Incorrect dash vin tag

-
So is there a place that will issue a replacement VIN tag.

Yes. Any Motor vehicle registration division in any State. All you have to do is provide the information to them showing documentation of the original VIN # for that car and plate # , a bill of sale stating the vehicle was actually sold to you by the previous owner and a current motor vehicle registration with the proper vin and plate.
Just a "heads up" . If you go in with the VIN # you have attached to the dash right now and you can't prove its the original vin for the car, they will assume there's something amiss and probably take the car until you can prove its yours. You are setting yourself up for a whole lot of anguish if you can't legally prove you own the car.

Once you have all the legal requirements met, contact the Company below. They can make the proper VIN replacement tag for you. Be advised. They are very strict on the requirements to do this for you and they will contact the proper authorities to make sure everything is above board.

Replacement VIN Tags - Vehicle Identification Numbers Tag | Aluma Photo

I highly doubt the police did a thorough VIN check, if they did they would have seen that the numbers didn't match, lazy on their part. They should have also noticed the tag was not original.

Somewhere along the way the dash pad or the VIN tag was replaced, followed by the lazy VIN check.

Alan

I highly doubt the police did a thorough VIN check, if they did they would have seen that the numbers didn't match, lazy on their part. They should have also noticed the tag was not original.

Somewhere along the way the dash pad or the VIN tag was replaced, followed by the lazy VIN check.

Alan
Unlike other states New York does not due a visual check of the Vin.

We've tried to warn you. I'd be VERY cautious about contacting authorities until you explore other avenues. You may end up with no car or a parts car.

Jump the *** of the seller BAD, and demand he step up. Get him to backtrack where it came from and how. And keep in mind that HE may be THE PROBLEM

We've tried to warn you. I'd be VERY cautious about contacting authorities until you explore other avenues. You may end up with no car or a parts car.

Jump the *** of the seller BAD, and demand he step up. Get him to backtrack where it came from and how. And keep in mind that HE may be THE PROBLEM

Couldn't agree more!

This situation just reeks of skulduggery!!

Don't know if this has been discussed or not.

You have a car with a partial VIN stamped into the rad support, the engine the trans the (I presume) trunk lid opening lip.

You have a build sheet for the car.

As I understand it. the vin on the build sheet, rad support, engine, trans, and trunk opening lip all match.

What you don't have,
You don't have a VIN tag on the dash that matches the CAR's Vin
You don't have a bill of sale with the CAR's VIN

(You might have a bill of sale for the VIN tag on the dash, and a title for the VIN tag on the dash, BUT not for the car.)

If the seller is willing to send you a bill of sale for the CAR's VIN you might be able to title the CAR and the CAR's vin and have the DMV in NY assign you a new dash VIN tag.

It also might come out that the car was reported stolen and then the trouble starts. BUT you would have a bill of sale for the CAR with the CAR's VIN and the seller SHOULD be the one to go to jail, you would loose your value, and MIGHT be accused of receiving stolen property and transporting it over state lines.

Good luck.

By the way, how much value did you swap for this car. 1000.00 5,000.00, 10,000.00 ?

Your state DMV.

Anything else is a counterfeit just like on the car now.

Have you contacted your state police to notify them of the crime yet?

If he does not report the crime, he could lose it anyway.

It is BEST for him to report it and let the authorities do their job.

If he reports the crime, they are there for him as the victim.

If he circumvents the law he becomes another criminal looking for a 'back door' solution.

The OP says the seller didn't own it. (Not registered to him/her
But that is true for the DASH VIN but what about the CAR?

separate the two out.

The dash with VIN attached can be looked at as a car all on its own ( granted missing a lot of parts). The rest of the car is missing the dash with the OEM VIN tag.

It is essentially 2 different cars

Last edited:
So, I just tried to bring up the pic of the sequence number printed on the rear trunk rail and the rad support for the op's car and now it wont open.

What's up?

Anyone else having this trouble?

So, I just tried to bring up the pic of the sequence number printed on the rear trunk rail and the rad support for the op's car and now it wont open.

What's up?

Anyone else having this trouble?

OP or moderator must have deleted the images.

Post 48? has the image of the dash tag VIN.

I saved enough to report the counterfeit VIN crime to my contact person in NY state, but it would be best for him if he reports it on his own.

I agree with this to an extent. I DO think the OP should contact the seller and demand a refund, re-trade, or whatever would make him whole again. Tell the seller that the numbers are not matching and that it is shady and possibly illegal and that you want nothing to do with it. If the seller balks, tell him you are contacting the authorities and that he is the first person they will talk to. If he does the refund, great. If not, then the Op has a choice. Report or not report. If he reports the issue, he may well end up with NO ca, and the seller could claim ignorance and be off Scott free. As the current owner, the Op would be the only loser. I am a BIG supporter of Police and law enforcement, but I don't know if I agree with @Alaskan_TA 's comment that they will be with him as the victim. Once the car is confiscated, the Op's chance of getting it or his money back are slim, and I doubt if most department's budgets are big enough to spend a LOT of time with a case like this. It is up to the Op. If he has a legal title to the car, he could keep it and drive it or part it out. If he chose to drive it, it is very unlikely that the errors would ever be found out. When the police stop you, they ask for license, registration and proof of insurance. If those are in order, you are good to go. But if I were the Op, I would NOT try to sell it to wash my hands of it, since he does suspect something. AND, of course, he could report it.

possibly illegal

We skipped past that. It is illegal;

To RE-VIN a car.

To create a counterfeit VIN tag.

Both are felonies.

The current owner has everything to gain in this situation by making law enforcement aware of the situation so THEY can work out where the blame lies.

CALL THE COPS CALL THE COPS CALL THE COPS LMAO, relax....chk to see if it's a state issued tag one way or another. If it's not, go to seller and deal with him directly and go from there.
Jeez some people....

CALL THE COPS CALL THE COPS CALL THE COPS LMAO, relax....chk to see if it's a state issued tag one way or another. If it's not, go to seller and deal with him directly and go from there.
Jeez some people....

THAT is NOT a state issued tag.

-
Back