Is 426ci 360 a small block?

-
I cannot say for sure, but I think the next birthday will make it 70.

Got the engine back on the dyno today. The crank scraper/windage tray trick was worth 8 peak horsepower. We now stand at 611 horsepower @ 6,300 rpm and it will carry 600 hp from 6,100 to 6,600 rpm where we shut it off. Three pulls made 610, 611, 611.

Man I wish we had better heads.

Wait! Was that an echo?

Got the engine back on the dyno today. The crank scraper/windage tray trick was worth 8 peak horsepower. We now stand at 611 horsepower @ 6,300 rpm and it will carry 600 hp from 6,100 to 6,600 rpm where we shut it off. Three pulls made 610, 611, 611.

Wait! Was that an echo?
Try those E3 plugs?

Wait! Was that an echo?

Are you gunna do what i think your gunna do?!?!?! BPE heads??
Did you fix the timing issue with the full advance also with these pulls?

Try those E3 plugs?
After a series of pulls with the E3 plugs there was no gain in peak horsepower. There was an average gain of 2.5 lb-ft of torque and 2 hp in the 3,000-6,000 rpm range. I have not been checking the averages above 6,000 rpm.

Are you gunna do what i think your gunna do?!?!?! BPE heads??
Did you fix the timing issue with the full advance also with these pulls?

What about the victor sb heads ?

The timing issue has not been resolved, we are still working on that.

There is no time to try other heads on this engine. It has to be in the car within the next two weeks and on its way to the grand opening of a new 1/8 mile drag strip here in Idaho. Then if I understand correctly, it's on its way to some slalom racing in South Dakota.

Aw shucks, 8 HP gain was peak to peak. Did I forget to mention that there were places in the 6,000-6,600 rpm range that it gained 14 HP? I shoulda' remembered to tell you about that!

Pulling it off the dyno. Two best runs today, 618 & 620 horsepower.

Where did it pick up an extra 10hp?!
It was a combination of changing from 1.5 to 1.6 rockers and valve lash changes. This engine is just plain out of cylinder head. We gained about 6 horsepower peak from the rockers and the rest with valve lash. I can vary the torque some 20 lb-ft down low with valve lash but only gain a few horsepower up top.

Outstanding!! Just curious.. do you think it would crest 650hp with a set of well built W-2's?

Outstanding!! Just curious.. do you think it would crest 650hp with a set of well built W-2's?
I cannot say. I think I haven't had my hands on set of W-2 heads since about 1980 when Dad was building his NASCAR engines. The last I remember, his 357/340 was at 610 HP with the W-2 heads.

Last edited:
Jim.... how do you think the street manners would be with no power steering .. manual brakes and a 4 speed ?... what is idle like ? THanks

Jim.... how do you think the street manners would be with no power steering .. manual brakes and a 4 speed ?... what is idle like ? THanks
It was made for the street. It idles cleanly at 800 rpm but likes it better at 1,000-1,200 rpm.

Don't that beat all. We didn't have full throttle for the last day on the dyno. Now I'm just going to wonder what may have been, 'cause it's not going back on to see what that little difference may have made.

knocking on the door of 630 HP ? if you had full throttle.... at what RPM ?

Don't that beat all. We didn't have full throttle for the last day on the dyno. Now I'm just going to wonder what may have been, 'cause it's not going back on to see what that little difference may have made.

You must be using SF's hydraulic/water actuator. I ditched that problematic system and went to push/pull cable and haven't looked back. Nice job BTW that is big power to be sure. J.Rob

knocking on the door of 630 HP ? if you had full throttle.... at what RPM ?

The horsepower? We'll never know.

It's not a high winder with the lack of cylinder head cross section, so 6,300 rpm.

You must be using SF's hydraulic/water actuator. I ditched that problematic system and went to push/pull cable and haven't looked back. Nice job BTW that is big power to be sure. J.Rob

Hydraulic/water actuator, exactly. And thank you.

I didn't get to drive it, because I was surfacing a flywheel at the time, so Cody took it out. 25.5" P245 55R15 M/H Racemaster tire, 3.91 gear, 3,500 stall and a forward shift manual valve body. He says he can leave it 3rd, pull away from a stop and drive it without bothering to shift.

1.455 HP per cube? That sounds like a great street engine to me! Very nice work IQ52. I always enjoy seeing yourself and RAMM and others share their insights. Give's us average joes an idea of where to go with an engine.

I'm curious if you got that timing sorted? And has it made a run down the new 1/8 mile track yet? I'm curious to see what kind ET/MPH it pulls.

1.455 HP per cube? That sounds like a great street engine to me! Very nice work IQ52. I always enjoy seeing yourself and RAMM and others share their insights. Give's us average joes an idea of where to go with an engine.

I'm curious if you got that timing sorted? And has it made a run down the new 1/8 mile track yet? I'm curious to see what kind ET/MPH it pulls.
Locking the distributor did nothing for me and I couldn't set the timing with the new ignition box because my laptop didn't have the required operating system on it.

I don't think they will let him run the car. No time to replace the drivers side cardboard rear seat window with a glass window. There is no driveshaft loop. It's going to need a certified cage.

-
Back