idler arm interference

-

hepcat

Reaction score
also in middle of 1970 swinger slant 6 to 440 swap. having major problem with oil pan idler arm interference. first pan i bought that was supposed to work was a night mare of bfh clearancing and grinding of k frame lip just to get motor down in the hole. realized it was never going to let me turn to the right so unless i only wanted to make left turns it had to come back out. found a pan on 440 source that supposed to be a repro of c body pan with the notch built in for idler arm cleance so put it on and it is nowhere near correct either. i tried to clearance it with hammer and not working. either i am doing something wrong or my 70 was put together differently or idler and pittman arms are too short or bent or something. even raisng the motor with 3/8 spacers isnt going to clear. i am wondering if idler arms could be heated and bent down jjust enough to clear or if that is impossible. only other solution i guess is fabbing my own pan notch which i can do but i dont understanc why nobody else seems to have this problem i'm having

thanks for responding but i don't think that would work unless they are thinner on the ends.

IMG_5071.jpeg

IMG_5072.jpeg

Where im pointing is where it hits the pan ive already removed pan and cutting it up

You need a V8 center link and the correct oil pan. A factory Chrysler "187" pan will fit and work.

I have a repro 187 and after 68 the v8 and /6 used the same centelink from what ive seen on here

And the centerlink clears fine its the idler arm/centerlink passenger side connection that slams into the side of the pan about an inch behind the "factory" notch. It looks like the motor needs to be moved back but ive got it as far back as she'll get

When all else fails
Switch to the 73 up system
Which has the balls in the same place but the studs point down.
The matching parts are; the two arms and the center link.
But before you go there, make sure your current steering arms are being stopped properly, so that she is not over-steering.
And make sure the two steering arms are the same length, from the centers of the pivot balls to the centers of the pivot bolt on the idler and the center of the sector-shaft on the pitman.

Good idea. Also I was thinking of getting a new idler arm just to compare with mine to see if it might be bent.

well i got a new idler and there is no difference between the 2 so i went with cutting and enlarging the notch which was a pain but it works and i also put a 1/4 inch spacer under passenger side and 3/8 under driver side motor mount and now have headers installed, spark plugs back in (wow is that a challenge on middle 2 on passenger side) now working on modifying a couple of spark plug wires and modifiying trans dipstick mount.

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

IMG_5076.jpg

No such thing as a 67-76 A-body slant 6 centerlink.

Why not use the repro 893 Big Block oil pan? That was actually made for this.

Have you checked the motor location? What conversion mounts or conversion K-member are you using?

Which brand headers?

Last edited:
i have schumacher tri y and their slant six mounts. it will have to remain a mystery. maybe its been wrecked or jumped or just made so sloppy it just doesnt quite fit like every body elses. i dont see any evidence of front collision tho. every thing seems to work now because i made it work that is a repro 893 or 187 pan with the notch 440 source part numbers are the same see previous in post

Last edited:
well i got a new idler and there is no difference between the 2 so i went with cutting and enlarging the notch which was a pain but it works and i also put a 1/4 inch spacer under passenger side and 3/8 under driver side motor mount and now have headers installed, spark plugs back in (wow is that a challenge on middle 2 on passenger side) now working on modifying a couple of spark plug wires and modifiying trans dipstick mount.

View attachment 1716103232

View attachment 1716103233

View attachment 1716103234

View attachment 1716103235
I had to do the samething to my 440 pan years ago. It was a 318 car.

Something in your world must be different, because the 187 pan works for virtually everyone.

OP .
You're talents are 60 years late, lol.
You belong with us that didn't have after market specialty parts, we modified/fabricated as nec .
Good job ! !

Late to the party..!! I had similar issues. Engine had to come up a bit and trans placement was critical. Trans moved slightly towards the drivers side in the mount made huge gains with the steering linkage. No cutting or denting the pan was needed. 71 swinger small v8 to 383 4 speed conversion…Swingn’

Late to the party..!! I had similar issues. Engine had to come up a bit and trans placement was critical. Trans moved slightly towards the drivers side in the mount made huge gains with the steering linkage. No cutting or denting the pan was needed. 71 swinger small v8 to 383 4 speed conversion…Swingn’
That maybe contributing to my problems because not only am i making a 440 dart im using a 46rh overdrive trans so there is no side to side clearance as far as trans is concerned. Also power steering aint helping but im pretty sure i got it licked now

That maybe contributing to my problems because not only am i making a 440 dart im using a 46rh overdrive trans so there is no side to side clearance as far as trans is concerned. Also power steering aint helping but im pretty sure i got it licked now
Yeah, there is .
I was 15ish, putting a 392 hemi into an Austin Van, someone said ain't gonna fit.
I asked for a bigger hammer.
Was about the time I was Christened " inertia "
Good luck ,

Yes…PS makes for big clearance headaches..!! Manual steer here. Sounds like you will have a good combo when done.!! Stick with it, you will get it in the end…Swingn’

-
Back