Intakes? Boost? And bears oh my!

-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I was talking with @TT5.9mag asking him for input and help on a Turbo 360 LA project I want to start on, and beings that I have never dabbled in the arts of boost before one can easily say I have no clue of what I'm doing. As he was talking with me I made a lost looking for an M1 intake to run on said engine and @rumblefish360 mentioned he thought the Edelbrock Torker II intake would be perfect for it. So I decided it was worth while to make a post, let's talk intakes when on boosted applications, whether it be for supercharger, turbo or heck even through in Nitrous... anything outside of the N/A builds. Thoughts and inputs?

Any and all can work. Let’s start with defining the combo. Blow through carb? Efi?

Any and all can work. Let’s start with defining the combo. Blow through carb? Efi?
Right. It will be a blow through carb, roughly 9.5:1 CR with a Racer Brown custom grind cam, Eagle SIR Rods/ SRP pistons, and scat crank a very lightweight rev-happy assembly to aid with info. Will be in a heavy W150 pickup.

Now let’s add the Richard Holdener famous words, “boost is a multiplier of na power. Anything you do to make power na is reflected and multiplied under boost”. And, “the more low speed power (torque) the engine makes, the more responsive the turbo will be”.

So for a heavy truck, cruiser street basher, tire fryer type of build, keeping the low speed torque up and turbo response high will be important. So smallish turbo(s), keep intake duration down and an intake that has long(ish) runners will be key to having an enjoyable truck. I dont like dual plane intakes with boost for distribution reasons, but I also don’t like a super victor in this app. I’m thinking torker or Holley strip dominator might get my attention.

Do you know the specs on your Racer Brown cam?

Last edited:
So I was talking with @TT5.9mag asking him for input and help on a Turbo 360 LA project I want to start on, and beings that I have never dabbled in the arts of boost before one can easily say I have no clue of what I'm doing. As he was talking with me I made a lost looking for an M1 intake to run on said engine and @rumblefish360 mentioned he thought the Edelbrock Torker II intake would be perfect for it. So I decided it was worth while to make a post, let's talk intakes when on boosted applications, whether it be for supercharger, turbo or heck even through in Nitrous... anything outside of the N/A builds. Thoughts and inputs?
I like the Torker 2, have one on order for a 318 nitrous build I want to do once I have all the parts collected.

I would pass on the SIR rods for a boost application and use at least Scat I beams or better for rods.

I ran the torker 340 on 2 nitrous motors 1 318 340 heads the 2nd a 340
318 had the hemi grind 340 had a g/k 243@50 108
both setups had 3.23s
the 340 setup started as a 4sp put a 727 in it then back to the pistol grip 4spd
dp on both setups
the nitrous made up for the longer cams and not enough gear stock 340 stall
the vega i beat for a long time had 4.56s idled@1400 no spray finally figured it out posting 12.49 he still had to run me down if i had 4.10s no chance. I use to race 1/2 mile and mile for money most of the cars i raced 1/4 mile had 4.56s my comment was if you have alot of power you dont need 4.56 gears
The torker 2 was made to trying and give better low speed toque then 340 torker with boost id run the torker 340 it makes great numbers after 4500
oh and its total bs you cant run a dp on and auto my whole setup was harder for a dp
but not if you can tune it

Buddy bar is a foundry that casts aluminum products including intakes. Agree that looks homemade (fairly well done) and for some kind of boost. They used to seal the carb in a box before blow through carbs were popular. Definitely not for trans am or nascar though.

I believe the base is Edelbrock STR-12 cast by Buddy Bar, and the rest custom made. It looks like something that was put together to run at Bonneville with.

The fuel filters inside the plenum are throwing me for a loop. Can’t see why you’d do that.

Weird right?!?!

I don’t know what this guy was thinking. It’s a little confusing.
I’d live a base to tinker with. Put a one or two barrel over each corner.

Weird right?!?!

I don’t know what this guy was thinking. It’s a little confusing.
I’d live a base to tinker with. Put a one or two barrel over each corner.
I don’t think he knows what he’s selling. Just got a hold of a “rare” intake and it’s asking all the money for it.

The small single plane is going to be right on target for the boost setup. I’m partial to a Weiand 7510 or 7545 X-cellerator just because the symmetry looks better (for even better distribution) than the Torker II. I’m guessing the lightweight rotating assembly is going to be a stroker of some kind, hopefully a 4 inch arm?

@Garrett Ellison i remember one of the excellerator manifolds having a heat crossover but not which one. Are you familiar enough with them to know?

Both models do. The later 7545 was the Xcellerator, and the earlier model 7510 both have crossovers. The port size in them directly matches a Felpro 1243 intake gasket. The major difference between the two is it looks like the the 7510 had a slightly larger plenum and didn’t have the raised pad with the Xcellerator emblem.
Here is the early 7510

I will get pictures of the 7545 with detail of the plenum and ports later this evening when I get back home. I especially like the raised floor and tapered runners in these manifolds. I don’t recall what the 7510 is rated for, but Weiand claimed a usable power range of 1500 to 7000 with the 7545.

1BC32DBC-31D9-45D9-A3BB-61410DADCA33.jpeg

I'd still vote dual plane for any kind of street motor. But I can also understand how the single is attractive from a fuel dist viewpoint.

Won't you have fuel dist issues anyway with a blow through, with that elbow on top?

-
Back