinks, easy location for oxidation, and if the cable is not supported properly or been yanked around the conductors can get unwound.
Check for corrosion and oxidation.

These can be easy fixes, but can also require new terminations, and sometimes even new wire if the conductor is oxidized or untwisted under the insulation.
Most of the harnesses have some ( a little) slack that will allow new terminations to be installed without spliceing in wire. But some locations, especially in the instrument harness, there isn't.

I did the Painless kit in my Duster. Rewires are a pain in the *** anyway you look at it. The painless quality is good, every wire is printed with where it goes and is the same color as factory, you run it and add the connector, uses new style mini fuses, instructions were OK, the install is as good as the person installing it and it not plug n play. It took me about 30 hours to install and I did custom dash and switch panel wiring, trunk mount battery, under dash mounted start and fan relays, soldered . They make a really nice harness wrap.

I would use a painless again.

also, build “service loops” in. AKA run the wires looms a little long and hide a loop of wire. Your future self will thank you if you have to do some work on it down the road.

Of course the American Auto wire is Chevy based not only the four mentioned one wire alternator but he'll have to either convert the kit to utilize your Mopar steering column connection or likely what they want you to do is turn your Mopar steering column connection into a Chevy connection... I haven't seen these kits use much more than a power supply connection for the windshield wipers in most cases you need to reuse all your windshield wiper wires... Again I put these kits in several Chevys and a couple Fords and for myself I just used a generic hot rod kit and saved myself $900... The American Auto wire tools are 150 bucks FYI... two pairs of their special crimpers... There's a small learning curve with them as well.. I do provide some extra crimps for it...

View attachment 1715950517

On the AA kit I just finished the windshield wiper wires were all there, just at the motor they’re terminated with a generic 4 connector female end. The instructions basically say to use your original connection at the wiper and make a pigtail connection using a 4 connector male they provide. The original part of the harness only has to be a few inches long depending on how you route it. There’s also a lot of extra wire left over, so, you could just make a pigtail out of new wire and use the factory connector.

The turn signal switch and ignition switch connectors (if the ignition is in the column) have to be converted, the harness comes with the GM connectors. Or convert the harness using your old connectors. I used the GM connectors, they’re better anyway and no one is going to look at my car and point out a GM connector, they’d have a hundred things to talk about before they even got inside to let that irritate them.

It’s not a harness for an original restoration. But it’s a GREAT harness if you’ve got aftermarket accessories installed.

Last edited:
There’s also a lot of extra wire left over, so, you could just make a pigtail out of new wire and use the factory connector.

thats what i did when i out the AAW highway 22 in my yellow dart. just rebuilt the stock plastic connector. like ya said we had a ton of extra wire and connectors to do so.

I used the AA classic on the 67 barracuda and its all there. I did gut my ammeter and put in voltmeter innards. Also replaced with a one wire alt. If it were not a nut and bolt resto....Id just go without the bulkhead. Run through the firewall with a grommet/goober goo and be happy that i had fresh wires. I didnt know at the time of ordering that the bulkhead was a weak link and that it was for assembly ease only. I was looking to have a factory look, but looking back, not much looks factory anymore.

$0.02

I just might buy one.
Best thing to do is call and speak with someone and actually tell them what you want. No way in HELL would I just blindly pull the trigger on something without knowing. Sometimes you'll see partial harnesses offered that don't include everything and they aren't always marked as such in the ad, so I would call.

Last edited:
The rest of the story...Cooking fuses
Nothing is factory. You've already cut up the harnesses, and best we can tell you don't have a diagram of what you did.
Yes, you might be better off starting from scratch with an aftermarket harness if that's what you want to do.

$950 for an aftermarket wiring harness? I AM in the right business (Telco repair) to start fixing these! I won't make it a hobby but it can be done for far less than 950. Even if you replaced every junction with the correct replacement socket, the wire is not usually the culprit, it's the splices and crimps that are at fault. 90% of your harness is probably A-OK, it's just the connectors that go bad. And you won't end up with a harness that does not follow the factory color codes. Some of you got the funds to just buy a new one, go for it. It will only save you time. And for some of us that is more valuable than money.

$950 for an aftermarket wiring harness? I AM in the right business (Telco repair) to start fixing these! I won't make it a hobby but it can be done for far less than 950. Even if you replaced every junction with the correct replacement socket, the wire is not usually the culprit, it's the splices and crimps that are at fault. 90% of your harness is probably A-OK, it's just the connectors that go bad. And you won't end up with a harness that does not follow the factory color codes. Some of you got the funds to just buy a new one, go for it. It will only save you time. And for some of us that is more valuable than money.
That's entry level pricing for some of these companies. I've installed a few of American Autowire's high end harnesses. One was over 2500 bucks. Don't ask what the difference is. I couldn't tell.

Thanks
Neal
What cleans brass? I'd try that 1st.
Jmo

-
Back