Incorrect dash vin tag

-
FWIW, NYS will issue a new VIN with a tag that is riveted in the door jamb. I've seen several cars like this, including a friend's GTX that was stolen and recovered minus the VIN plate.

I'm not sure of the procedure other than I know the car will have to be inspected at one of their places and, of course, nothing can come back stolen or part of a insurance fraud. You'll need to have al your ducks in a row if you go this route.

My recommendation is to contact a lawyer ASAP and act on his her advice.

There was an article recently about a guy who had a 50 something Corvette (IIRC)

For some reason it was conficated, and allowed to sit outside to rott for years while the courts worked through the issues.

Ultimately the owner got his car back but it was basically trash at that point.

I had a Dart that the VIN did not match the core support or fender tag but the VIN matched the title. Got the out of state inspection and Ohio said "no problem". When I sold it, it went to Iowa. I always thought someone changed the dash. I bought it out of KY. I agree, you VIN tag is completely wrong.

Last edited:
The dash has been changed, end of story. The REASON that it got changed, is that the "rest of the car" had no legit title, could have been stolen, lost, and no one was willing to do the right thing. If you screw with this, you could end up with NO car, or a parts car that can not be titled.

First thing is to contact the seller, and make it ******* CLEAR that he needs to step up

If you can't fix it I mean ABSOLUTELY can't, you might be better off to "leave it be."

I’m fairly positive the gentleman I got the car from was unaware of this issue. As the car was not on the road or registered in his name

Oh boy! This is like stirring a bucket of crap! The more you stir the worse it stinks!!

Unless you have a motor vehicle registration from the previous legal owner, listing the correct vin for that particular car, the vehicle is not yours. As you said, the previous owner never registered the car so if he doesn't have a bill of sale from the person he bought it from, it wasn't his either. Before you do anything, establish if the guy you bought the car from actually owned it. If he didn't register it, he should still have a bill of sale or a document signing over ownership. You need to establish who sold the car to the guy you bought it from. Then, that person may be able to solve the vin issue.

By the way, if you traded one car for another, its still a legal transaction and, still needs a bill of sale to transfer ownership.

Also, if the last state where the vehicle was sold assigned a new vin number, the registration should state that clearly.

I 'm going with Alaskan_TA on this one.. this whole scenario looks and feels totally fu#ked up and is going to result in a whole lot of anguish the minute you try to register that car. At first glance it looks totally illegal!!

Every government issued tag I've ever seen looks nothing like an OEM tag, NOTHING LIKE IT. I smell something really rotten here, I would get whatever you traded back and void this deal ASAP! The old saying "possession is 9/10s of the law" doesn't mean ignorance is an excuse.

Just my .02

The car is legal fellas, for now...
As said, all it`s going to take is
One savvy car guy trooper or deputy.
One savvy insurance adjuster if in an accident, and he`s screwed.

The broadcast sheet matches the radiator support
The broadcast sheet should have the full vin on it.

There are online websites that for a fee can search vins for things like theft etc.

I do not know if this site can search old vin's or not.
Final Step | Bumper.com
Just a thought to see if the buildsheet vin for the car is an issue.

Resized_3620_DisGonBGug_zps69a86f9c.gif

Last edited:
Yes the VIN tag looks way off from original, but matches the ownership. Is there any chance that the car was simply re-vinned through proper govt channels similar to the way that a car bought from a scrap yard, abandoned, dead original owner...The list goes on? My guess that if it was a swapped dash, it would have some sort of OEM vin tag and proper rivets from the doner car. Thinking out loud......OP definitely has to run, or start jumping through hoops. But I certainly wouldn't try to slide this by anyone.

Yes the VIN tag looks way off from original, but matches the ownership. Is there any chance that the car was simply re-vinned through proper govt channels similar to the way that a car bought from a scrap yard, abandoned, dead original owner...The list goes on? My guess that if it was a swapped dash, it would have some sort of OEM vin tag and proper rivets from the doner car. Thinking out loud......OP definitely has to run, or start jumping through hoops. But I certainly wouldn't try to slide this by anyone.
If this was a state re vin, it would state that on the new title.

No that is not what happened. What happened is, no one had a legit title for the original car. They either swapped the dash frame, or they swapped the VIN tag with a car that HAD a title. What he has is a title for a dash VIN tag and nothing else, fully, legally, speaking. Wherever the rest of that car is, "he owns it"

Could be that someone had a rusted car and found a clean roller then swapped everything over . Most people dont know the body is stamped .
The weird dash plate dosnt make sense though

LOTS of questions. Where did you get the broadcast sheet from? What did the seller/trader say about the missing fender tag? Did he explain anything about the clearly NON OEM made-up VIN dash plate?

Last edited:
The broadcast sheet came out of the car it matches the radiator support and all other tags. It doesn’t match the vin tag. Again this car is already registered and insured in my name here in NYS.
There was a bill of sale and a title from WV when I registered the car.

No that is not what happened. What happened is, no one had a legit title for the original car. They either swapped the dash frame, or they swapped the VIN tag with a car that HAD a title. What he has is a title for a dash VIN tag and nothing else, fully, legally, speaking. Wherever the rest of that car is, "he owns it"

Hey 67Dart273,

I would tend to agree with you except for one glaring issue... The VIN tag is fake!

Check the image below. The letters and numbers in the vin are raised.

In the one the op posted the numbers and letters are depressed.

Not a factory vin tag. So where did it come from? If government issued , it would say so on the new registration paperwork.

What he has is a car with a fake tag using vin information from another car that was wrecked/crushed or possibly stolen.

c0a41ba8-d6bd-4b35-a5b2-5e6162c91a34-jpeg.jpg

;topic=6417.png

FWIW, NYS will issue a new VIN with a tag that is riveted in the door jamb. I've seen several cars like this, including a friend's GTX that was stolen and recovered minus the VIN plate.

I'm not sure of the procedure other than I know the car will have to be inspected at one of their places and, of course, nothing can come back stolen or part of a insurance fraud. You'll need to have al your ducks in a row if you go this route.
That was Tim’s car but he was lucky because he had the police records to confirm the VIN so he was able to get a legit VIN plate made for the car. I actually ran across his car for sale in Charlotte a few years ago. He would have never pursued getting the new correct VIN tag had I not challenged him to prove it was really a GTX.

Last edited:
That was Tim’s car but he was lucky because he had the police records to confirm the VIN so he was able to get a legit VIN plate made for the car. I actually ran across his car for sale in Charlotte a few years ago. He would have never pursued getting the new correct VIN tag had I not challenged him to prove it was really a GTX.
Hey Joe, yea, it was for sale in Rochester after he died. The seller bought it to flip and was saying "one owner" car, which it wasn't. Still a nice car.

-
Back