Increased Humming sound.

-

War1

Reaction score
Hello FABO's crew,

I'm currently expriencing a loud humming sound located the front tire as I reached speeds over 50mph. Recently, my mechanic and I adjusted the brakes around the car on my 65 Vali Vert. I suspect that it might be the wheel bearings gone bad? The tires are virtually new with less than 300 miles on them give or take. Anyone have any ideas?

-War1

If someone removed the front hub, such as to inspect the brakes, they may have over-tightened the bearings. Check that since the bearing may fail soon and take out the hub. It is fairly easy to inspect the bearings. If no surface pits and not installed too loose or too tight, unlikely they are making the noise. Sounds more like tire noise to me.

UPDATE: I went to my "tire" guys and had them take a closer look. After a ride and inspection, they diagnosed that it the cause isn't the bearings but the result from possibly having to adjust/tighten front brakes. They added that the vibration is from the rotors rubbing and should adjust as I keep driving. I'll continue to drive it and see if its the case. Until then...thanx folks!

Look, it's easy and quick to check if it's bearing related. Pop off the bearing cap, remove the cotter pin, back the adjuster nut off 1/4 turn and reinstall everything. Now check and see of the sounds changes. Ain't going to hurt nothing and your shop is less than professional for not at least recommending this test, unless of course they were the ones that redid the bearings.

UPDATE: I went to my "tire" guys and had them take a closer look. After a ride and inspection, they diagnosed that it the cause isn't the bearings but the result from possibly having to adjust/tighten front brakes. They added that the vibration is from the rotors rubbing and should adjust as I keep driving. I'll continue to drive it and see if its the case. Until then...thanx folks!

Wow, I'd sure be looking for someone else to work on my ride. The brakes shouldn't be doing that, period. If something is rubbing that hard to cause a hum, then something is getting hot too.

Either way it ain't right.

you better check it before you end up welding a bearing race to the spindle

ask me how i know...........

Anyone that said my rotors were rubbing on a early a-body, at a brake shop i would turn around a walk away from.

Rotors on a 65...possible. Rotors rubbing and causing noise, HA! All rotors rub by design. glad it wasnt something worse. Buddy had a 67 mustang and the car was getting squirly on the road. We pull over and the front tire was literally at a 45 degree angle. The spindle got so hot from a bad bearing that it weakened and bent. It was crazy!

-
Back