Is 426ci 360 a small block?

-
I had 40 plus pulls to 6,600-6,700 rpm. Less than 24 hours later he bends a valve.

I told him, "This will rev faster and pull harder than you can believe. It won't stop winding and you don't have a rev limiter. You are the rev limiter at this point."

It leaves at 2% leakdown and comes back at 55% leakdown.

It won't leave here again with a right foot as a rev limiter.

I had 40 plus pulls to 6,600-6,700 rpm. Less than 24 hours later he bends a valve.

I told him, "This will rev faster and pull harder than you can believe. It won't stop winding and you don't have a rev limiter. You are the rev limiter at this point."

Bless your heart Jim for being so honest and sharing this. Very reassuring to know that I am not the only one that has some bad weeks. I hope you charge him properly so he learns his lesson and remembers it. J.Rob

p.s. Even rev-limiters don't work when downshifting into the wrong gear @ speed. J.Rob

Damn that's the *****.

This is the third time I've reworked this engine. the cylinder heads have been the problem each time. I'll not use the Speedmaster/ProComp heads again.

The first time the head problem reared it's ugly head was when the engine began to smoke after installation. We drove 600 miles one way to the car to do a compression and leakdown test. All good, but plugs oily. Pulled the intake manifold and found oil leaking into the intake port from a bolt hole sleeve we had to use to correct a casting shift found during porting. Drove the 600 miles back to the shop and ported another head, loaded it up and drove the 600 miles back to the car and installed the new head and drove 600 miles back home. All on our dime.

Better but it never fixed all the oil smoke.

We told the owner we needed to find out why it was still smoking and he drove/raced it around for 2 years and then brought it to the shop for us to remove and tear down. Found the other head had a hole in the rocker shaft bolt hole. Tore the engine down and reringed it and installed the iron heads, fiddled with it and made 620 HP, all on our dime again!

Bent valve? The owner is a heck of a nice guy, but I ain't paying this time.

This is the third time I've reworked this engine. the cylinder heads have been the problem each time. I'll not use the Speedmaster/ProComp heads again.

The first time the head problem reared it's ugly head was when the engine began to smoke after installation. We drove 600 miles one way to the car to do a compression and leakdown test. All good, but plugs oily. Pulled the intake manifold and found oil leaking into the intake port from a bolt hole sleeve we had to use to correct a casting shift found during porting. Drove the 600 miles back to the shop and ported another head, loaded it up and drove the 600 miles back to the car and installed the new head and drove 600 miles back home. All on our dime.

Better but it never fixed all the oil smoke.

We told the owner we needed to find out why it was still smoking and he drove/raced it around for 2 years and then brought it to the shop for us to remove and tear down. Found the other head had a hole in the rocker shaft bolt hole. Tore the engine down and reringed it and installed the iron heads, fiddled with it and made 620 HP, all on our dime again!

Bent valve? The owner is a heck of a nice guy, but I ain't paying this time.

Again thanks for your honesty. Truth be told I'm going through something similar here with the 416 I re-ringed in the thread title 416 The Road to redemption. That engine came to me for excessive oil consumption and I thought I had found the issue with the wrong rings. I now have the engine back and am going to throughly test the cylinder heads because I suspect the oil passage that feeds the rockers has been compromised by the previous porting. So you are definately not alone--the joys of engine building. J.Rob

Ah so, back together and on the dyno. The engine seems to like the crank trigger and I'm guessing the engine just doesn't like the Super Victor intake until 4,000 rpm. But after that, 629 HP @ 6,400 rpm where we shut it off.

Donny B Rebuild 007.jpg

Last edited:
2010 Mopar Nats and Chenoweth contest engine 037.jpg
The rocker system while on the 273. We just reused it on the 424/360........

View attachment 1715115094 The rocker system while on the 273. We just reused it on the 424/360........
Just so I'm clear on what was done here
You made 625 hp on the rhs/indy iron heads without moving the pushrod ??
Has your costumer Ever mentioned what the car ran at the track
I understand that there are certainly better heads to choose and after the expensive solid roller cam valve train
Components needed the smart money would spend a little more on a larger head
But that is pretty cool to see actually amazing and I don't use that word much
Thanks for sharing

Just so I'm clear on what was done here
You made 625 hp on the rhs/indy iron heads without moving the pushrod ??
Has your costumer Ever mentioned what the car ran at the track
I understand that there are certainly better heads to choose and after the expensive solid roller cam valve train
Components needed the smart money would spend a little more on a larger head
But that is pretty cool to see actually amazing and I don't use that word much
Thanks for sharing
Yep, didn't move the pushrod. Made the pushrod hole smaller (see page 2) so I could grind more of the pinch. If I ever did it again I would move the pushrod hole over and grind some more.

Owner is a street and slalom racer. He gave me a ride in it. When he nails it your ears meet at the back of your head, your lips mash back against your teeth and the corners of your mouth stretch back to where your ears used to be. Never felt anything accelerate like it does.

That kinda power from a stock port
Is hard to grasp
Makes me feel a little better about using these on mine

IQ - if you were to get a set of these RHS heads, what would it cost to have you set them up just like this build's? Complete with rockers and girdles?

That kinda power from a stock port
Is hard to grasp
Makes me feel a little better about using these on mine

Stock port.....that's kinda funny.

IQ - if you were to get a set of these RHS heads, what would it cost to have you set them up just like this build's? Complete with rockers and girdles?

It's a one off, no one has made anything like it. And I know how to make them even better, so I would change them around some, but still use the Chevy rocker system. I have tested this system to excess of 8,000 rpm.

Like I said here in post #21.............
Max horsepower with EQ heads?
..........I wouldn't reproduce this system for less than $10,000. To me it wouldn't be worth my time for less.

Stock port.....that's kinda funny.

It's a one off, no one has made anything like it. And I know how to make them even better, so I would change them around some, but still use the Chevy rocker system. I have tested this system to excess of 8,000 rpm.

Like I said here in post #21.............
Max horsepower with EQ heads?
..........I wouldn't reproduce this system for less than $10,000. To me it wouldn't be worth my time for less.

I agree. That's why I rarely recommend those heads on something that needs to make big numbers. I tend to get beat up for that but I feel better knowing it's a return on investment nightmare to make them really work on such an engine.

Oh yeah, the cam specs. Solid roller, 258/260 @ .050", .020"/.020" lash hot, .425"/.430" lobe lift, 110 LSA, 107 ICL.

I agree. That's why I rarely recommend those heads on something that needs to make big numbers. I tend to get beat up for that but I feel better knowing it's a return on investment nightmare to make them really work on such an engine.
You're absolutely correct. The LAX/MAX head was designed to be a street replacement head, just like the EQ heads are. The only reason I bought the LAX heads in the first place was because they were the spec'd head for the dyno contest we were entering in 2010.

and note the small difference in intake and exhaust duration
10+ degree difference is so obsolete with most builds today
now look at most of the catalog/ shelf cams and pass

Crap, I can't build an engine. Word comes back the engine is a little sick. It lost some oil pressure. I guess there was a little dice with a Dodge Charger Hellcat out across South Dakota for about 10 minutes at 130 mph or so. Let's see......3.91 gears, 25" tire, say 5% converter slip.....So that would be about 7,200 rpm for 10 minutes on the 6,200 redline I requested. Can't say I'm sorry about getting out of the business.

Crap, I can't build an engine. Word comes back the engine is a little sick. It lost some oil pressure. I guess there was a little dice with a Dodge Charger Hellcat out across South Dakota for about 10 minutes at 130 mph or so. Let's see......3.91 gears, 25" tire, say 5% converter slip.....So that would be about 7,200 rpm for 10 minutes on the 6,200 redline I requested. Can't say I'm sorry about getting out of the business.

Can't say as I blame you. It's a thankless deal, and everyone knows how to build an engine via the web and YouTube.

Then you have end users who abuse **** past what normal limits and then lie to you about what happened. You know, **** like...it never made a sound. And then I say...so the crank is half in the pan, the front two cylinders are pretty much seperated from the block and it never made sound other than the sonic BOOOOOOOOOM when it died a horrible death. Nope, not a sound.

Glad I'm retired.

There is guy claiming to twist his 426 to 8k . Hmmm and for how long

I'M SURE YOU'LL BEAT ME 520 HP 560 TQ WITH A LITTLE AIR CRAP INTAKE

how is it your fault that a jackass is behind the wheel 3:91 25" tire and he expects it to last , probably used 10.00 oil as well , what a maroon

-
Back