Idiot light questions from a dummy

-

demon322

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The custom fabricated dash in my race car already has warning lights for water temp and oil pressure. I have decided they might as well be functional. I run mechanical gauges but I have found some relatively cheap ‘kits’ with senders and wiring to run the warning lights. My question is, where to mount them. There is a plugged hole near the sender for my temp gauge. Is this an option for the sender for the warning light? Similar question for the oil warning. Opposite where the oil pressure gauge sender is a plug. Wasn’t sure if they go to the same place where I could run the sender for the oil warning light there.

F4878A59-C2CB-4E63-B37A-32F8E4364A40.jpeg

6FC8C91A-2B5C-457C-BC3A-F40756BA9B07.jpeg

I wish I could help, but will say you can't be too much a dummy with a big block demon. Are the warning lights triggered off of the existing gauges? Seems like if you kept an eye on the gauges you wouldn't need a warning light, sorry that's probably not the best help

Seems like if you kept an eye on the gauges you wouldn't need a warning light
rotate all gauges so "Normal" the needles are all pointing up. (NASCAR trick) anything not pointing up will catch your eye

I appreciate the replies guys and I agree that I don’t really “need” the warning lights. It’s mostly just my ocd. They are already mounted in the dash. I was just thinking of making them functional.

Sorry we did kind of get off track.
It looks like the plugs you point out might work.

There was also device made back in the 60s by chrysler that used the variable guage sender output to trigger a warning light. There might be a modern equivalent.

I hope that oil pressure line isnt plastic. You might want to use at least copper for that. If it breaks, its gonna hose everything down with hot oil. Jegs and summit sell the copper line kit for cheap.

Sorry we did kind of get off track.
It looks like the plugs you point out might work.

There was also device made back in the 60s by chrysler that used the variable guage sender output to trigger a warning light. There might be a modern equivalent.
I agree, u can get Mopar sending units for the lights that will screw right into those ports. Sending units for a gauge are different so make sure u get the right ones. Kim

I hope that oil pressure line isnt plastic. You might want to use at least copper for that. If it breaks, its gonna hose everything down with hot oil. Jegs and summit sell the copper line kit for cheap.
I need to look into this for sure. I’ve wondered why the gauges don’t just come with copper line to begin with.

I agree, u can get Mopar sending units for the lights that will screw right into those ports. Sending units for a gauge are different so make sure u get the right ones. Kim
Sounds good Kim. I just wasn’t sure, especially on the oil ports on the back of the block. There are two ports opposite each other and one is currently just plugged. Could it be as easy as just threading a sending unit into one side and leaving the pressure line hooked up to the other?

For the oil pressure just install a tee into the back of the gauge and install the sender.
I have never thought of this, but did notice that some of the kits come with a tee fitting.
I thought I had seen a tee fitting used in the block and assumed that’s what that was for I guess.

-
Back