Important Restoration Dilemma Please Help

-

DartThis74

Reaction score
Hey everyone! To start off for those of you that don't know me. I recently turned 22, I own two great A-bodies. The yellow '74 Dart Sport and the '74 Gold Duster both seen below. Attached are photos of different perspectives of the each car with their pro/con. I would really love for everyone on here to possibly give me their opinions on what would be the best route to go on, sorry for such a long post as well.

The Dilemma:
So as I was driving back home this weekend I got to thinking about what I'm going to do with the Duster. I haven't touched it in almost a year because of lack of funds and available time because of college that I attend an hour and a half away from my hometown. I started to conjure up pro and con of each car to see if I should swap everything from the duster project into the Dart or continue with the Duster project, which would be faster, cheaper,etc... This is where you come in to give your opinion on what would be a good option to select.

My Opinion:
In the pictures you can see different views of the Dart and Duster, the good and bad of each. What I thought while on my way home was that instead of finishing the Duster project, if I swap everything from that over to the Dart I will still have the result I wanted with the Duster which was the 360 with bucket seats floor shifter and painted sassy grass green. I believe a swap over would be cheaper and faster route also.

Exterior:
The Dart's paint is peeling very badly and all over the car (after 5 years...),but is straight as an arrow with no dents or dings. The Duster on the other hand needs bodywork and a new paint job. So I thought I will have to paint either car anyway. I want to go the route of Sassy Grass green. The Dart has the hood scoop I want for the Duster, The front windshield is perfect, as for the Duster has a scuff mark across it from something rough caught in the wiper blade at some point. The Dart has brand new wheels and tires, but if swap the 8 3/4 over to the dart from the duster then new wheels with different backspacing will be needed for the rear. The Duster on the other hand will need complete new wheel and tire combo all around.

Interior:
The Duster has newly upholstered bucket seats with refurbished floor console shifter. I need new front and back panels. The Dart has complete interior BUT is accented with yellow, so I will need to swap everything from Duster over to fix that, along with new front and back panels as well.

Engine bay and drive train:
The engine bays for both cars need to be repainted. Brake fluid destroyed the paint on firewall of Dart last year. Everything is complete under hood with Dart, Duster is still missing things. Crappy running slant is in Dart, newly rebuilt, never been ran 360 in Duster so I can swap that over. The Duster has a newly rebuilt 8 3/4 rear end with a 727. Dart has a 7 1/4 rear end with 904.

Other than what I mentioned and from what you can see in the pictures. Do y'all agree that it would be a better idea to swap everything from the Duster project over into the Dart. I think it will be faster and cheaper, rather than completely fixing the Duster. I can resell the Duster with all of the Dart components since it was originally a slant six, to make money to help pay for paint job etc... Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• SL371912.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 361
  • SL371918.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 345
  • SL371917.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 338
  • SL371916.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 369
  • SL371915.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 342
  • SL371923.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 359
  • SL371922.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 363
  • SL371919.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 345
  • SL371914.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 337
  • SL371913.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 346
Here are the rest of the pictures.

Attachments

• SL371928.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 342
  • SL371927.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 353
  • SL371926.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 334
  • SL371925.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 370
  • SL371924.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 340
  • SL371921.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 359
  • SL371920.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 352
Yo Dude, I am also 22, just graduated college, so I know all about the lack of funds... Well, I would probably swap over to the dart, it would be a lot cheaper, but do what you think you will be happier with!

The Dart is a nicer looking car, but more important, choose the one with the best frame and undercarriage.

Take the best basic car and using the 8.75" rear, install the /6 225 and a "built" 904, and turbocharge the /6 for about 25 pounds of boost. It will outrun any "built" 360 that has any streetability left, and raise more eyebrows.

Try it; you'll like it!!! :)

Bill

Attachments

• slantsixfred6.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 270
well the duster needs rust repair. that adds time and money to the paint job. looks like its just the clear peeling on the dart. if the dart body is as clean and rust free as it looks i say build the dart.

I'm really thinking about building up the Dart. Yes all that is peeling is the clear coat. and you can't find a single dent or ding on it. As for the Duster entire car needs body work, as well as paint. So since I'd have to repaint either car. I figured I would just change the color of the Dart to Go Green (I believe is the Plymouth equivalent to Sassy Grass? ) Since I would be changing the color I would have to get rid of the yellow accented interior. Maybe I'll have luck selling it too.

As for the engine, don't think I'll have money to make a /6 a turbo haha. I already have to much in the 360 and hasn't even been ran yet :(

I vote to do the Dart Sport.
The change over is just nuts and bolts and time.
Rust repair is expensive, even though the Duster doesn't look too bad at all.
Just be sure that there's nothing hidden under the paint of the Dart Sport.
It might be in the same shape as the Duster after you strip the paint off, then you're back to square one!
Good luck and keep us posted.

The Dart Sport,maybe you can dye the yellow to green?Does the Dart Sport have the 8 1/4 rear?If not you can get LBP axels for the 8 3/4 from Moser,then you can keep your rims&rubber.Just a thought.

the only rust that I can see that is forming is right at the cat whiskers at the top of the doors and a little in the typical spot at the bottom drain below the quarter window, the body work and paint job on the Dart was done probably 5 years ago.... It's just the clear coat that is coming off. No the dart has the regular LBP 7 1/4" under it. the 8 3/4" under the duster is LBP as well. I believe it came from a 68 or 69 Charger. I will have to buy a new set of wheels with different back spacing for the back since it makes the wheels stick out further than the 7 1/4". I'll get the same size so I can keep the same tire for it.

I wouldn't worry about the dart rear end right now.. I'd get the engine and tranny swapped, tape off the yellow stripes on the interior and swing by napa and get a can of SEM dye for what ever color you want to change them too and try to hold on to both cars just incase your money situation changes...

If you are interested in selling the buckets from the Duster, I would buy them from you if the price is right.

sorry the bucket seats are going to be installed in the Dart along with the center console.

-
Back