''I'm going to fix it up someday'' The resurrection of a '74 Dart Sport......

-
Tom,I just joined FABO tonite cuz I now own a very clean 71 Scamp.I was going thru the threads and noticed yours and got curious.I've read it from beginning to end and thourghly enjoyed your build.It's great to see someone bring one back to drive and enjoy.Kudos to you Tom for what you have done.Can't wait to see you get her painted{BTW luv the white stripe}and on the road.

Thanks for the compliment, and welcome to the site.
Well, she is on the road and driving, but not again until spring!
There is lots more to come then.......:cheers:
Probably not a paint job though, but lots of interesting stuff anyway. I don't have deep pockets like a lot of people here do, but i have fun! :burnout:

It's been a while since I looked in and you have covered a lot of ground since then. Nice to see it as a runner again! That has to be fun!

Ideas for your heat problem.
Replace existing thermostat with 160F unit if cold weather operation isn't a big thing.

You could block off the heat crossover in the intake manifold. They sell intake gaskets with the tin plugs or a thin piece of sheet metal/shim stock will work too. Little longer warm up required and manual choke.

Insulate the fuel line with some foam wrap like they sell for water heater pipes. There are other things that work but being automotive products they cost more. The fuel pump, being aluminum, picks up a lot of heat from the block it's bolted to. Combined with the gas we have nowadays...

They also have isolator plates that are about 2 mm thick which could be added under the resin spacer you have now. Some folks even make their own spacers out of wood!

Make sure the water pump is an AC spec unit with 8 blades as opposed to non AC with 6. Flow Kooler pumps with the disc flow even more water.

Add a little Water Wetter/Purple Ice to the coolant. Eases surface tension of the water, lowers the temps 5 to 10 degrees and keeps steam pockets from forming as the coolant passes behind the combustion chambers in the head.

Make sure the fan clutch doesn't have a bad clutch in it.
Retarded timing can cause overheating especially in a heavy, highly geared car. Just thoughts that might help!
Looking forward to more progress!
Alan

Thanks, Keith.
About the paint, i agree with you that i would rather be driving it and looking so-so than it being in paint shop jail.
There's something to be said about driving a car that is just that.....a driver. I don't worry about it getting rained on, a rock chip, working on the car, etc.
I really think there's a lot of freedom gained not worrying about these things.
It's a lot more fun!

Ive got to agree with you here. I wish my car was still together when I picked it up so I could just fix things as I enjoyed it. Nothing is worse then having to tear a car completely apart and not being able to get it back together for 4 years,

It's been a while since I looked in and you have covered a lot of ground since then. Nice to see it as a runner again! That has to be fun!

Ideas for your heat problem.
Replace existing thermostat with 160F unit if cold weather operation isn't a big thing.

You could block off the heat crossover in the intake manifold. They sell intake gaskets with the tin plugs or a thin piece of sheet metal/shim stock will work too. Little longer warm up required and manual choke.

Insulate the fuel line with some foam wrap like they sell for water heater pipes. There are other things that work but being automotive products they cost more. The fuel pump, being aluminum, picks up a lot of heat from the block it's bolted to. Combined with the gas we have nowadays...

They also have isolator plates that are about 2 mm thick which could be added under the resin spacer you have now. Some folks even make their own spacers out of wood!

Make sure the water pump is an AC spec unit with 8 blades as opposed to non AC with 6. Flow Kooler pumps with the disc flow even more water.

Add a little Water Wetter/Purple Ice to the coolant. Eases surface tension of the water, lowers the temps 5 to 10 degrees and keeps steam pockets from forming as the coolant passes behind the combustion chambers in the head.

Make sure the fan clutch doesn't have a bad clutch in it.
Retarded timing can cause overheating especially in a heavy, highly geared car. Just thoughts that might help!
Looking forward to more progress!
Alan

Thanks for your advice, Alan.
Actually, i do not have an overheating problem with the car when driving or in traffic even when it's 100 degrees out.
It's a heat soaking problem where fuel ''boils'' out of the carb when i shut the engine off for more than a minute. The phenolic spacer all but cured this problem, but is still there to a minor degree.
So with your advice and as well some advice from others, here is my plans for this issue for this season.
(1) Install a 160 degree thermostat.
(2) Change the fan from a direct drive old school fan to a thermostatic clutch drive fan. (more for power than for cooling)
(3) Install an aluminum heat shield under the carb.
(4) Try a Thermoquad carb with the insulation already built in by design.
(5) Block off the heat crossover in the intake manifold.
Or a mixture of all of the above.......
I already have a heavy duty A/C water pump, the fuel line is routed well and is cool to the touch even after sitting, the timing is definitely not retarded, and the fuel pump is new and it doesn't get particularly hot.
I do not experience vapor lock at all, just heat soak.
Thanks again, :cheers:
Tom.

Ive got to agree with you here. I wish my car was still together when I picked it up so I could just fix things as I enjoyed it. Nothing is worse then having to tear a car completely apart and not being able to get it back together for 4 years,

Thanks Adam, but i would be a liar if i said i wouldn't want my car to be painted nice with new stripes etc. like yours......:D
Damn, that is a nice looking car you have there!
There will be lots more done on mine this year, but paint isn't one of them....

Thanks Adam, but i would be a liar if i said i wouldn't want my car to be painted nice with new stripes etc. like yours......:D
Damn, that is a nice looking car you have there!
There will be lots more done on mine this year, but paint isn't one of them....

Too bad you don't live closer I would love to roll your sport in my booth and give it some love 😉

Too bad you don't live closer I would love to roll your sport in my booth and give it some love 😉

I would love that too.
Why don't you move out here to Lethbridge? The population is about the same as maple Ridge and it's away from the hustle and bustle of the Greater Vancouver area.
Lots of Mopars here to tinker with as well......:cheers:

I have thought on many occasions about moving away from exactly what you said but I can't move away from my family....just gonna have to endure the yuppies 😉

A couple of things to try on your fuel boil issue.

The air cleaner you are using is a huge heat sink, try an open-style one for a week or so and see if it helps.

Thermoquad should help, if you have a good rebuildable one.
If not look at the phenolic body street demons, I put a 625 on my old truck and it took care of 95% of the heat issues I was having.

One last thing before you buy a clutch fan... do a little junkyard shopping and grab the electric fans off some of the new stuff. Some of these move enough CFM to power an ultralight aircraft! There is a post here today about using a Ford Contour fan set up, and I've read a Lincoln Mark 7 has a very good setup. The whole thread is good but here is the post about the fan. In a 74 Duster so it should work for yours too.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970313646&postcount=66

I have thought on many occasions about moving away from exactly what you said but I can't move away from my family....just gonna have to endure the yuppies 😉

Yeah, i know what it's like family and all. I moved away from my family in Cranbrook, B.C. to Lethbridge, Alberta 14 years ago for steady work as well as the area here actually has a car culture...... I still have my property there with my cars and parts, and i go to visit time to time...... but you know, i have never regretted it.
I have a much better life here. I just wish i had here what i have there as far as my shop, cars, and property go.

A couple of things to try on your fuel boil issue.

The air cleaner you are using is a huge heat sink, try an open-style one for a week or so and see if it helps.

Thermoquad should help, if you have a good rebuildable one.
If not look at the phenolic body street demons, I put a 625 on my old truck and it took care of 95% of the heat issues I was having.

I never thought of the air cleaner, thanks!
I also have several good rebuildable thermoquads, that's why i thought of going to one.
I'll look at those other carbs you mentioned as well, it's nice to have a few options open here......

One last thing before you buy a clutch fan... do a little junkyard shopping and grab the electric fans off some of the new stuff. Some of these move enough CFM to power an ultralight aircraft! There is a post here today about using a Ford Contour fan set up, and I've read a Lincoln Mark 7 has a very good setup. The whole thread is good but here is the post about the fan. In a 74 Duster so it should work for yours too.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970313646&postcount=66

This is great advice!
Thanks for the link........Hmmmm. now you got me thinking!

Yeah, i know what it's like family and all. I moved away from my family in Cranbrook, B.C. to Lethbridge, Alberta 14 years ago for steady work as well as the area here actually has a car culture...... I still have my property there with my cars and parts, and i go to visit time to time...... .

I guess they like when you need parts- you have to come to visit! LOL

I enjoyed your build. This is the way we did many cars when I was younger. I like the threads for the high dollar builds too but there's something about fixing or reclaiming parts rather than RR shiney new parts that gets my attention.
That paint could use a little buffing though LOL.

good luck /keep going just started my 71 swinger keeping /6 auto at 17 i dreamed of 440-6 pack's now at 60 i can't read exit sing's don't need speed just style. ........... DAN

I guess they like when you need parts- you have to come to visit! LOL

I enjoyed your build. This is the way we did many cars when I was younger. I like the threads for the high dollar builds too but there's something about fixing or reclaiming parts rather than RR shiney new parts that gets my attention.
That paint could use a little buffing though LOL.

Thanks for the compliments, i'm glad you've enjoyed it so far. There's lots more to come, so stay tuned!
The car really needs a full paint job, i will be getting to that sooner or later.
It now looks like an original paint car that is getting tired........
About 1/3 of the car is original paint anyway.
I've had high dollars invested in cars and to me it's just not worth it anymore to go that way. I wanted to build one with parts that i had already with some new parts added to the mix and just drive the sucker!
At least i don't have to worry about a rock chip or a wave or two in the panels. :cheers:

good luck /keep going just started my 71 swinger keeping /6 auto at 17 i dreamed of 440-6 pack's now at 60 i can't read exit sing's don't need speed just style. ........... DAN

Thanks, at 51 i know where you're coming from there......
I still would like to build a big block a-body before i die though! :D

I think you're "resto" is a more honset and practical one. Rather than be afraid to leave it parked in the mall lot while you grab groceries,or coffee,you can drive it like it was meant to be used. I think BJ hype has infected the mindset of many car lovers. But you end up with a car that is impractical.

I love seeing a good home paint job! This turns my crank far more than someone emptying thier bank account,and then boasting about it. It takes far more grit and sweat to do the work yourself,something that is being lost as high rollers take over what is a fun hobby for a diy'er.

I love being able to repair and restore stuff MYSELF. Some of my friends are amazed with what I can do,and it feels good to say "I did that" rather than "I paid for it".

My current project is welding back together the plastic bumper cover for my van. It's in 4 pieces right now. Bet you'll never know when Im done!

I think you're "resto" is a more honset and practical one. Rather than be afraid to leave it parked in the mall lot while you grab groceries,or coffee,you can drive it like it was meant to be used. I think BJ hype has infected the mindset of many car lovers. But you end up with a car that is impractical.

I love seeing a good home paint job! This turns my crank far more than someone emptying thier bank account,and then boasting about it. It takes far more grit and sweat to do the work yourself,something that is being lost as high rollers take over what is a fun hobby for a diy'er.

I love being able to repair and restore stuff MYSELF. Some of my friends are amazed with what I can do,and it feels good to say "I did that" rather than "I paid for it".

My current project is welding back together the plastic bumper cover for my van. It's in 4 pieces right now. Bet you'll never know when Im done!

Thanks for the compliment, you hit the nail on the head on the theme of this project.
As stated at the start of this thread, it is a ''resurrection'' not a ''restoration''.
There's a lot to be said about doing things yourself and the satisfaction of putting another one on the road that was doomed to be parted and crushed.
A lot of us aren't wealthy enough to just write checks and give the car to a restoration shop and say ''call me when it's done''.
I wouldn't want to do that anyway.
If the car has flaws, they're my flaws.
Drive 'em and have some fun!

it's finally time to replace those old sacked out slant 6 springs with some Super Stock springs that i picked up from Jeg's for $119.00 a side shipped to the Canada/U.S.A. border.
002s and 003s were the look i was after anyway......

Attachments

• 20140610_137.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 373
  • 20140610_152.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 20140610_147.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 327
  • 20140610_144.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 335
  • 20140610_142.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 350
  • 20140610_141.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 346
  • 20140610_140.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 358
  • 20140610_139.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 346
  • 20140610_138.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 20140610_136.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 370
More pics......

Attachments

• 20140610_146.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 358
  • 20140610_149.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 345
  • 20140610_148.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 20140610_150.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 348
  • 20140610_151.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 20140610_153.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 354
  • 20140610_154.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 369
  • 20140610_155.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 344
  • 20140610_174.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 358
  • 20140610_175.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 333
Now comes the installation, this was a breeze.
The only thing i had to alter was the front spring hanger bolts had to be changed to 5/8'' from 1/2''. i just bought some new bolts and nylocks and opened up the front spring hanger holes to 5/8''.
Contrary to what you might have heard, the rear shackle bushings for an a-body fit perfectly in the rear of the springs, and you don't need to change them to the bigger o.d. b-body ones.
I had both and used the new a-body ones i had.
I cleaned up and painted the spring hangers front and rear, put some anti seize on all of the metal contact surfaces, and torqued everything to spec.
No squeaks or rattles at all anymore.......

Attachments

• 20140610_24.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 20140610_17.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 20140610_15.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 339
  • 20140610_16.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 347
  • 20140610_19.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 20140610_5.jpg