I'm confused.

-
Never Have I seen a factory 440 A body. I'm from MO. show me some production #, Please, so I can believe.
I had a friend that a had a factory 440 '69 Barracuda. Somewhere in the 90's they put it in one of the Mopar magazines. I have the issue somewhere...

I grew up a chevy guy. 72 chevelle, 71 monte carlo many years ago. Also drove a couple of 5.0, 5 speed fox body mustangs. This is a really trivial thing, but I notice that everyone seems to be ok with calling pre 1970 barracudas "cudas", which they aint. Back in the 80s, I knew guys that had A body barracudas, and E body cudas that were offended if you didn't keep the names straight.
So what the hell?

That's because you are a Chevy guy!

Never Have I seen a factory 440 A body. I'm from MO. show me some production #, Please, so I can believe.
I can't give you the numbers, but there absolutely were 440 darts factory built in 1969.
I'm sure someone here can back me up on this.
Absolutely positively if this is a fact! If you can I take my word for it, I understand, this is the Internet after all. But I have seen a 1969 440 Dart.

One saturday night cruising and stop lite racing in decatur il I paired off against a guy in a ratty 67 Dart with my 73 340 Duster. After kicking his butt up and down eldorado street he got mad.
We stopped an talked. He said he had a car at home that would kick my butt. Well I followed him home. Sure enough he did. The horses butt had a 69 440 m code Dart. That was the first one I every saw but not the last.

The "Cuda" name was/is used by the factory to specify the High Performance version of the barracuda model Plymouths. Some people will answer "Cuda" when asked what model of Plymouth they had instead of Barracuda because they don't have a "real" one and they thought it made them sound like they had a "cooler" car than a standard Barracuda. That would be like a guy with a LeMans saying he had a GTO.

In '68 Mr Norms did a dealer conversion of 383 cars to 440, Darts only. Then in '69 the factory did it. 5th digit is M, Darts were GTS, Barracuda was coupe or fastback in a 'Cuda 440 package. All were automatics.

I knew a guy back in the 80's that had a true Mr. Norm GSS Dart...

His nephew had an original M code 69 Barracuda...

So i have been typing Barra for all this time in order to not offend anyone? Damn.
I prefer to call it a Barracuda as thats what it is.
If it had Cuda script, then i would call it a cuda.
I like the fact it is an early barracuda and will still refere to it as that.

So i have been typing Barra for all this time in order to not offend anyone? Damn.
I prefer to call it a Barracuda as thats what it is.
If it had Cuda script, then i would call it a cuda.
I like the fact it is an early barracuda and will still refere to it as that.

Same here, since I own one .

The "Cuda" name was/is used by the factory to specify the High Performance version of the barracuda model Plymouths. Some people will answer "Cuda" when asked what model of Plymouth they had instead of Barracuda because they don't have a "real" one and they thought it made them sound like they had a "cooler" car than a standard Barracuda. That would be like a guy with a LeMans saying he had a GTO.
When I drove my 69 Barracuda (318 2 barrel auto) in the late 70's my mopar buddies would call it "barely a cuda". I thought it was funny! Still have it and always refer to it as a Barracuda though rather than a 'cuda but don't care what other folks do.

I have heard of Big Foot.
LOL...… :D

Funny thing is, when they put my friends '69 440 cuda in the Mopar magazine on the front cover, they changed the color of green than what it really was, made him mad. I watched him restore this car to it's correct condition.

Sort of like MOPAR is slang for motor parts. Goes way back. Yep didn't take long (1964?) before people just shortened the name and called them CUDA! Then mother mopar took advantage of it.

97CD8AA9-7F62-4864-9561-D07C59DC889C.jpeg

I love my 66' Barracuda but refer to it as Cuda all the time, my kids know it as that as well.

The only real issue is Corvette guys getting mad when you call a Chevette a "Vette."
Now that's one way to get purist panties in a bunch!

I always had in mind the 'Cuda was a later version of the Barracuda. When growing up in the '60's I don't recall the reference to the shortened version, only Barracuda, and Mustangs were Mustangs. (and men were men?)

men.jpg

I run into women in there 70s and always call the car a Cuda. They all say the same thing. “My boyfriend had one and the back seats fold down with a lot of room. “. My son would always tell me that was way too much information.

-
Back