If you were building a Mopar sleeper....

-

DusterKrazy

Reaction score
What would it be?? I thought a Fifth Avenue on spray would be crazy fun. I'm talking no bright colors,obvious hood scoops or overly loud exhaust. Something very sedated. Sh*t brown metallic or possibly a funky green ...
Do tell..do tell..

1960 Chrysler NewYorker with a 500" stroker and torque improving longram intakes...

kingcruiseaug2008_124-B.jpg

SNCaug08005.jpg

**** brown, Gold interior with blanket on the front seat. 480hp 340, 8"t/A 904, low 1st gear, T/a reverse manual valvebody on the column of coarse, the 3" flowmaster kinda gave it away though.

Attachments

• 2031.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 965
I can't imagine a 480 horse 340 "sounding" like a sleeper. ha ha.

My idea of a sleeper is first, MUST be a moredoor. Far too many "cheap post" bodies were sleeper wannabees. Wagons work.

Second HAS to be stone dead quiet. If ya need 4 mufflers, then, ya.

Of course, NO headers. The telltale tinkedy tink. Maybe wrapped ones'd get buy, if you can't SEE them hangin.

No "wheels" of any kind, and if you run so much HP that you need BIG rear meats, then you screwed the sleeper image. Might just have to be happy with "rolling" starts.

No visible tach, and no big autometer, shift lights, "boxes", etc.

No fancy floor shift, B&M or Cheetah shifters

No visible trunk mount battery disconnect

And of course YOU have to "be" the part. Look a little nerdy. Suck it up and USE those flip-ups. Wear a silly hat. Kids toys in the rear window. Maybe an empty baby bottle, er empty kids seat in the back.

1965 New Yorker. Right now its all original. I plan on stroking the 413 that is in it and rebuild the rest of it. Exterior will look stock but suspension is getting upgraded.

360magnum043.jpg

360magnum044.jpg

Sleeper I had a few years ago 79 Aspen moredoor with a 360 with about 350 h.p. The only give away was the headers, suprised a lot of Mustangs and Camaros with it. Looking for another one now to do the same with a 360 I have now or maybe a gen 3 hemi. :drinkers:

Attachments

• 016_13A.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 972
  • 018_15A.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 965
  • 019_16A.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 946
  • 020_17A.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 965
  • 024_21A.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,038
I say take a beat up 4 door valiant or dart, drop in a slant six stroker and a giant turbo.....
Sleeper? I THINK SO! LOL

Youtube slant six turbo. they sound like a straight pipe car and run 10's

I can't imagine a 480 horse 340 "sounding" like a sleeper. ha ha.

My idea of a sleeper is first, MUST be a moredoor. Far too many "cheap post" bodies were sleeper wannabees. Wagons work.

Second HAS to be stone dead quiet. If ya need 4 mufflers, then, ya.

Of course, NO headers. The telltale tinkedy tink. Maybe wrapped ones'd get buy, if you can't SEE them hangin.

No "wheels" of any kind, and if you run so much HP that you need BIG rear meats, then you screwed the sleeper image. Might just have to be happy with "rolling" starts.

No visible tach, and no big autometer, shift lights, "boxes", etc.

No fancy floor shift, B&M or Cheetah shifters

No visible trunk mount battery disconnect

And of course YOU have to "be" the part. Look a little nerdy. Suck it up and USE those flip-ups. Wear a silly hat. Kids toys in the rear window. Maybe an empty baby bottle, er empty kids seat in the back.

I agree!!

I think a mid '70's Fury could be a sleeper though. Who expects something like a '75 Fury to have anything lol. Two door or four door!

Smogger era body types are very unsuspecting. I agree with all the above points though for sure!

No visible tach,wide tires or loud exhaust. NOTHING sticking through the hood. That totally gives it away. NO HOOD SCOOPS!

I'm thinking also that the car needs just the steel wheels with no dog dishes. Or some crappy full cover hucaps...

What do you guys reccomend for a decent free flowing muffler that isn't that loud?

**** brown, Gold interior with blanket on the front seat. 480hp 340, 8"t/A 904, low 1st gear, T/a reverse manual valvebody on the column of coarse, the 3" flowmaster kinda gave it away though.

What does the rest of the engine look like adam? from top to bottom.

Make sure to have (rusty) steelies with hub caps but have it were its missing one or two of them. Ultimate pos sleeper look there.

i have a buddy with a 63 4 door newport, all white. has a pretty nice 440 that gets him into the 11's which i consider pretty nasty.lol....personally i almost bought a 2 door diplomat that i would have loved to drop a 408 in....would have got tired of hearing "nice malibu" though..lol

What does the rest of the engine look like adam? from top to bottom.

* 1973 340 block
* decked to +.020 deck height(pistons above deck)
* bored .030 over
* Ross flat tops with max weight removal option*** and .927 pin bores* B&B tool steel wrist pins, 2.500 X.927 X .090 wall(piston and pin 525g)
* OE rods bushed to .927, fully polished, resized, lightened, ARP bolts
* OE steel crank( reground, strokes equalized, indexed)
* Milodon deep pan
* Melling oil pump
* double roller timing set
* Crower 262/265 @ .050, .575/.585 solid lifter cam
* Crower lifters
* ported 587 heads with MP 2.02/1.60 valves, milled for true 11:1 CR flow 260/173 at .600 lift
* bronze guides and hardened exhaust seats
* Crower dual springs
* Comp 10deg retainers and machined locks
* Edelbrock LD340 intake, gasket matched, Direct Connection plenum mods, opened up for spread bore carb
Demon Sizzler 910Cfm Race Prepped Thermoquad
* Harland Sharp 1.5 roller rockers and HD thick wall shafts
* Crane pushrods
* MP moly coated fuel pump eccentric
* MP OEM replacement 340 damper
* Carter Strip mechanical fuel pump

It certainly didnt sound like a sleeper, Im sure with the right exhaust I cold have quieted it down a whole lot. The motor was dynod with a victor intake and 750 proform carb so it was probably short a few ponies in the car

Nice Adam you got 480 Im hoping for at least 450hp from my 360 with a smaller same and .3 comp less

I am building a sleeper out of a 65 Dart 4dr. 360/518/8.75

My absolute most favorite mopar was a 71 4dr Newport. I put in gears, built some very big rear springs, cammed the engine, put duals on it with big mufflers, and put 200hp of spray on it. I was 19 at the time. I now have a 69 300 that is a 2dr, same color, no options but PS and PB. It is slightly heavier than a B body, but looks MUCH heavier. The plan is an RB stroker with NO2 and lots of mufflers. IMO, sleepers need to be quiet, and be unassuming. These are not street racers, which need to be primered and hammered looking... But a nice, clean, old person's car that hauls ***.

My absolute most favorite mopar was a 71 4dr Newport. .

Not tryin' to make light of your ride, but.......... to many people these spell "could'ha been a cop car"

You know, the "Blue's Brothers?"

" It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension. "

While I can see your point that was not my experience...lol.
They look nothing alike (the body style ran from 68-71), and this car was the tried and true faded olive green metallic. Later, I added a home made functional hood scoop, blacked the grille, trim, and hood out, and created "383" billboards and 383 4bbl emblems on the sides... lol. Then as a friend and I were sleeping in it at a swap meet we overheard all kinds of ignorant comments. including that it was an ultra rare 4dr super bee. No digital pics exist of this car, but it is still my out and out favorite and most "reaction inspiring". More so than the 6bl 71 Cuda, or 71 ragtop Cuda I had.
I'll also add I outran a buick GN, on the highway, somewhere around 135mph, for over 5 miles, carrying 5 other people with it. I got chased thru town in it, got threatened twice in it (one guy broke his hand trying to punch my window out)... In terms of reactions, this car was a magnet...lol.

Just like the 66 Belvedere that "whacked" my 69 Runners *** years and years ago. The 2 door 66 was in full grey primer, no hood scoop, 426 with dry sump oil system (oil tank in the trunk) which let the engine be lowered enough that the 8 Hilborn injectors could still breath. Oh yea did I mention the wrinkle wall tires, that should of been warning enough.:angry3:

While I can see your point that was not my experience...lol.
They look nothing alike (the body style ran from 68-71), and this car was the tried and true faded olive green metallic. Later, I added a home made functional hood scoop, blacked the grille, trim, and hood out, and created "383" billboards and 383 4bbl emblems on the sides... lol. Then as a friend and I were sleeping in it at a swap meet we overheard all kinds of ignorant comments. including that it was an ultra rare 4dr super bee. No digital pics exist of this car, but it is still my out and out favorite and most "reaction inspiring". More so than the 6bl 71 Cuda, or 71 ragtop Cuda I had.
I'll also add I outran a buick GN, on the highway, somewhere around 135mph, for over 5 miles, carrying 5 other people with it. I got chased thru town in it, got threatened twice in it (one guy broke his hand trying to punch my window out)... In terms of reactions, this car was a magnet...lol.

Was the guy pissed that you out ran him or something??

-
Back