in China are first rate, not to say they are all that way, but for gods sake,
we are getting lazy and sloppy here.

So my 600 dollar Dougs headers are not only a ***** to install, oh and you
have to hack up your Z bar, but the goddamn bolt holes are so freakin far
off, I'm going to have to drill the mounting holes about 1/4" bigger to get
the bolts in. I find it hard to believe with cast factory manifolds that have
little give, that it's my heads.

So do they not have a template to check the pattern when they are all
welded up? Maybe they check before welding and figure they won't move?
Maybe they got way smaller when they were coated (doubtful). Perhaps,
they should make the holes bigger when they are made? The cheap headers
that were on there had no bolt up issues.

Just another sad story of manufacturers not giving a crap of how things
actually fit and leaving it up to the consumer to fix and make things work.

Send em back! Z bar issues seem to be the norm with all manufactures, but flange holes not lineing up? BTW China = absolute crapmatic products. and they`re communists bastards and I could go on and on so I won`t:angry7:

I can see all three points of view. I think it's up to all of us(from p.eng to janitor) to go to work tomarrow with a good attitude and do a quality job efficiently and safely. It's up to us to fix this thing. BTW I'm sticking with my leak free hp manifolds. Greg. IBEW member

Our God had nothing to do with this... or did he ?

F--- China. U.S. Workers just do what they're told. I've experienced this.

I work for a car manufacturer that makes a product stateside and overseas.

Want to know which is better?

you need to tighten up John. lol

That's exactly what I had to do: tighten-up almost every damn bolt that was left loose from the stateside factory! Cars with no transmission fluid or A/C lines not being CONNECTED, never mind no R-134! And these were cars coming off of the delievery trailer! Never mind the cars being aligned....

It's a different world these days.... Like it or not.

Most stuff made in America is crap. I worked for a company called Top End. They made sport wheelchairs. Well the owner was a hack who stole ideas, changed something small and called it his own. We had good welders then who took pride in there work. Big Dummy sold out to a major POS company called Invacare out of Deleria Ohio. Well they send some guy down to be the new plant manager, his previous position was the bed pan and walkers supervisor. Well this jacka$$ named AL CRISP totally screwed things up worse then they were. They transferd guys from Ohio to Fla to work. some were ok most not. We had good welders who would check tolerances during the whole procedure. There drones were assembly line idiots who never checked to see if anything was straight. These are $3000.00 custom racing or sport wheelchairs. Oh yeah if you a government/VA perscription or funding they would charge $8-12 thousand for the same product. Total BS. This is why the average joe cannot afford health insurance. It was all about the $$$$$$$$$ and not the product. Sadly this is how this country killed itself.:angry7: So some names to remember of people who will screw you.
A. Crisp
C. Peterson
Top End
Invacare
If you here these names or meet these people RUN the other way, they are the DEVIL.:snakeman:

I'd like to send them back, but like most, I'll hack and make them
work. I wonder since Pertronix bought Doug's if some quality or manufacturing
has changed?

There are many great manufacturing companies and workers here and in Canada
(thought I'd throw that in for you guys up nort) however most companies are
being driven my the almighty dollar which leads to cut corners and quality.

It's too bad products are all being designed as disposable now. Good think we
all have our old iron. I think there's a reason you don't see too many mid to late 80's cars on the road! Can you imagine a new car today lasting 40 years!

okay i work in tool and die and i have to say one thing about made in china parts. if we make a die and china makes the same die ours is made was higher quality cast materials. in china the standards for the percentages of certain materials in their cast steels are very low. one part in a die we make that may last 7 years at 100k parts a year while the same part made in china will only last 3 years at the same 100k parts per year. you get what you pay for.

Many years ago I did the tool and die apprenticeship and I went back to
school and am a design engineer now. I do agree with you on tooling in some
regards. There are some very good shops in China though. The initial post
was not meant as a broad brush stroke. I work with local shops on a daily
basis as well as shops overseas. If at all possible I will work with and feed
the local hard working shop, the ones that fall short loose the work.
Attention to detail goes a long way!

Tooling in the U.S. is on the rise again and I think it's due to the fact that
we are getting tired of junk and the few and proud are tuning things around.
It's a shame the cycles take so long to come full circle though.

i agree i would prefer made in the USA parts or products but they have to be quality to make up for the higher price of them. if i can get the same quality for 3/4 the price i will be all over that.

Wow I'm suprised no one has told you yet "that if your so in love with China made products why don't you move there":bootysha::-D

I know of another site that by now they would be screaming for your blood to be spilled in the street:toothy10:

My experience was working in the pharmaceutical industry at Pfizer...you know, the little blue pill..LOL. Well the company was The Upjohn Co. before it got bought out totally by Pharmacia and the lastly Pfizer. The slogan on signs everywhere in the plant when it was The Upjon Co., was "KEEP THE QUALITY UP". The very week after Pfizer bought us out, "ALL" the signs were removed from the walls and anything in the building that was a reminder of the "way we used to do it" was discarded. Well the next thing you know, we began to ship a lot of our products over to China to be manufactured over there because it was cheaper. Jobs here in the states were eliminated and benefits were slashed. So guess what?? China screwed up a number of "OUR" antibiotics to the point where the FDA in China, which by the way isn't anywhere close to the same standards that we have over here, had to shut down the production of those products. So now Pfizer is trying to get those products made back here in the Good Ole USA, which always made the drugs right and followed the guidelines set down by the USA FDA! The only sad thing is that the people who knew how to make the stuff over here have now lost their jobs and the ones left behind that don't know the process will have to be trained on a fast track so they can get the drugs to the customers as fast as possible. Corporate America needs to wake up and stop being so greedy about the bottom line and start investing back into America and stop giving the country away to China and the rest of the world who could care less about producing top quality products on a consistent basis.

My 2 cents worth!

Wow I'm suprised no one has told you yet "that if your so in love with China made products why don't you move there":bootysha::-D

I know of another site that by now they would be screaming for your blood to be spilled in the street:toothy10:

I was kind of thinking the same thing, hope you have your fire suit on because you're going to get roasted for this :-D

That said, my experience is pretty much everything is crap no matter where you get it from :angry7:

Next time you replace the rotors on your car get one side that was made in China and one side that was made in Canada and see what one craps out first! If it is load bearing, support piece or a ware part and made out of Chinese metal run the F away from it!

Oh yeah and "American" Racing wheels....yeah not so much anymore.

F--- China. U.S. Workers just do what they're told. I've experienced this.
When I was doing factory stuff, I regarded things the same as lawful/unlawful orders under the UCMJ. One instance in particular, the supervisor frantically asked what I was doing stopping production to adjust stops. I told him that the parts were out of spec and that we'd be good to go as soon as I was left to do what I needed to do. When he asked "How far out of spec are they?", I answered with something like "follow the bouncing ball, man. They're OUT. OF. SPEC." He started foaming at the mouth about "we need these parts now, blah, blah, blah". I then explained it in business terms that the parts would come back if someone measured them and they'd be needed even more urgently in addition to scrapping material. I told him that if he wanted to run junk, he'd have to sign off on it because my name wasn't going to be associated with it. He wasn't happy, but ultimately accepted that my stance was firm and let me do my job.

This crap happens all the time. It's the culture of "there's no time to do things right... we need only be concerned with production numbers". The worker has to give a crap beyond just making $30 /hr.

Ok so they say a bad apple spoils the barrell.the barrell of apples isn't gone rotten because of americans.it's gone rotten because of politics and crap like that and laziness in general.it the way the system has evolved and if you want something done right an american can and will do it,just too many me me types out there wanting a handout with no pride in what they do for a living,always complaining...and it makes it hard on the rest of us....don't even want to hear about china or the stupid a$$eS that have reduced our country to this.

Ok so they say a bad apple spoils the barrell.the barrell of apples isn't gone rotten because of americans.it's gone rotten because of politics and crap like that and laziness in general.it the way the system has evolved and if you want something done right an american can and will do it,just too many me me types out there wanting a handout with no pride in what they do for a living,always complaining...and it makes it hard on the rest of us....don't even want to hear about china or the stupid a$$eS that have reduced our country to this.

Thanks Waggin. You hit the nail on the head.
Most people now a days don't have any pride. I see it everyday. My dad always said "Do the job right and to the best of your abilities. Even if you are digging in a ditch."

When I was doing factory stuff, I regarded things the same as lawful/unlawful orders under the UCMJ. One instance in particular, the supervisor frantically asked what I was doing stopping production to adjust stops. I told him that the parts were out of spec and that we'd be good to go as soon as I was left to do what I needed to do. When he asked "How far out of spec are they?", I answered with something like "follow the bouncing ball, man. They're OUT. OF. SPEC." He started foaming at the mouth about "we need these parts now, blah, blah, blah". I then explained it in business terms that the parts would come back if someone measured them and they'd be needed even more urgently in addition to scrapping material. I told him that if he wanted to run junk, he'd have to sign off on it because my name wasn't going to be associated with it. He wasn't happy, but ultimately accepted that my stance was firm and let me do my job.

This crap happens all the time. It's the culture of "there's no time to do things right... we need only be concerned with production numbers". The worker has to give a crap beyond just making $30 /hr.

My point exactly. I'm not sticking up for the chinese crap either. It's the American workers who could care less and the greedy executives that have outsourced our jobs. And lets not forget the corrupt unions.:angry7:

I think the real problem is most companies give bonuses to managment if they meet their quotas. I am an industrial mechanic and work in the food industry. You know those little gold fish crackers. If I shut down a machine because I see a problem with quality I normally have 3 pissed off managers looking over my shoulder asking how long is this going to take to get running again. It drives me crazy. Most of our machines are running 120% of the engineered speed. Money, Money, Money.

This is my point exactly! Look guys, I was raised in a total UAW family. My father put in 35 years at the Belvidere assembly plant, and my brother still works there. I'm all about flag waving and USA. But morons that are controling
how things are made here have to be replaced with people who will stand
up for making quality items and know that people will pay a few bucks more
for something made right that will last. So, it's good that things have gone to
China in many ways because it is shaking up the bad things that have happened to quality in the US. I am seeing a lot of items coming back here
to be manufactured. It will only get better, but it takes a change of mindset
to get it to happen.

-
Back