Installed new Tuff steering wheel today.

-

6770Dartman

Reaction score
Wanted to spice up the interior of my '70 Dart Swinger and so I installed this Grant Repro Tuff Steering Wheel today. Needed to buy the adapter kit because I wanted to obviously keep the original wheel and didn't want to destroy it. Like it alot and want to add some sort of emblem to the horn pad. Any suggestions?

small steering wheel.jpg

Looks great. Where did you buy the wheel and the adaptor? Did it require any modification to turn signal lever?
I got the wheel from Year One and the adapter kit from the Paddock.
It was kind of a tricky job because we used some parts from the additional kit and some parts from the steering wheel package. There is just enough clearance for the turn signal but with a little force (bending) I got another 1/4-1/2". It is still tight as you can see but it does not rub and I don't think it will bother me.

It really does dress up the whole interior. I just put a leather wrapped Tuff wheel in my Dat, and LOVE the look and feel!

those are great wheels , especially for the money. love the on i put on my car. i used the stock rimblow wheel adapter to moun it.

The wheel looks very good, color matched and all.
Heres an idea for the horn pad...
matching woodgrain but circular like cut end of log, black emblem suggests burned or branded into. A graphics shop could probably make up something on stripe vynil.
Now on a sour note... If you bent the signal wand in place without heat, it bent in the weakest point which is the hole for the retaining screw. Lets hope it didn't crack. If you ever pull the plastic knob off and hit that stem with a hacksaw you'll find out just how hard the material is that the factory used there. I went to the extra trouble to remove the wand. I shoertened the black plastic knob and stem about a half inch and used a torch to lessen the bend angle about 10 degrees.

Nice wheel. What about replicating the red ring and Dodge emblem that appears on your avatar?
C

How about one of the old triangle Dart emblems. Cut the pins off and mount it with 3M trim tape.

Isn't the one in the photo above wrapped in leather?!? Sure looks like it.

Dartman? Inquiring minds want to know more about your steering wheel.

I found my leather wrapped at P G Classics for $175 in black. They have other colors for $225. They are really nice!

The wheel looks very good, color matched and all.
Heres an idea for the horn pad...
matching woodgrain but circular like cut end of log, black emblem suggests burned or branded into. A graphics shop could probably make up something on stripe vynil.
Now on a sour note... If you bent the signal wand in place without heat, it bent in the weakest point which is the hole for the retaining screw. Lets hope it didn't crack. If you ever pull the plastic knob off and hit that stem with a hacksaw you'll find out just how hard the material is that the factory used there. I went to the extra trouble to remove the wand. I shoertened the black plastic knob and stem about a half inch and used a torch to lessen the bend angle about 10 degrees.

RedFish, thanks for all the great suggestions.

How about one of the old triangle Dart emblems. Cut the pins off and mount it with 3M trim tape.

Red Swinger, this is the idea that I am leaning towards. I saw a few on EBay but I am not sure how large they are. I emailed one of the guys selling one for the measurements. I figure I could pus a hole where the two stems are from the emblem and then tighten with nuts.

sure that s a grant then?? never seen a grant that is leather wrapped. i know B7E i think it was sells them leather wrapped. whats the grant number on it? maybe its something new then.

sure that s a grant then?? never seen a grant that is leather wrapped. i know B7E i think it was sells them leather wrapped. whats the grant number on it? maybe its something new then.

I'm not sure of the number, however, all the packaging said Grant.

If you look at the wheel and the auto readout(selector) there is a factory adaptor or "can", i don't see that on yours.

If you look at the wheel and the auto readout(selector) there is a factory adaptor or "can", i don't see that on yours.

OK I understand now. On the repro model, the "can" is not as wide. It is black but is only about 3/4" deep. On the picture I supplied the "can" on my wheel is not visible.

-
Back