Inner panel how to deal with this rust?

-

swest

Reaction score
I am curently taking care of the lower bottom corners of the rear windshield, no biggy just some time weld and patience. BUT the front corner got me off a bit since i havent done this before.

I can replace, the window channel no problem, but here is the question for the experts? How do i deal with the rust inside the a pillar.

I cut it open to replace the lower window channel and saw a lot of rust inside. It comes from the hole from the vynil top molding hole at the top of the A pillar.

There is not much only small spots of surface rust on the top of the a pillar.

Also attached some of my rear window fixings.

How do i fix this problem? Any advice would be great, its the only rust on the car.

Attachments

• IMG_0220.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0225.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_0219.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 265
Is this on a '72 swinger? The one in your avitar?
I had a '72 swinger that had the same problem as yours. It was a non vinyl top car and had vey little body rust. The guy i sold it to cut the whole corner (both sides) out of a '73 2 door scamp i had that was rust free in the window corners. He then cut out the affected area on the '72 and spliced in the repair pieces, first drilling out the spot welds and then installing it in layers. He used weld through primer throughout, and mig'd all of the joints. A very time consuming job, but he did it in a day.
The rust was about the same, and in the same areas except the rear. That was still rust free and clean.
Is this a '72 swinger thing? I haven't seen it on other years this bad even on rust buckets. Trunk floors have almost always been bad on the '72 a bodies that i have seen too.
I hope this helps.

Yes a 72 swinger like in my avatar, absolutely no rust anywhere except for the 3 areas, just not sure how to go about taking car of the rust inside the a pillar, or do i worry about it. Not too many part cars up in here in ottawa, or may i say no part cars. :)

Is this on a '72 swinger? The one in your avitar?
I had a '72 swinger that had the same problem as yours. It was a non vinyl top car and had vey little body rust. The guy i sold it to cut the whole corner (both sides) out of a '73 2 door scamp i had that was rust free in the window corners. He then cut out the affected area on the '72 and spliced in the repair pieces, first drilling out the spot welds and then installing it in layers. He used weld through primer throughout, and mig'd all of the joints. A very time consuming job, but he did it in a day.
The rust was about the same, and in the same areas except the rear. That was still rust free and clean.
Is this a '72 swinger thing? I haven't seen it on other years this bad even on rust buckets. Trunk floors have almost always been bad on the '72 a bodies that i have seen too.
I hope this helps.

id buy the panels and a pillar if they made them. :(

PM crackedback, he usually has clean metal available.

If not, start making small patches from the top and work your way down. If your gonna have a shop do it, it'll probably be about two days of work.

If have clean steel on the top but its rusty on backside, what are my options? I am sure this a decision many of you have had to make. What shall I do. :)

1.Clean the surfave on top, replace what ever i cant grind out, seal and paint.
2. Replace the whole pillar due to rust on the backside?

I've used one step rust ender in places where I only needed to stop the rust. I've even used compressed air to force the stuff into places I couldn't see, just hoping coverage was complete.

I would use a sand blaster on the inside / back sides of anything that was not a wide soft outside surface panel. Blow / vacuum out the sand and then self etching epoxy all down in behind there. After that, Like others said, weld in replacement pieces if you can make / find them. If you cannot get to the rust on the back , get it blasted and sealed, it will slowly spread and it is a variable matter of time before it starts showing up.

I have heard there are flexible spray wands that allow you to spray epoxy inside structural areas with limited access. Have not found one yet.

Post an ad with pics of needed sections.Many guys/gals here willing to help you get what you need.Good luck.

Unless you have the car dipped, you're not going to get it all out.

I would sandblast the area and see what you got left, then you can see the extent of the damage

I m doing the rust kemo therapy restore on mine without going the dip route. I got a inner frame and rocker seal spay from eastwood. It comes with a long thin hose. I would do that after doing the blast and small patch welds and i think it should be enough. Or im hoping it isO:)

Thanks guys i decided to do the eastwood inner frame spray and might be getting parts to replace steel from a member here. :)

Thanks guys i decided to do the eastwood inner frame spray and might be getting parts to replace steel from a member here. :)

Cool.. I am thinking about using eastwood can O spray / tube deal on some inside rocker areas. Inside the cowl as well. Going to drill couple small holes in the rockers then weld them up after the spraying. :bom:

-
Back