Intake manifold questions

-

CrankyMike

Reaction score
I ran across this intake manifold for sale and trying to find out what it is exactly. Have been unable to find info on the Edelbrock website or Google. Looks like a single plane in the photos but is listed as a street performer for small block mopar in the ad. Would it be worth buying for use on a street engine?

426392424_7172712332764693_7228452093391094467_n.jpg

427961202_5735631566560826_7093650641726013877_n.jpg

I ran across this intake manifold for sale and trying to find out what it is exactly. Have been unable to find info on the Edelbrock website or Google. Looks like a single plane in the photos but is listed as a street performer for small block mopar in the ad. Would it be worth buying for use on a street engine?

View attachment 1716222434

View attachment 1716222435
What does it say under the Edelbrock name. I can't read it. It looks like a Streetmaster.

If the price was right….
You could port it. It’ll take a bunch of effort.
I still would t use it.

I was able to find out more info on this manifold. Was basically a small carb manifold designed for mpg gains on stock smog engines of the 70's it seems. Not the bargain I had hoped it was. I did not buy it once I found out what it actually was. Thanks guys.

It's got the small 273/318 port size, so it would be silly to run it on a 340 or 360.
It's actually not too bad of a manifold for a 273, makes some good torque on the little motor and breaths well enough to feed a nice little motor- but it's gonna run out of steam real quick with even a healthy 'teener (an MPG build would be something else, though...).
You can't open up the plenum very much since the outside of the manifold also necks down to follow that bottleneck; opening it up would blow right through the casting.

I have one I got from Garrett Ellison, it is all done at 4500 because of the restriction, however in combination with an RV cam it pulls like a freight train up to 4500. You can grind on the restrictor, the amount you can take out is limited

And stick a 2 inch open spacer on it and increase the plenum size.

Personally I wouldn't use it either, but if you have a bone stock 2-barrel 318 it would be an improvement in just weight reduction.

Seriously I would pass on it. There are far better intakes to be had.

Tom

LD4B if you can find one. 1500-5000+ rpm range

LD4B if you can find one. 1500-5000+ rpm range

I ran one of those when
I pulled my 318 out of my 1976 dodge van and built a 360
For it back in the late 1970’s. J or X heads, aftermarket pistons and towing cam, headers and a 650 Holley. She ran and towed great.

i ran one of these on a stone stock 68 318 with a carter 625. stock manifolds with a 904 behind it and some 2.76's out back. it was "spunky" on the street with tons of throttle response and could one wheel peel for blocks.

it definitely has a "ceiling" where it just flat stops making power.

i also ran it on the same stock 68 motor with an RV cam, headers and a holley economaster 4bbl. it was a hoot to drive around and got good mileage on the highway.

unless you were building a low-rent pound around out of the change you could scrounge from the couch cushions, and already had this, there's better options around.

I had one on a 79 d100 with a 69 318 an a833od an RV cam, and 3.91s, for the truck that it was it ran great, better than I expected for what it was. I never got it high enough to run out of steam. I have also run an sp-2p on a diplomat ex squad that I had, it ran "alright" but I wouldn't say "great".
I didn't have both at the same time but I'd have liked to have ran those intakes on the opposite engine. Both had Carterbrock 625s on them.
I did seem to have more percolation issues when hot on the diplomat, don't know that the intake choice had anything to do with it... I'm thinking the truck was less a problem with that because the under hood area was bigger, more air space to carry the heat away. Both ran long tube headers too.
In both cases it was "what I had access to at the time".

If you want a really good old school intake, find a Street Dominator. Also a single plane, but they lose nothing on the bottom end. They have a full, open plenum and not the funnel crap of the Streetmaster. Still available reasonably.

-
Back