internet scams how to avoid??

-

VDART

Reaction score
As some of you know I'm trying to sell a 64 valiant--i put the ad on a couple of cl locations-- Bam-- instant hits- of I will buy the car site unseen what is your email?
Today i get a text-- have texted back/forth -- seems fishy wants to paypal no other means to pay, I told them to call me & we can discuss..

anyone have a way top weed these scams out -- or is it just the times we live in & if you let your guard down something of yours will be misused.
Anyone have suggestions to limit the scams or is it just beware. & what is it wanting my email address --what are they doing with them? thanks Lawrence

Cash on the barrel head when he comes to pick it up. Cash never bounces (unless it's counterfeit).

Your correct Lawrence, it's a scam. The older versions entailed you getting a check for your sale, but over the sale price, where you "send them back the difference."

Safeguard: I've seem some guys make you reply back to the Ad with certain keywords in the subject line, to verify your human.

I was selling a car a couple years back on CL, got a text with someone "interested." I could tell straight away it was a scam, and messed with the person a bit. I told them to come on down and check out the car, that they needed to drive it first as all 4 wheels tend to fall off the car going down the road. They replied that that didn't concern them and that they wanted to send me a check.

When I was selling my son's 04 GTO, I placed a craigslist ad.

Nothing for a couple of weeks, then I renew the ad, and a few days later get a few replies.

One guy 2k short of my asking price, another 3k short, and another 4k.

I reply to them all that the car is for sale. the 4k guy then gives me this rude email: "What's your bottom line I have another one to look at today?"

I tell him that my price is within reasonable asking price and I would like to get close to that.

Meanwhile 2k guys seems interested. I tell him my bottom line. He asks if I could go lower. I reply, "Come look at the car first, then we can talk. See it for yourself it's a nice car (less than 36k original miles). He comes out a couple of days later to see it on Sunday.

My youngest son and I washed the GTO and were doing another one of our cars when he pulled up. We had the GTO looking good, washed, armor all on the tires, and polished the rims.

The guy gets out of his car and immediately says, "I'll take it. This is the nicest one that I've looked at, and I've been looking for a year. I have submitted the paperwork to my bank and the loan will clear on Wednesday. I have $2500 cash right now, how much deposit do you want to hold it until I can come back on Wed? Do you want a cashier's check or cash?"

I told him that I would accept a $1000 non-refundable cash deposit. (If he wants to give me $1000 and walk away from the deal, that's ok with me....) :D

He gave me the deposit, and returned on Wednesday with cash to pick it up. :glasses7:

I got some replies from my ad where they would send me a link to a cheaper one or tell me that there is another one cheaper than mine. I just told them to go buy that one, because mine's better and I know it. Come look at it if you don't think it's worth it.

Offering 10%-20% off of reasonable asking price is acceptable, but trying to get off with a 50% offer is offensive... :finga:

Everybody's out to get something for nothing now days... :protest:

If they are serious, they will leave a deposit.

Speaking of being serious and leaving a deposit....

About 4 years ago I was selling my old beat up Chevy pick up. Listed it on Craigslist for $1700. My friend Craig brought his friend Todd over to look at it and I didn't hear back.

I get a reply from a young guy in his early 20's from middle Indiana who wants to come look at it. He comes out and test drives it, telling me that my 4x4 isn't engaging and it's common with these Chevy trucks. I take him to test it in a non plowed forest preserve parking lot, and don't feel anything wrong.

He says that he's interested in it and what my bottom line was. I said I wanted $1300. He mentioned that he was a vet in our earlier conversation and offered me $1200, so I considered his military service and took the offer. He then said that he would come back Wed/Thur to buy it.

Meanwhile I mention to Craig that I have a buyer for the truck and told him the offer, and he says that his friend Todd wanted it, especially at that price (I told Todd $1300 when he looked at it).

Wed comes and I get a call from the Indiana guy who is giving me the old "I have $1200 right now, but by the time I drive all the way there and drive both trucks home, I will need $100 of that for gas money, will you take $1100?"

I said, "No, we agreed on $1200."

He says that he will need to scrape some more up and come out Thur morning.

I tell Craig what's going on, and Craig calls me back a few minutes later saying, "Todd and I will be there to pick it up first thing tomorrow morning."

I tell Craig that the other guy is supposed to come. Craig says, "Screw him, he tried to renegotiate the deal. We'll be there first." (Plus I've known Craig since I was 4 years old)

So I call Indiana guy back and tell him that the truck is sold. He then tries to pull the old, "We had a deal, you can't sell it to someone else..."

I reply, "We HAD a deal until YOU tried to renegotiate again. That cancelled the first deal. And besides if you were so interested in it, you should have put a deposit down. You kept trying to beat me down in price. First one here with the ca$h wins... You loose..."

I didn't feel bad about sending him packing after he insulted me trying to claim my transfer case was shot. It wasn't. Todd bought it at 7:00 AM that Thur morning CA$H, and then used it for 2 1/2 years for his snow plowing business. The four wheel drive worked no problem and never broke on him. He fixed up the body damage and sold it a few years later for $5000...

Sometimes you attract the "bottom feeders" on craigslist.... that's the way it goes, you just have to deal with them accordingly....

As Pateras said be cautious of the over payment scam and keep in mind that certified checks and cashiers checks can be phony too. An example is : I was selling a BSA motorcycle and we agreed over the phone on a price,a date of pickup and an assistant was to transport. Long story short, certified check came with over payment (secretary made a mistake) just go ahead and deposit and give the overage to his pickup guy (after taking out $100 for my troubles). The pickup guy showed up a week early insisting on getting the bike and title and the extra money. After punching him out and threatening to call the police he left and never heard from them again and of course the check was bogus.

I've been buy busted up Motocross bikes since we arrive in country almost 2 years ago to make some $$ ( To buy the duster since done that) but usually find if it comes across a little suspect when they text you asking for your bottom $$$ just add a few thousand or more pending on the price you are asking as their english is so bad and they send out so many texts trying catch someone out they normally agree to the price. the other thing I do is call them back if they only text fake ones normally go straight to a message that tells you it came from a PC app.

As Pateras said be cautious of the over payment scam and keep in mind that certified checks and cashiers checks can be phony too. An example is : I was selling a BSA motorcycle and we agreed over the phone on a price,a date of pickup and an assistant was to transport. Long story short, certified check came with over payment (secretary made a mistake) just go ahead and deposit and give the overage to his pickup guy (after taking out $100 for my troubles). The pickup guy showed up a week early insisting on getting the bike and title and the extra money. After punching him out and threatening to call the police he left and never heard from them again and of course the check was bogus.

the fake check normally comes from a bank way outa state so by the time you are paid then bank sends it to the issuing bank only to find it's fake your outa pocket.

As Pateras said be cautious of the over payment scam and keep in mind that certified checks and cashiers checks can be phony too.

I had to get some trees removed from my lot one time. the tree guy came and I paid him part cash, and majority of the balance in a cashier's check from my bank.

He got half of the trees cut up, and said that his chain was dull and he would be back tomorrow to finish. He never showed up.

I called my banker and told her that he stiffed me. He hadn't cashed the check, so she put a stop payment on it so he couldn't.

Certified checks can also be pulled back/cancelled....

Postal money orders too....

If you loose a postal money order, you can go to the post office with the receipt and money order #, if it hasn't been cashed, they will cancel it and issue a new one. This has been done for me when the original was lost in the mail (with tracking no less....).

You just have to be careful and do what you can to keep from being scammed.

I found a 66 barracuda on Craigslist in Wisconsin and I live in Virginia. This was last June.

The guy didn't have a phone number or email in his ad so I replied through Craigslist reply. We went back and forth over email a bunch...probably 3 weeks! I was being careful and the seller was being careful also. Finally, I asked for his phone number so I could call him. We talked on the phone a couple of times and I paid for an inspector to go out and inspect the car. It cost something like $200 but it made me feel better knowing the car was there.

So, I finally scheduled a trip up to see it but asked the seller to me at a Burger King with the car. We met, I drove the car and wanted it.

Before I left for the trip I asked my bank the best way to do the transaction. I bank at Wells Fargo and there is a branch where I bought the car so they recommended I "order" the cash I needed so it will be available. So after I decided to buy it, I made arrangements to meet the seller at the bank. We swapped title and keys for money and the transaction was done!

Then the seller took me on a tour of the city, we had a lunch and few drinks! We still communicate back and forth.

Meeting at a bank is the ONLY way in this day and age I would make a transaction of thousands of dollars. It's too bad we have to be like that but I value my life!!!!

Meeting at a bank is the ONLY way in this day and age I would make a transaction of thousands of dollars. It's too bad we have to be like that but I value my life!!!!

Conceal/Carry.... :glasses7:

Conceal/Carry.... :glasses7:

Yep KrazyKuda, do that too!!!!

Key to avoiding scams is communication. Get them on the phone for sure.

When you, KrazyKuda, were selling your pickup. You talked with the guy several times, and communicated every step. It's when someone won't talk on the phone and just wants to send you a check...money order...bank check, blah, blah, blah that you have to wonder if they're legit.

At least from my experience, once you have the funds deposited into paypal they cannot get it back unless you authorize it. That is the point of pay pal to avoid scams. Never had a fishing scam artist try to pay me through paypal. They always want to deposit a larger sum in your bank account and then have you refund the difference before their check bounces.

At least from my experience, once you have the funds deposited into paypal they cannot get it back unless you authorize it. That is the point of pay pal to avoid scams. Never had a fishing scam artist try to pay me through paypal. They always want to deposit a larger sum in your bank account and then have you refund the difference before their check bounces.

Nope..

The only way to do paypal is have it in your account, then move it to another account right away. Withdraw from the other account leaving zero in the account the original payment hit.

Paypal can and will freeze or take money out of an existing balance to address a dispute.

With the current technology when people pick stuff up, I take a pic of them. If it's a car/title, I get ID from them and write it down.

nope..

The only way to do paypal is have it in your account, then move it to another account right away. Withdraw from the other account leaving zero in the account the original payment hit.

Paypal can and will freeze or take money out of an existing balance to address a dispute.

With the current technology when people pick stuff up, i take a pic of them. If it's a car/title, i get id from them and write it down.

yep!!!!

anyone know why they want my email address? so far I just reply the same method they contacted me--- I will not give any more info out- it is just sad

I wonder if I could set-up a temporary paypal account so nothing i have is ties to it & with draw immediately !! Lawrence

this is just crazy I'm getting 2 to 3 messages a day from scammers off of craiglsist, they have it all --swith there answers but not a one can call but there shipped can pick up-- I've probably ruined a few legit msgs because so many sound the same?

What can happen with giving out my email address? what are they wanting it for -- this seems more important now that the item for sale?

Anyone know what the scam is in my email? thanks Lawrence

this is just crazy I'm getting 2 to 3 messages a day from scammers off of craiglsist, they have it all --swith there answers but not a one can call but there shipped can pick up-- I've probably ruined a few legit msgs because so many sound the same?

What can happen with giving out my email address? what are they wanting it for -- this seems more important now that the item for sale?

Anyone know what the scam is in my email? thanks Lawrence

If they send you email with hidden/maiicious links and you open them, they can take over your computer and use it to spam others, and so on, and so on....

That way their evil doings can't be traced back to their IP Address.... :twisted:

so the whole paypal angle is nothing more that they will send me a link wanting to complete the transaction which plants the virus in my computer?

same deal do not click links.. man what a shame-- on a plus note an actual call came & we are working out a deal!!

Wrong if they go to the bank the following day they can stop the money from being transfered to Paypal and the money will be taken back from you. The only way I would release a car through Paypal is make them wait 7 days after the transaction. If they want it sooner have them wire it Western Union as the safest way to receive money and not be scammed.

-
Back