im rebuilding my 904

-

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
it ideas on kits to use i was thinking about using tci pro overhaul kit. is there a cheaper one or a good kit to use.

dacco make's them also there out of menphis tenn but have warehouses all over ... i just tryed one of there converters 32 to 3500 stalls works excellent around 300$ plus tax there kits ive used for a long time around 100$ frt band 14$ rear one 19$

Unless you plan to use it as a race trans behind a really stout engine, a basic OEM type rebuild kit from your local TranStar http://www.transtar1.com/locations.asp should be fine. As for a shift kit, the Transgo TF-2 is as good as any, and better than most.

Do you think TCI actually makes that "pro" kit?

I was told that you can rebuild a 904 with basic hand tools except for one special tool, is that correct and what is the tool?

tools needed...couple of different sizes of snap ring pliers...

a tool to compress the front clutch spring to R&R lip seals...can be home made...

bushing drivers to R&R 3 bushing ...front drum...pump...tail shaft..

take front drum, tail shaft, and pump to trans shop...have them R&R the bushing...

kits...transtar deluxe is a good kit 12008C

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=1943

How hard do you really want the shift to be? The TF-2 has a firm "fast" shift, but not super hard. If you goal is a transmission that goes "wham" in every gear and breaks u-joints, try a B&M.

I'm contemplating rebuilding my 904 from my '66 as well. I've never rebuilt a trans before but have done about everything else on a car. The trans "slips" significantly now and seems to function best in low or reverse (gearing helps obviously).

Any suggestion on a good step by step source (or thread) somewhere?

Thanks

That TMTF ATSG book and the Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook by Carl H. Muroe. ( The 904 rebuilds almost exactly like the 727) with your normal hand tools plus a little creativity for a couple more specialized applications and you're set. Ge the kit from www.Bulkpart.com and a TF-2 shift kit and you will be very pleased.

Install the 1980 6 cylinder low gear set and build it using the Direct Connection book. It will be tough and dependable. Mama Mopar knows best

Thanks for the replies. I know I'll end up rebuilding the whole unit, just got to find the time. Is the slipping more a result of the clutches or line pressure? It seems to shift ok.

You didn't say how you will primarily be using the car. I set the Demon up as a street car and put in what TransGo called its RV shift kit back when I rebuild the 904. It speeds up shifts without objectionable hardness. It looks like this is called the TF1 re-programming kit. For my intended use of the car, it works very well IMO.

You didn't say how you will primarily be using the car. I set the Demon up as a street car and put in what TransGo called its RV shift kit back when I rebuild the 904. It speeds up shifts without objectionable hardness. It looks like this is called the TF1 re-programming kit. For my intended use of the car, it works very well IMO.

This is for the /6 wagon, would be just poking around town, car shows, etc, no hot rodding...the 68 is for that. 8)

-
Back