Intake swap, poss gains?

-

1980volare

Reaction score
Stock stroke 318, comp xe268 with 1.7 rockers on Hughes prepped iron ram mag heads flow 250@ .500. Ootb rpm air gap and 650dp with a proform main body. 3400lbs. ucc converter Built For my car. Best et last year was 13.30 @105 with a 2.1 60' with a 4.10 amd stock mag heads.this year it's going 13.10 with a 1.75 60' @101. With a 4.56 and new heads.

Been thinking of making the swap to a m1 or super Vic. If it would pick it up. Car feels way faster then last year, track times don't reflect that tho.

So the Question lies. Would it pick up? Should run good on paper, but I'm a tad disappointed.

IMO...NO..it will not help you out....

I would stay with the eddy air gap...

Our 71 Duster uses the eddy air gap....probably the best dual plane intake ever make...runs hard up to 6500 rpm

Someone else swapped out an air gap for an M1 and the car's 60 ft slowed down...there was a thread about it on here

IMO...NO..it will not help you out....

I would stay with the eddy air gap...

Our 71 Duster uses the eddy air gap....probably the best dual plane intake ever make...runs hard up to 6500 rpm

Someone else swapped out an air gap for an M1 and the car's 60 ft slowed down...there was a thread about it on here

What size carb are you using?

750 dp with a proform body and it is a 365 cu inches...and probably alot lighter then Volare...oh..oh...oh...Volare....a ...a...a.. ...a song..

My stock stroke 340 made 470hp @ 6000 rpm and 455 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm with the "LA" air gap manifold and a Quick Fuel SS-750-AN double pumper. That manifold is not going to hold you back at all.

If you want to make more power, I think you need to look into a roller cam. My engine has a hydraulic roller and beehive valve springs, but there isn't too much else about it that's out of the ordinary.

My stock stroke 340 made 470hp @ 6000 rpm and 455 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm with the "LA" air gap manifold and a Quick Fuel SS-750-AN double pumper. That manifold is not going to hold you back at all.

If you want to make more power, I think you need to look into a roller cam. My engine has a hydraulic roller and beehive valve springs, but there isn't too much else about it that's out of the ordinary.

I don't race on a dyno, so that doesn't help. Bolting on heads that flow 20-40cfm better should pick up a few .10. So that is a little out of the ordinary.

I'd look at head porting and a different cam.

I don't race on a dyno, so that doesn't help. Bolting on heads that flow 20-40cfm better should pick up a few .10. So that is a little out of the ordinary.

The thing is that more head flow doesn't necessarily equal better performance with all things being the same. The car runs less MPH than before so its likely that changing the heads probably have some negative effect on the power band OR the RPMs are too high with the 4.56 gears.

If you lost port velocity or compression, you may have lost some torque in the lower part of your powerband. It could also be that the tune is less ideal than before.

I mention the dyno results because the thing makes power literally everywhere between 3000 and 6200 rpm, which is likely the range you're running in all the time as well. If you had a really big cam and some super high flow heads (300+) maybe a single plane intake might be more fitting.

Not sure of your tire diameter, your converter or your trap rpm......But, I have to believe you're over geared in the current configuration.

The fact that you gained 60' and lost mph with the gear swap tell me your converter is fairly tight.

I'd go for a little more duration on the cam to raise your power level upstairs. I think more is to be gained there then a intake swap.

I just put the 4.56 in last week, to see what changed. Picked up 60' an et by .2. Trap rpm with the 4.56 is 5500 and with my 3.91 it's 4400. 28" diameter tire.

The swap won't help you at all. At best you'll run the exact same, but will probably lose those 2 tenths you just picked up. Btw I'm the guy Tony (70aarcuda) is talking about.

Imo you need to take that money and put it into some tires and/or suspension. Also, it would be a really good idea to talk to Lenny to see if the gear change would require the converter to be restalled. It might be too tight now.

The swap won't help you at all. At best you'll run the exact same, but will probably lose those 2 tenths you just picked up. Btw I'm the guy Tony (70aarcuda) is talking about.

Imo you need to take that money and put it into some tires and/or suspension. Also, it would be a really good idea to talk to Lenny to see if the gear change would require the converter to be restalled. It might be too tight now.

Did your mph pick up,from changing to a m1? I'm looking into a super Vic over the m1

For your combo, the Air-gap is perfect....don't change to the super Vic, that manifold doesn't match your combo at all.

For what it's worth, my car has run 10.80's with an Air-gap....it's NOT going to hold you back.

And if those last two posts do not convince you, well you just go on ahead and waste some money and time fooling around chasing your tale some. :)

Thanks, guess ill go cam shopping then. Any recommendations?

Have you considered going to a flat tappet solid? You definitely have to consider lift with the 1.7 rockers.....as in piston to valve clearance.

With the 4.56's, a little more cam, and possibly a little larger carb, will bring your top end in line. I am assuming this is a all or mainly a track car.

I'll sniff around for a grind that give you some duration, but doesn't put your lift over the top.....If I see something that looks decent, i'll post it up.

3.91 to 4.56, rpm should go up about 16% for same MPH. RPM goes up 1100 (25%) for 4 less MPH...

Yeah nothing wrong here.

I'm still looking around at some cam choices, but that 4 mph drop has me a little worried. I have to wonder if your fuel delivery is up to snuff? That's quite a drop in mph with just a gear change.

Gaining .35 on the 60'...and losing 4 mph at the top.....just food for thought for other member to consider.

What does the car have,for a fuel system up to the carb.What kind of fuel pump/ Just curious.

Old MPH = 12.50's New 60's = 12.50's

What were the incrementals on each run and how much MPH did it pick up on the backhalf? It should pick up ~ 20mph from 1/8 to 1/4 poles.

Fuel delivery is my first suspect.

Holley high flow mechanical pump. 650 double pumper with a proform main body. My wideband o2 took a crap, but it likes a fatter jet. Last Friday I had it at 74 and 87 now it's at 78 and 92 with a 6.5 pv

Old heads flow 210cfm at .500 new ones flow 240@ .500 with a 2.02 intake valve, maybe I need a bigger carb. Have 5psi fp at wot.

-
Back