Interesting articles on the 273 engine

-

David Lee

Reaction score
I ran across this and more on the website: LA - Chrysler small block V8 engines ,and thought it interesting for the performance engine enthusiasts here. I haven't explored the site completely, but did notice a lack of information on building a 273 engine, although I'm sure that the info supplied on the site would apply to the 273/ 273 Commando engine.

I am curious as to the option of having hardened valve seats machined into the 273 Commando would be cost effective and if so what size valves could be fit into the heads. This is a query for future reference for me.

Does anyone have advice for me regarding using a lead substitute to prolong the life of the head? As I understand the pre unleaded engines didn't have hardened valve seats and unleaded fuel in the leaded gas engines will cause premature valve seat wear. The article follows:

The first LA was the 273, with a two barrel carb, producing 180 gross hp. In 1965, a four-barrel carb and high performance cam could push that up to 235 hp; and, in 1966, a limited edition 273 with a 700 cfm carb and .500" lift cam put out 275 hp. ( From poster: Not bad pushing 300 h.p. In a stock motor! This must be the " Commando" engine?)

Engineer Pete Hagenbuch said:

The LA (for Light A) engine was developed with a wedge chamber, first as a 273 cid and then as a 318. Remember, this was the time the car lines expanded to three bodies, A, B and C. The 273 was limited to the A and B bodies with the 318 or B Engine in the C Body, which was new to Plymouth at the time.

Later came the 340 and then the 360, both with wedge chambers. And now, the one time state-of-the-art Mound Road Engine Plant is empty. And the brand that used the majority of its production has disappeared too, to join ranks with names like Packard, Hudson, Desoto, Studebaker, Nash and Willys. Next to join this group will be Oldsmobile, another of the pioneer nameplates to be tossed aside. It seems that a cherished name with a long history is not considered of value in this day and age.

1967 273 V8 273 V8
273.jpg

Carburetor 2 barrel 4 barrel
Manual transmissions 3 or 4 speeds 4 speeds
Gross horsepower (Valiant) 180 @ 4,200 235 @ 5,200
Torque (Valiant) 260 @ 1,600 260 @ 4,000
Bore and Stroke 3.63 x 3.31 3.63 x 3.31
Compression Ratio :1 8.8 10.5
Standard Tire/Wheel 7 x 13 (wheel 4.5) (Valiant)
The intake manifold was special hybrid single/dual plane design that incorporated two plenums, one for each side of the engine. They were joined by a specially sized rectangular passage that solved lean/rich problems that occurred with the initial, purely dual plenum design that dedicated one barrel of the BBD to each bank. This was done to reduce the overall height of the engine and allow installation in the (originally /6 designed) Valiant engine compartment. (Thanks, Jim Deane.)

Since the bolt angle on the intake changed in 1966, the 1964-65 heads and intake are unique and cannot be interchanged with other LA engines or with the later 273.

In 1968, the 273 got a hydraulic cam; the forged steel crank was replaced with a standard nodular cast iron crankshaft to save money. 1969 was the final year for the 273, its thunder having been stolen by the LA 318, which was introduced in 1967; but it still got a new manifold heat control valve (also used on the 318) with a disc-shaped counterweight.

LA-318.jpg

The LA 318 was never used as a performance engine by Chrysler, unlike the 318 A-engine; the 273 four-barrel matched it in peak horsepower, and the more performance-oriented 340 was quickly released in 1968.

I askes my machine shop (mopar guy) about hardened seats In 273 and he said for a street car with limited miles not to worry about them. Car gets maybe 5000 miles a year.

I askes my machine shop (mopar guy) about hardened seats In 273 and he said for a street car with limited miles not to worry about them. Car gets maybe 5000 miles a year.

Thanks very much for the advice. That had been on my mind for awhile. At the most I drive mine around 2,000 miles a year. Thanks very much.

No problem, thanks for posting. I will ad that the same machine shop put hardened seats in my 340 X heads. They are still on shelf lol

My machine shop guy said the same thing to me for my 340 X heads, so I only had a couple that receded too much re-seated.

I had hardened valve seats installed in my current set, but I haven't run them yet. The valves were extremely recessed in these heads, making it mandatory. My car would get a lot of miles (if it ever gets back on the road).

There really isn't any option to run larger valves in the 273 because it's limited by the small bore size.

That 275HP motor mentioned was the "D-Dart" drag racing special. Very limited production. The street Commando was rated at 235HP.

I had hardened valve seats installed in my current set, but I haven't run them yet. The valves were extremely recessed in these heads, making it mandatory. My car would get a lot of miles (if it ever gets back on the road).

There really isn't any option to run larger valves in the 273 because it's limited by the small bore size.

That 275HP motor mentioned was the "D-Dart" drag racing special. Very limited production. The street Commando was rated at 235HP.

Thanks very much for the information. That is gold to me. I understand all of what you are talking about. I guess the one thing that can be done would be to help the flow by porting the heads and/ or port matching if it is necessary and can be done. I think we, as car guys have a tendency to want to squeeze every bit of power out of an engine that we can. One thing I have read and saw about Chrysler is they weren't afraid to make some radical designs in their engines trying to get the most power from them. One thing that has kept me interested in Mopars all of these years. Again, thanks for your input.

My Mopar machinist said the same thing about the hardened seats. A few thousand miles a year won't hurt for many years of driving. The exhaust seats are all that's needed. The intakes don't get that hot.

David Lee;

The main reason you do not see much about the 273 is because of the small size vs. the available larger sized engines. The 340 has 67 cubic inhes over the 273. Though it did come in that potent for of 1 bhp per cubic inch, the available ceiling of performance was greatly increased with the 340. Even the 318 has 45 cubes over the 273. That is a lot of cubes to give up.

The 273 is a great people mover engine. In order to "hop it up" some, MoPar has a book on it, the "Engines Book" for "LA" engines is a good source. The engine is limited in valve size with it's 3.63 bore. So some math is in order. For racing purposes, they suggest a notch in the cylinder sleeve itself. Keep the intake runners small instead of well ported out or 340/360 sized (Unless racing) in order to keep the engine up in torque with the high velocity intake charge. Pretty much, all other "LA" engine tricks apply and work well.

-
Back