installing a 8 point roll bar this weekend TURBO TOAD

-

srixon4406

TURBO TOAD
Reaction score
Ok I'm final getting ready to install a roll bar in my 62 valiant "TURBO TOAD" I have the main hoop tacked in with the mounting plates welded to the floor
IMG_20120406_172444.jpg

here's a couple of the main hoop and the drives seat
IMG_20120406_174243.jpg

IMG_20120406_174250.jpg

This is my first attempt at installing a roll bar so feel free to help if I'm doing something wrong
Aaron

Are you doing this to pass tech? If so do you have the rule book. I think it has to have certain measurements as far as how far it is from the panels, and the crossbar etc.

I'm doing for the night Friday ill pick back up in the morning oh this is a 67 and up A body kit from JEGS
IMG_20120406_213917.jpg

IMG_20120406_214023.jpg

IMG_20120406_214005.jpg

Can I get copies or something of what the specs need to be for the tech? I wanna race but not class wise, I just wanna do mostly test and tune, but rather have it done correctly

67 and up a body ? Looks like it fits well , any issues ?

Yes its a 67 and up jegs 12 point kit and no issues yet the wife came down with kidney stone's over the weekend and I'm in Chicago with my daughter but I'm hoping to finishing it up this next weekend and ill post more pics

I also download the rule book from the link 67dart273 posted about a month ago its kind of hard to understand as this is my first time building one but I can't find any reference on the back support? If anybody can help with the back support it would be very helpful

Thanks Aaron

Right those are the mild steel kit's? How much weight did it add?

Right those are the mild steel kit's? How much weight did it add?

Yes its a mild steel kit and if I had to guess maybe 100 pounds which I'd say with out me in the car should put the valiant at about 2600 pounds but I'm hoping this setup should put me in the tens but will see
Aaron

What kind of welder are you using? or maybe a better question is What kind of welding must be done with this kit for it to pass spec? Mig or Tig? Sorry

You can either use a mig or tig on mild steel but its my understanding that a moly cage must be tig welded I have both but I'm just learning how to tig weld so I'm mig welding this one
Aaron

You can either use a mig or tig on mild steel but its my understanding that a moly cage must be tig welded I have both but I'm just learning how to tig weld so I'm mig welding this one
Aaron

Will it still be legal if you use a mig? Thats what we have
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/NHRA-legal_roll_bar

I wanted to get it welded before paint, but this is making it seem like I should put the seat in before so, what do you all think?

Welcome. The issue is, friend has a Mig and the prices in Bay area are like 500-1200 for welding a cage. WAY TO MUCH

Did you need to trim the pieces before you started welding?

Ouch that is high you could buy a tig welder for that cost I wanted to put a moly cage in but I got the kit from a local member for about half the cost and no shipping charges and I may go ahead and install the whole 12 point kit this winter but I'm trying to get this project down the track
Aaron

Welcome. The issue is, friend has a Mig and the prices in Bay area are like 500-1200 for welding a cage. WAY TO MUCH

Did you need to trim the pieces before you started welding?

Are you talking just the welding after the Cage is tacked in is that much?

Ouch that is high you could buy a tig welder for that cost I wanted to put a moly cage in but I got the kit from a local member for about half the cost and no shipping charges and I may go ahead and install the whole 12 point kit this winter but I'm trying to get this project down the track
Aaron

What type of metal are the jegs kits? Steel or Chrome moly?

Are you talking just the welding after the Cage is tacked in is that much?

Ive seen the work you do, i wish I could pay you instead of my friend to do it. But your far from where the car is. The car is in San jose Ca aka Bay Area

-
Back