I'm now a guy with a compressor

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
WooHoo! Ok, so now I'm a guy with a compressor! Again, thanks to
PA Dodger aka Dan, and his brother Chris who picked up and unloaded this beast.
It's a Campbell Hausfeld 60 gallon 3.2 hp. I picked it up at tractor supply for $429.99. I added a 60amp sub-panel to my detached garage and ran a 220 line in the garage for the compressor. Whew!
Ok guys, please give me some much needed info on compressor ownership.
Should I keep it empty? under pressure?
I did the break-in procedure - letting it run for 30 minutes. Changed the oil before I even ran it, then again after break-in. Running Mobil 10W-30 synthetic. I did the fastest wheel change on my daily driver - installed the snow tires on rims.
Thanks guys!

I would leave it under pressure, my old compresser, my ex wife bought me is still going, 5hp 30 gallon. This was gave to me on christmas in 1991.

Plumb the garage with hard lines and water release outlets to every corner.
Best investment you ever made.

P.S.
Build a building outside the garage to mount the compressor in, the noise will be too much inside the garage.
A simple quick-creet floor, block building, wood, tin roof with vents goes along way.

P.S.
Build a building outside the garage to mount the compressor in, the noise will be too much inside the garage.
A simple quick-creet floor, block building, wood, tin roof with vents goes along way.

I second this!

Are you supposed to use 10w30 in a compressor? check with the manufacturer/ owners manual. I thought they usually run straight 30 weight. I might be wrong.

Get a good water separator/ trap. Drain your tank and separator often.

congrates on the compressor and keep it under pressure

All of the above and get yourself 1/4" & 3/8" air ratchets, a 1/2" impact, some good sockets and a blower nozzle and prepare to take things apart and put them back together waaaayyyy faster!!! A small sandblasting cabinet is nice too!! :D Congratulations. :thumrigh::thumleft:

I don't think multi-weight oil is typically used in compressors. Check your owner's manual.

i keep mine under pressure all the time, i just turn it off when I leave the garage and shut the main valve so it doesn't drain off. Holds pressure for weeks, every so often drain it to get the water out of the bottom and your all set.

I would consider a drain valve extension on the bottom. I did that and I'm glad I did, i do not have to roll around on the floor to drain it just kneel beside if and hit the valve

I always use straight 30wt. My compressor is a 20 year old blackmax still going strong.

Keep the water drained out of it. Whenever mine runs the last thing I do before turning the lights off is open the drain valve for a few seconds. When the spitting sound stops shut the valve.

Congrats! I also run mobil 10w-30 synthetic in mine. Mine is a Husky(same as CH) 5 hp 60 gallon and the manual recommends a few types of oil and one of them is Mobil 10w-30 synthetic. Have fun!

I always use straight 30wt. My compressor is a 20 year old blackmax still going strong.
X2 on the 30wt. I have an old curtis that was biult in 1940 with a manual clutch.still going could probly use a rebuild but it still works...Artie:cheers:

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Yeah, the owner's manual said you can use 10w-30 or even 5w-30 but it has to be fully synthetic. Of course they say to use compressor oil, but a 10 oz bottle is the same price as Mobil1 32oz of synthetic.
Ok, so I need to keep it under pressure. But release pressure on the regulator?
So what pressure should I run on? I adjusted the regulator to 90psi.

There should be a pressure switch that turns the motor on and off. This controls the range of pressure in the tank. This is probably set at the factory and you shouldn't mess with it unless you really need to.

Then there is the regulator which decreases the pressure in the hose for things like paint spraying. Where you set the regulator depends on what you're doing.

When I built my compressor I plumbed two separate outlets. One goes through the regulator and a dryer. The other one comes straight off the tank.

Most of the time I use the one that comes straight off the tank for things like sand blasting and running air tools. My compressor cycles between 90 and 110 psi which is fine for the air tools.

When I'm spray painting I move the hose to the other outlet and set the regulator at 45-50 psi.

Harry, Did you get it bolted down? I cant say what quality it is but I see Harbor Freight has an automatic drain. Get yourself some impact sockets if you dont have them. Regular sockets can/will crack on an impact gun.

Yes, I drilled the concrete floor and used anchor bolts to bolt it down. I picked up impact sockets, I'll have to check HF for that automatic drain.
I was going to plumb a better tank drain with an elbow, straight pipe, and ball valve to make it easier.

I put an elbow with a 90 as well to make draining easier. I also just cut the pallet it was bolted to and it sits on the wood with pieces of rubber underneath. I figured this would reduce vibration and allow me to move it if needed. It has not moved on its own yet as the rubber prevents sliding.

Congrats and a Big thumbs up for friends who help put without asking

Thanks. I am hoping my wife helps me with getting that same model this Christmas before that deal is up in January. Keep us informed of how it works for you.

They say to use compressor oil, but you are smarter than the people that designed it?

Whoa, what's YOUR deal? The owner's manual clearly says:

"USE SAE30 INDUSTRIAL GRADE AIR COMPRESSOR OIL OR FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL LIKE MOBIL 1 10W30. DO NOT USE REGULAR AUTOMOTIVE OIL."
I'm using Mobil 1 10w30.

Look it up.

One thing someone told me about synthetic oil. He told me that he had an a 10 year old generator...cheepie kind. He was thinking of doing preventive maintenance, so he pulled it apart to inspect and it was like brand new....Probably cuz of the synthetic. Synthetic is pricy up here, but how often do you change oil in mowers, compressors, generators?? Not very often, so in the long run its worth it! IMO

When you mount the compressor to the floor make sure to use the rubber insulating blocks under the feet. It will quiet things down a lot & externd the life of the compressor. It's also mandatory for code in some areas.
It really doesn't matter if you leave it pressurized or not. No harm either way. If you let it bleed off you will just have to wait until it repressurizes next time you use it. Keep it drained of water periodically & that's about it. Go have fun!

-
Back