I want metal tubing not plastic for my oil pressure gauge!

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I was washing my 1965 Barracuda the other day and when I passed the sponge across the area around the wipers where I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge installed (on the outside cowl right in front of my field of vision) the plastic line snapped off. Well, that portion of the tube is always baking in the sun and the plastic probably became stiff and weathered after a few years. Has anyone found where to purchase the old style metal line that used to be included in the mechanical oil pressure gauge box? I want to upgrade from plastic before it happens again. Thank you.

I was washing my 1965 Barracuda the other day and when I passed the sponge across the area around the wipers where I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge installed (on the outside cowl right in front of my field of vision) the plastic line snapped off. Well, that portion of the tube is always baking in the sun and the plastic probably became stiff and weathered after a few years. Has anyone found where to purchase the old style metal line that used to be included in the mechanical oil pressure gauge box? I want to upgrade from plastic before it happens again. Thank you.

This is from Summit Racing

Equus 9901 - Innova Mechanical Oil Pressure Line Kits
equ-9901_s.jpg

Compare
Gauge Supply Line, Copper Tubing, Natural, 6 ft. Length, Fittings, Kit

(14)

Part Number: EQU-9901 More Detail...

Estimated Ship Date: Monday 10/10/2016

$12.97

They usually have some hanging in the gauge section of any autozone,oriellys or napa.

buy it at o'reilly all the time...in a kit...

I used the copper kit from Summit. I have had tech inspectors say for an annual inspection they won't pass the plastic line? I made a small circle after it comes out of the sending unit and before going into the gauge under the dash for vibration.

I used the copper kit from Summit. I have had tech inspectors say for an annual inspection they won't pass the plastic line? I made a small circle after it comes out of the sending unit and before going into the gauge under the dash for vibration.
If you have seen a nylon oil pressure line pop,and catch an engine compartment,headers & hot exhaust system on fire,You would understand..(Happened to me ONCE,never again...)

funny this came up. I just broke the 2 washer nozzles clean off the supply tube of my 4 year old minivan. Brittle city! I just tried to move the line over about an inch to **** the air cleaner top up. The oil filter in a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan "Spitfire" 3.3 V6 is an old paper element that sits in a well, like the old '60 slant (but the well is logically placed with the bowl down) so you can unscrew the top and the captive filter element pulls out. Pull the element out of the cap and snap the new one it, replace the included O-ring and tighten back down with a 15/16 6 point socket.

JEGS has some Auto Meter 3224: 1/8" Diameter Copper Tubing, 6-Feet Long | JEGS. My local NAPA also had this in stock.

If you have seen a nylon oil pressure line pop,and catch an engine compartment,headers & hot exhaust system on fire,You would understand..(Happened to me ONCE,never again...)

Same here but it was a 6 month old copper line that popped when a engine mount failed on a hole shot. I went with braided hose ever since then. Problem solved. At least it was a little fire.

I guess I am the odd man out. I always preferred the nylon line when I ran a manual gauge. I have run the copper line and every time without fail, I had it break. Since the engine moves independently from the body, there is always flex. The nylon eliminates that breakage problem. But, as mentioned already, electric gauges are best. No need to run oil into the passenger's compartment. This is the 21st century, after all.

I guess I am the odd man out. I always preferred the nylon line when I ran a manual gauge. I have run the copper line and every time without fail, I had it break. Since the engine moves independently from the body, there is always flex. The nylon eliminates that breakage problem. But, as mentioned already, electric gauges are best. No need to run oil into the passenger's compartment. This is the 21st century, after all.
I`ve always ran copper, but am thinking about switching it to braided. just happened to have copper laying around on this build.

-
Back