ignition HELP asap PLEASE

-
Okay I had to take a break, get warm cuz I'm doing it in a shopping center lol shouldn't have wore steal toes I can't get this last screw out I tried twice, I don't want to strip it the turn signal switch all the screws are out the turn signals back is off I think there's like a washer left that's the turn signal switch all the screws are out the turn signals back is off I think there's like a washer left that's actually you know it's not even holding it on anymore everything's taken off except that one screw and I can start taking off the column but the little clip up top there goes to my drives Park and reverse and neutral, that as soon as I move it is going to fall out of place, from this point forward should I be worried about anything I'm taking longer I'm taking longer than I should have on the turn signal switch but I don't its brittle I don't want to break it cause my turn signals work

tmp_5656-PHOTO_20161227_1012431188469747.jpg

tmp_5656-PHOTO_20161227_101226210009619.jpg

tmp_5656-PHOTO_20161227_101208-51610030.jpg

Do you have a factory service manual for your car? I can never understand people who get an old car and 1) have ZERO tools and 2) never have a factory service manual. That manual should be available as a free download. I cannot remember the link though. Maybe someone will chime in who does.

Do you have a factory service manual for your car? I can never understand people who get an old car and 1) have ZERO tools and 2) never have a factory service manual. That manual should be available as a free download. I cannot remember the link though. Maybe someone will chime in who does.
I buy them as I need them

There is an internal locking ring clip on that center spindle. It's a PITA to get out because the bearing is right up against it.
I've always needed a home made puller to get the housing off at this point when you get the plastic turn signal switch assembly out of the way.
It's sort of tight.
A piece of pipe with a washer welded on one end with holes in the washer and a nut welded on the other end to put a bolt in to push on the center spindle.
Use those screws and being careful.
Found this.
How To Install an Ignition Switch in 1970 Dodge Dart

dsc_0107-jpg.1714976069.jpg

It doesn't help if someone can't get the column unlocked but I carry a spare ignition switch with me. The white flat connector is on the steering column and I at least can start and drive the car easily if the switch ever goes bad by piggy backing the switch.
Just planning head.
2.jpg

I am sorry I cannot remember where the link is. They are available as a FREE download, I just cannot remember where. Hopefully someone will chime in.

I got lucky there's only two of them in one of them to cross the state and the other one's right here in town they put her hold her own on it for me I just had to go across town and get it I would have warmed up a little bit but now I'm about to buy him put it on

Just follow the pics I posted in that other thread the the pics in this thread and you'll be good to go. Easy to do.

Un screw the 3 turn signal screws on the plate. You may have to separate the electrical connection under the column to get enough length to remove the signal over the shaft.
also remove the snap ring on shaft.
Then there are the screws that hold the housing on. Now you should be able to get to the key. These are most likely a swage mount so you can only just loosen to get the housing to come off.

good luck

68 strg col-1.jpg

-
Back