Intake design for stock appearing class and needed a winter project

-
I will weigh them. I have another untouched one. Picking it up, about the same

Kept me off the couch, also gives me a good reason to pull the one on there off and do some more massaging on it.

Wouldn't a T/A of AAR be the ticket for running a smallblock in that event ?

It would be, and is a good option....... you just need to have a 70 challenger or cuda to make into one.

Of course....... the quickest small block is a Duster with a TQ.

As good as the TQs are I would think in modified form they would not compete with a 6 pac setup . Even with a Competiton TQ...
Correct me if my thinking is askew.

It would be, and is a good option....... you just need to have a 70 challenger or cuda to make into one.

Of course....... the quickest small block is a Duster with a TQ.

You have to run the intake/carb that’s correct for the car.

So, to run a 340-6...... it has to be in a 70 challenger or cuda, with all the correct T/A parts on it.
There are a few of those that run in the series, but they have yet to get all that close to what the 71 Duster has run(10.70’s).

Also you are pushing it through the same exhaust manifolds.

71 passenger side exhaust manifold is much worse than the 70. Hard to say what a max effort AAR or T/A could do. Intake and carb is better, exhaust manifolds are better than 71, tires are better and you could run smaller in front, exhaust system sucks and is heavy, car overall is heavier than a duster. I could get one in the 10's but you definitely won't want to start with a real one.
Also you are pushing it through the same exhaust manifolds.

Ok, an original intake weighs 43 lbs! I have manage to ADD 4 lbs to it for a grand total of 47lbs. But I will have a salad for lunch tomorrow!!!

Very cool project, l hope it works out.
Reminds me of a rare factory Hemi intake I saw not that long ago, but I can’t find a pic now. I believe it was a factory 1964 cast iron intake called a reverse tunnel ram. Looked like a stock intake on top but it bellied down and filled the valley with long runners.

Looked back at your picks, nice work.
Short runners, similar to an Indy Modman

Well, it is almost finished. Just need to paint it and throw it on. We’ll see, a bunch of compromises in there to make it fit.

6D76B271-11D5-4142-A654-2B866B401645.jpeg

87AD9BF7-1C13-4616-B42B-23AE38CDB15B.jpeg

24113B16-FB27-4FC7-B07F-3964B78E6BC3.jpeg

I'm impressed with the effort and your dedication, hope it works great.

I'm impressed with the effort and your dedication, hope it works great.
Agree 100%
I also think if this don't work, that this is a good idea that
" pishta "Made
There was an AMC racer that put 2 heads together top and bottom to raise the port height. How he did it, not sure but it would have probably been an angle cut to keep the chamber intact, just cutting the corner off and putting a taller corner on...lots of work for sure.
Experienced Cast Iron welding for that project though.

I know the higher you can raise the roof at the head/intake the better it while flow.(Straighter line to the valve.)

Im just spit balling here but what if you installed an alu spacer, for the valve cover. Say 1/4-3/8 thick. Sealed it to the head and then ported the intake of the head/intake much higher. you would end up grinding through the mating surface of the intake and have to weld it up and then make it look stock looking again but that might a, jump in power.
Of course you would match the csa all the way up the port, alowing it to breath better up top...........

Last edited:
Hope that either of those helps give that Nova fits trying to keep up.

I can’t run a valve cover spacer. It would be nice I could. The rocker is close to the cover! Might have to make a taller cover some day.

Very cool project, l hope it works out.
Reminds me of a rare factory Hemi intake I saw not that long ago, but I can’t find a pic now. I believe it was a factory 1964 cast iron intake called a reverse tunnel ram. Looked like a stock intake on top but it bellied down and filled the valley with long runners.
Hemi Bathtub intake? So it would fit the hood of the stocker.
img_20200215_094028426_hdr-jpg.jpg

you could do crazy with the ducting of a dry intake with injectors at the head. air can make turns that air/fuel would hit a wall and lose suspension.

-
Back