Is a GMC truck just a dressed up Chevy truck?

-
I get tired explaining to guys that the GMCs come down the line they split from the line and go up to the next level where the atmosphere totally changes, with classical music played, the employees are standing on red carpet. Champaign dispensers are located through out, and crates of lockwashers everywhere.

:lol:
This is quite similar to the explanation I got from a good friend who was a GM Sales Manager for many years:
"They all start down the line as 'GMC' but if something fucks up along the way, they just stick a bowtie on them"

RIP Gerry

This is quite similar to the explanation I got from a good friend who was a GM Sales Manager for many years:
"They all start down the line as 'GMC' but if something fucks up along the way, they just stick a bowtie on them"

RIP Gerry
I bought new my 2000 GMC 3500 duelie for a rig truck still in service. The plastic caps on the rear melted cause of mud packed between the rims. A guy gave me 4 simulators with chevy caps, I put the chevy caps on the back, still have the gmc caps on the front. When guys rib me about it, I just tell them that when GMCs get over 10 years old they start turning into Chevrolets, most scoff at that, :rolleyes:some laugh :lol:

Pontiac had a 301
What a turd that was. They took the already weak Pontiac block and lightened it, reducing the durability even more.
The Turbo 301 was even worse. 210 HP from a turbo V8 is pathetic but they were up against the wall trying to make power without blowing it up and incurring a red wave of warranty service costs.
There may have been some 305 chevy engines in the 1980 and 81 Firebirds but I'm not sure.

What a turd that was. They took the already weak Pontiac block and lightened it, reducing the durability even more.
The Turbo 301 was even worse. 210 HP from a turbo V8 is pathetic but they were up against the wall trying to make power without blowing it up and incurring a red wave of warranty service costs.
There may have been some 305 chevy engines in the 1980 and 81 Firebirds but I'm not sure.
I have seen a few, though can't say if they were original or transplants. It was pretty common to shitcan the 301 and drop a sbc in its place

If it wasn't for the ex forcing sale I'd still have Black/Grey GMC 1 Ton 4x4, 454, 4.11's. 11 MPG uphill or down. Era of the 454SS. That truck rocked !
Your truck, or the 454SS? The SS wasn't as fast as the Little Red Express, and I smoked one at Keystone Raceway in '92 with My '88 ShelbyZ, and that was not on the best tires.

As earlier drafted.
GMC 1 Ton, 454, 4.11's naturally front and rear, Turbo 400. Not SS Truck but the SOB WAS One Helluva Truck.

Nuff said.

In the 70s my boss bought us a new work van. He was cheap. 250 straight 6 3 ok on tree, heat no radio. No power anything. Was Chevy Van but said GMC on the back. So must have been on same assembly line and got wrong name plate.

Your truck, or the 454SS? The SS wasn't as fast as the Little Red Express, and I smoked one at Keystone Raceway in '92 with My '88 ShelbyZ, and that was not on the best tires.
The 454 SS of the early 90s was a turd. The same year Ford Lightning has a 351 and it was faster. The Chevy had a torquey truck engine that had a torque peak around 1600-1700 rpms and a HP peak well under 4000 rpms. Great for towing, bad for acceleration.

Issue 1- I went out with a girl twice that looked just like Heather Thomas but had a much smaller top end (no complaints at all, though).
Kinda funny because I was 15 and she was 17. I saw her again about 4 years later and she had turned into a complete ***** (lots of complaints, then).

Issue 2- (not really related, but a fun story) I personally witnessed an entire fleet of isuzu uniform service trucks get rebadged as chevrolets because the "buy American" chatter had gotten a traction boost around 1992. A guy went around and popped off the badge on the cab, replaced it with a bow tie, scraped the decal off the door, and replaced the horn button. On about 35 trucks at that facility. He told me they were doing it nation-wide.

I was always under the impression that a GMC truck was just a dressed-up Chevy truck. So my question is that if that is true, what is the allure? They cost quite a bit more to start with. I am not trying to be snarky; I am really curious.
I don't know, Pop ordered His new '76 with an 8ft. Stepside box, to be replaced with the just-discontinued stake-bed, no radio, no A/C, 350-4bbl, 4spd., 3/4ton 4×4. Hardly some luxo-level tonka-toy, lol..

Said GMC circa '92 I believe..
20230217_151256.jpg

A GMC dealer told me that they came with more spot welds and stronger seat materials! LOL

Tell me this don't make ya drool!!....

Last edited:
It's a GMC and a V6 but that Beotch is nice!

During the 67 to 72 year span, the Chevrolet trucks had coil rear suspension and GMC had leaf spring rear suspension.
Im working on a 69 GMC and it has coils. Definetly stock. I will say, they ride better than leaf spring trucks.

-
Back