''I'm going to fix it up someday'' The resurrection of a '74 Dart Sport......

-
Nice job so far! One question what do the numbers painted on the quarterpanels for [you got so many you gotta number them to keep track] LOL.

Great progress.Exhaust looks good. Motor and trans ready to go? I could be wrong, but I think that pulley goes on the front of the motor. Ha Ha.:coffee2:

The pulley was strategically placed there to balance the engine and trans combo when we set the body over the entire works. Without that, the engine might have tipped over, and i wasn't willing to chance it. :D
The car is running and moving under it's own power now.
I just need to change the gearing, the 2:71s aren't cutting it......:banghead:
More on that to come in the new year!

Nice job so far! One question what do the numbers painted on the quarterpanels for [you got so many you gotta number them to keep track] LOL.

Are you talking about the brown Dart Sport?
I picked up that car from a junkyard about 70 miles away that was crushing cars and the ones with the numbers on them were in the order to be crushed!
The car was stuffed full of junk just laying around already, it was to be crushed the next day.
The car is hit really hard on the front end but is a factory 360 auto sunroof fold down rear seat '74 Dart Sport. I still don't know what i'm doing with this one yet.
Maybe i should number them, that's a great idea! :cheers:

Attachments

• PB250174.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 959
  • PB250175.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 927
  • PB030026.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 942
  • PB030023.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 940
You have quite a collection!!

Yeah, you're right.
It's more of a sickness than a collection though. :D
Most of them were orphans that i saved from the crush yard......
I've been thinning them out slowly but surely.

I put it back on the hoist to tie up some loose ends, like hook up the emergency brakes.
Well, i started it up, moved it over and then the problems started!
First off, it wouldn't charge.
After testing the alternator and confirming it was good, the culprit was a bad voltage regulator. Easy fix.
Then the heater core started leaking all over the fresh carpet. When the heater box was out, it was all cleaned and the core was checked. Gotta tear it apart and see what went wrong.
Then the power steering box was leaking, had to determine what went wrong there.
The lower seal was leaking out of the sector shaft, so i removed the pitman arm and replaced it in the car.
Then the seal on the input shaft by the steering coupler leaked, so out comes the box and replaced that.
The steering box didn't leak at all before this, but all of the seals replaced were bad!

Attachments

• 20130106_10.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 924
  • 20130106_9.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 919
  • 20130106_6.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 930
  • 20130106_7.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 921
The final culprit......
A couple of bad ''O'' rings in the housing where the return line goes.
Problem solved.

Attachments

• 20130106_19.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 890
The lesson learned here is to reseal the steering box before you install it!
The parts cost about 30 bucks and it's cheap insurance on an untried steering box.
Live and learn.

those mirrors looks really nice!

Are you talking about the brown Dart Sport?
I picked up that car from a junkyard about 70 miles away that was crushing cars and the ones with the numbers on them were in the order to be crushed!
The car was stuffed full of junk just laying around already, it was to be crushed the next day.
The car is hit really hard on the front end but is a factory 360 auto sunroof fold down rear seat '74 Dart Sport. I still don't know what i'm doing with this one yet.
Maybe i should number them, that's a great idea! :cheers:

Nah I would take them off. Then I would probably spray them Orange or Torred something like that. They should sell that way. Heck I might even know a buyer for ya! :D:cheers:

Nah I would take them off. Then I would probably spray them Orange or Torred something like that. They should sell that way. Heck I might even know a buyer for ya! :D:cheers:

Who do you know around here that would have wanted them? :eek:ops:
Nobody likes them, in fact, all of the Mopar guys are putting Chevelle mirrors on their cars because they look way better.
I only put the painted mirrors on my Dart Sport because that's all i had and can't afford Chevelle ones.
I just gave them to Rob to put on his '37 Plymouth because he wanted them and can't afford Chevelle mirrors either. They're better than nothing i guess. :poke:

Were those mirrors Mopar productions or were they after market from the 70's? Either way, I like the look. Have to see if I can find a set.:coffee2:

Thanks for asking, Thunder.
They are original Mopar ones.
The chrome ones are very noticeable and the painted ones are more subtle.
I prefer the painted ones, and you can get them from P&G Classics, but they're not cheap. I hear the chrome ones have issues with the chrome quality and pitting easily on the reproductions.
The originals are known for the top part being floppy and all there is holding them on is a relatively small screw that you tighten and it removes the slop.
The quality of the chrome on the originals seems to be quite good.

Well i pulled out the heater box and took out the heater core to find out what went wrong........
It turns out the heater core itself was leaking out of the right side. Off to the parts store to check out a replacement i go.

Attachments

• 20130106_23.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 817
  • 20130106_25.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 810
  • 20130106_27.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 773
  • 20130106_26.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 804
Thanks for that info. Gonna have to track down a set of those. Just flow better than those little round ones.:coffee2:

And i ended up buying this one, it looked good to me.
At first glance it looked like a direct bolt in!

Attachments

• 20130106_29.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 784
  • 20130106_30.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 780
  • 20130106_33.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 786
Thanks for that info. Gonna have to track down a set of those. Just flow better than those little round ones.:coffee2:

Glad i could help.
Which ones do you like better? The chrome ones or body color? :coffee2:

Well, the fit wasn't the same as factory, the bends on the tubes are slightly different, so i got out the file and die grinder to do some clearancing......
Then i had to make a new cover plate for where the tubes exit the heater box. I also had to die grind down the flat area where the big tube sits on the housing about 3/16''.
I installed the assembly back in the car and it all fit good through the firewall etc. so i hooked everything up and poured the anti freeze back in and fired it up to check for leaks.
All is good now! :cheers:
There's nothing like taking 6 hours to do a 3 hour job! :glasses7:
That's how it is when you get older i guess. :D

Attachments

• 20130106_51.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 783
  • 20130106_46.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 792
  • 20130106_43.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 783
  • 20130106_42.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 788
  • 20130106_39.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 790
  • 20130106_40.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 787
  • 20130106_37.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 792
  • 20130106_38.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 780
  • 20130106_34.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 809
  • 20130106_48.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 792
I like the painted ones better. Gotta keep the flow right.

Good job on the heater core. Looks good. That is one place I won't have to worry about leaks.:coffee2:

Bout time you got back at it! :poke: It's too bad it leaked, but man I am picking up a lot from your build. It seems no matter how good something "looks" you just can't tell until you put it into service.
I'll be back in couple days and I believe I have a couple or a few cold ones left over from Christmas. We will have to get rid of those, they are getting old! :D

Bout time you got back at it! :poke: It's too bad it leaked, but man I am picking up a lot from your build. It seems no matter how good something "looks" you just can't tell until you put it into service.
I'll be back in couple days and I believe I have a couple or a few cold ones left over from Christmas. We will have to get rid of those, they are getting old! :D

Hey George, i can help you with that. There's nothing worse than beer left in the fridge getting lonely, sitting there all by themselves. The poor things.
You've helped me a lot with the car, and i appreciate it. The least i can do is help you empty your fridge. :D
I'm now an expert on re&reing heater boxes, and would help you if you need it.
Actually, i'm not that slow on working, i'm slow on posting! :glasses7:

-
Back