Interior and dash lights

-

TheMopars

Reaction score
So I was giving a friend a ride in the Barracuda (69) and was showing him that the "cigar lighter even works" and when the lighter popped the map light right below it came on. But only the front map light, not the rear courtesy lights. I started trying a couple of things and when I rotate the headlight switch to turn on the interior lights the rear lights come on and front map light shuts off. If I turn the headlights off completely the map light turns off but if the headlight switch is on, either full or parking lights, the map light comes on. The rear lights still function correctly when the doors open and close but the map light doesn't come on with them anymore. And the cluster/dash lights no longer work. I'm going to pull out the wiring diagram to see if I can figure this out but electrical is definitely not my strength lol. Any help is appreciated. I did check the map light bulb to make sure it was seated correctly and seems fine. One clue may be that the cigar lighter doesn't work anymore, I suspect this could be the issue or maybe a grounding problem.

Last edited:
Check your fuses. They can burn off inside the cap where you can’t see it.

Ding ding ding.... what's that saying.... keep it simple stupid? I was trying to jump ahead without ever checking the box. Finally got a chance to take a look and sure enough, burnt out down at the cap. I guess everything still working but not how it's supposed to work threw me. Also found a 10A fuse in a 20A slot, not the worst crime....

Ding ding ding.... what's that saying.... keep it simple stupid? I was trying to jump ahead without ever checking the box. Finally got a chance to take a look and sure enough, burnt out down at the cap. I guess everything still working but not how it's supposed to work threw me. Also found a 10A fuse in a 20A slot, not the worst crime....
Beats a 20 in a 10!!!!

IMHO a blone fuse does not cause the symptoms you describe.

Wires melted together, or shorted might

IMHO a blone fuse does not cause the symptoms you describe.

Wires melted together, or shorted might

I was worried about that but replaced the fuse and all is back to normal. Map, courtesy and dash lights all working correctly, dimmer too.

Now that I spent an hour plus looking over the wiring diagram I know how to add the glove box light, now just need to find one!

There was a weird thing that happened with these cars we found back in the day. I don’t remember the exact sequence, but it was something like this: turn on the headlights, turn signals, emergency flashers, and step on the brake and the radio would come on.

We did this to listen to the radio in family car without the keys. Strange things can happen when something goes wrong with wiring.

There was a weird thing that happened with these cars we found back in the day. I don’t remember the exact sequence, but it was something like this: turn on the headlights, turn signals, emergency flashers, and step on the brake and the radio would come on.

We did this to listen to the radio in family car without the keys. Strange things can happen when something goes wrong with wiring.
There are some years/models where the wiring arrangement allowed a backfeed of sorts when the right combination was hit. Someone posted something like you mentioned and it made sense when looking at the wiring.

depress the brake, push the emergency flasher in til it connects but not on, and turn on the left blinker. Viola, the radio works, no key. ha ha I remember that Why?

I can't answer the partial push, but the hazard switch is always hot. It also connects to all the turn signals. So basically power is going through the hazzard back to through the turn signal switch to the fuse that's normally only hot with key in run or accessory.

So I was giving a friend a ride in the Barracuda (69) and was showing him that the "cigar lighter even works" and when the lighter popped the map light right below it came on. But only the front map light, not the rear courtesy lights. I started trying a couple of things and when I rotate the headlight switch to turn on the interior lights the rear lights come on and front map light shuts off. If I turn the headlights off completely the map light turns off but if the headlight switch is on, either full or parking lights, the map light comes on. The rear lights still function correctly when the doors open and close but the map light doesn't come on with them anymore. And the cluster/dash lights no longer work. I'm going to pull out the wiring diagram to see if I can figure this out but electrical is definitely not my strength lol. Any help is appreciated. I did check the map light bulb to make sure it was seated correctly and seems fine. One clue may be that the cigar lighter doesn't work anymore, I suspect this, maybe a grounding problem, could be the issue.

I have a 1968 dodge dart GT , does anyone know what amp fuses and what order they go in

I have a 1968 dodge dart GT , does anyone know what amp fuses and what order they go in

This is from the 1969 SM, not certain it's the same for 68'

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 12.19.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 12.23.00 PM.png

Last edited:
Check your fuses. They can burn off inside the cap where you can’t see it.
Yes. Happened to the blower fuse in our 1970 Matador wagon long ago. My dad pulled out the fuse and it looked intact, so put it back and gave up (would be costly), so our family went years without AC in Florida. Finally, a guy at work told him the fuse wire can melt right inside the cap where you can't see it. Does so from heat at the contact due to corrosion, not excessive current draw, which can also melt the plastic fuse holder. He then installed a tiny circuit breaker which will reset and we had AC again. Dad refused to buy tools or fix things correctly, relying on scotch tape and epoxy, which never worked.

-
Back