Installed new modern starter now runs like crap help

-

Anthony Beauchamp

Reaction score
First post thanks in advance, I have a 1966 barracuda with a 340. I bought it and have been replacing parts. My old starter was heat soaked after 20 min of running if I shut it down it wouldn't start up for 45 min. I replaced it with a modern light weight starter. I noticed the first time cranking it didn't sound right sounded fast kinda clunky. Third try it starts but runs extremely poor shakes hard. I said to hell with it put back in the old starter. It fires up like it should but has a nasty sound in the back of the motor after a few seconds of running. I know my descriptive words don't help but has anyone ran into this? what did I break any advice would help?

Converter cover or loose converter bolts.
Changing a starter has zero effect on how a motor runs.

Auto shop A1A, just because you bought it new doesn't mean it works correct.
(RIP- Mr. Kingham)

Last edited:
No comment.

Jake

Last edited:
as these guys have already said, the starter should have no effect on how it runs. now if you knocked a plug wire or vacuum hose off while installing it. that might cause it to run rough.

Or pinched/shorted a power wire driving the Alternator into max output mode. But don't worry, the fusible link will melt, and then you'll know what's what.
That's a joke, and I know it ain't funny.

How about exhaust leak?

Checked vacuum and power wires there good just fired it up to hear it again. Its a clucking noise at around 1k rpm don't hear it past that. It never used to be there could it be a damaged flywheel? It definitely sounds past the motor towards the trans.

Bent the sheet metal plate (dust guard) that starter goes through?

Did the starter you installed have one large bolt hole & one small bolt hole? If so, did you put a spacer in the large hole so that the starter aligns correctly on the teeth of the converter? Just a thought, I had the same problem with the drive not meshing properly.

Did the starter you installed have one large bolt hole & one small bolt hole? If so, did you put a spacer in the large hole so that the starter aligns correctly on the teeth of the converter? Just a thought, I had the same problem with the drive not meshing properly.
I didn't in my research I found it was supposed to be a bolt on situation.

Check your convertor bolts. Or check the snout length and relaxed gear distance between the 2. never seen a Ram style starter have different bolt holes.

I have three of the now, one in the Ram, one in the Caravan, & one in the race car. Unfortunately, I had 3 starters go out in three separate vehicles in 5 months.

I saw a thread a while back where the new starter contacted the flex plate. Some clearancing was required. Would be best to poke a light in where starter goes and look for damage.

Checked vacuum and power wires there good just fired it up to hear it again. Its a clucking noise at around 1k rpm don't hear it past that. It never used to be there could it be a damaged flywheel? It definitely sounds past the motor towards the trans.

Going to say this for a couple of us one more time and I'm out.
CHECK THE CONVERTER BOLTS FOR TIGHT.

-
Back