I Wanna Talk About Barracudas

-
Ok then, so the body lines down the profile are the same between the three years? I was somehow under the impression that they were not.
‘64 & ‘65 are the same sheet metal AFAIK
‘66 has the look, but not exactly as the next three years.
‘67-‘68’-‘69 AFAIK, are the same sheet metal except the ‘69’s nose.

Now there is an oddity I was made swear of and that’s glass.
Side windows are made for the year, make of the model, SO!

A ‘67 FB side glass will not fit a notch back or convertible.
They also will not fit a ‘68 or ‘69.
If someone knows better, please pipe in!

Other than marker lights, hood inserts and grill, I can’t think of any.

Last edited:
Also, on a '67, the V.I.N. plate is in the driver's front door jam (like all other cars '67 and older) and the '68 and up cars had the V.I.N. up on the driver's side of the dash visible through the windshield.
And the windshield and back glass had no stainless trim on them from the factory on '67s only.

the vent window frames are different on a 67’ vs 68’ & 69’

‘64 & ‘65 are the same sheet metal AFAIK
‘66 has the look, but not exactly as the next three years.
‘67-‘68’-‘69 AFAIK, are the same sheet metal except the ‘69’s nose.

Now there is an oddity I was made swear of and that’s glass.
Side windows are made for the year, make of the model, SO!

A ‘67 FB side glass will not fit a notch back or convertible.
They also will not fit a ‘68 or ‘69.
If someone knows better, please pipe in!

Other than marker lights, hood inserts and grill, I can’t think of any.
Bumble: Not sure if I understand this;
"A ‘67 FB side glass will not fit a notch back or convertible.
They also will not fit a ‘68 or ‘69."

So I will add my 2cents to attempt to clarify on the glass.

The side glass on the 67 thru 69 Barracuda is unique to the body style. The vent window glass is same between models AND years. The notchback (also called coupe), the Fastback and the convertible glass will interchange between the years. Be aware there is tinted and non tinted glass. You could just get the front window tinted and not the sides. Later years when you purchased A/C ChryCo would automatically get you the tinted glass upgrade, but in these years it was still a separate option. Also fun fact the 'Vert side glass will interchange with the Dart verts of the same 3 years.

Seems there's more to this than I thought. LOL

Seems there's more to this than I thought. LOL
Agreed. It boggles my mind to try and understand the extra cost/resources the Big 3 spent on doing these year to year changes for so long. Poor little ChryCo as the smallest least profitable of them was having a hard time keeping up. Just the idea of economies of scale that they felt they needed to overcome to be profitable. As a comparison the Brits and the European auto manufactures would really only do changes as enhancements to the product. Look to the VW beetle as a an extreme example of what I'm talking about. Today the "American" automobile manufactures have adopted this and model year changes are often kept to paint and minor trim changes to milk out the profits minimizing the need for retooling as much as possible.

In case you get run over by one and only see the front end, under the rear, and the car leaving the scene.... This is a 69 340-S.

IMG_3417.jpeg

IMG_3416.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg

Door locks are located further back on the 67. They moved them forward on the 68-69 so you don’t have to reach over your shoulder to lock/unlock the door.

Toolmanmike, yep, you can tell by the springs hanging off the end plate!
And here is my old 69 Silverfish! Note the hood and rectangular reflectors. Wish I had kept the red interior from this car.

image000000.jpeg

I've always favored the Notchback over the Fastbacks
Another "Some Day Car".

Toolmanmike, yep, you can tell by the springs hanging off the end plate!
And here is my old 69 Silverfish! Note the hood and rectangular reflectors. Wish I had kept the red interior from this car.

View attachment 1716012587
Tom, my first 69 Barracuda race car was that silver/gold colour with a red interior. I will have to post a picture when I get to my other computer. It was Quicksilver II. My 66 race car was the first Quicksilver.

old racecar.jpg

The wife’s ‘67 has no letters, don’t know why, got it that way. Not filled in anywhere.
Wish my 67 had no letters on the header panel. I'll never understand why they used fancy scripts for all other badging but block letters scattered all the way across the nose. Even the small badge on the front right corner of the 68 header is still block letters. They had a nice plymouth script on the quarter or trunk of earlier models that they could/should have used.
1960 Plymouth Fury Original Trunk Script Emblem | eBay

Yup
You sure? what`s different about them?
I can't find a picture to illustrate it but the 67 (along with the 67 Valiant) the window droops near the top, if you look at the car from the side you can see it. If you were to put a straight edge down the center on a 67 it will have a gap of like a inch near the top, in 68 this droop was removed. Keep in mind the frame is the same and the glass is interchangeable.

Alan

Last edited:
69cudaowner, it has a 340, 4 speed. I added a fold down rear seat, carpeted rear, a 3.55 limited slip, and the deluxe interior. It has the slow steering ratio and no options. Stripper.

-
Back