Installing 3/4 inch spring relocating kit.

-

vwmoparguy

Reaction score
I went to install the front offset bracket and quickly realized that the nut that's welded on the bracket interferes with the frame rail. The only way I can see to make this work would be to make a hole in the frame rail for the nut to reside in. Is this the way it's done? 65 Dart.

I went to install the front offset bracket and quickly realized that the nut that's welded on the bracket interferes with the frame rail. The only way I can see to make this work would be to make a hole in the frame rail for the nut to reside in. Is this the way it's done? 65 Dart.

Yep then you may need to pop the studs out of the bracket to install the brackets unless you do a big hole in the frame. All these little mods sound easy till you go to do them.

Seems like I also had trouble installing the leaf spring bolt. Better put the leaf on the bracket and install that big bolt before installing the bracket too!

Some use a torch and hammer to dent the frame rail.

Thanks guys. I'll figure something out. The problem is the car is at my house and my fully equipped shop is 15 miles away. I'll just have to drag more tools home I guess.
My bad for thinking this was a bolt on deal (except for relocating the spring perches). I've been waiting for two months to free up a weekend to install this rear end and now I'm stuck. Oh well, there's a beer calling my name now.

I use a grinder and double cut bit to make the hole. I clearanced it so it was fairly easy to slide in without messing with the 4 studs.

I just installed a set onto my car.

NO HOLES OR CUTTING DENTING NOTHING.

I purchased my offset kit from Doctor Diff and his unique Offsets do not require any mods at all
They tuck right up beside the frame.
THanks Cass!!

http://www.doctordiff.com/

I just installed a set onto my car.

NO HOLES OR CUTTING DENTING NOTHING.

I purchased my offset kit from Doctor Diff and his unique Offsets do not require any mods at all
They tuck right up beside the frame.
THanks Cass!!

http://www.doctordiff.com/

Ditto, I don't remember if it was Dr. Diff or another retailer but the offset hanger did not require any hole drilling. The front bolt has a small head that you can wrench on the threaded end. I took a lot of pictures of the installation but I have no idea where I stored them. If I can find them I'll post a few.

I have the Mopar kit. The welded on nut and the head of the bolt are the same size. Maybe I could find a thinner nut and cut off the one that's welded on. I'll have to look at it again in a day or so.

I tried to install it with the leaf spring attached. It wasn't even close. On my car it looks like once the front mount is on, it will be right up against the frame rail.

I wonder if the earlier cars are a bit different in that area? Both of you that required no mods, have later cars.

Mine are on already but if I have to remove tham as I finnish the car I will take some pics. It slams tight up against the frame . They are a nice prof set.

Cass uses a countersunk bolt head on the frame side. Part of the issue you run into with these things is the frame rail is not vertical. It's wider at the top and narrows/tapers near the bottom. Makes getting the mount tight to the rail tough.

There is a hole in the frame of my car which I just opened up a bit and extended rearward.

Built my own relocation hangers, need a couple of gussets and done

Offsethangers001.jpg

Offsethangers002.jpg

Here's two pics of the one I used and how it fits:

Attachments

• DSCN0159 (Medium).JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCN0183 (Medium).JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 340
The bracket also has a countersunk drilled into the face to match

Ordered some bolts from Mcmaster Carr. I don't like how the leaf spring bushing will be riding mostly on threads but I guess it works. The stock bolt is shouldered the whole length of the leaf spring bushing.

-
Back