Is it a Special 360 ?

-
You know it strikes me that with such a huge membership, there ought to be a way of getting a few of them together to build/rebuild/reconstruct/etc, shells.
A dream, I know................................

You know it strikes me that with such a huge membership, there ought to be a way of getting a few of them together to build/rebuild/reconstruct/etc, shells.
A dream, I know................................
I have to get this car put together it is my Daughters car ! Had to put it on the back burner due to job change......LOL ! but all is good now and getting back to it slowly.

while talking 360 here, It has always intrigued me reading of what path the 360 would have taken from the factory if the musclecar deal wasn't running out. and how so many people only see the 340 as the performance SB!?
try finding a 340 that is not wore out. long as I have A bodies my stach of 360 will sit in the garage. last 2 GOOD 360's I got, complete long blocks, cost me a total of $50. NOW if I can find a stroker kit for $50!!!!! ha

while talking 360 here, It has always intrigued me reading of what path the 360 would have taken from the factory if the musclecar deal wasn't running out. and how so many people only see the 340 as the performance SB!?
try finding a 340 that is not wore out. long as I have A bodies my stach of 360 will sit in the garage. last 2 GOOD 360's I got, complete long blocks, cost me a total of $50. NOW if I can find a stroker kit for $50!!!!! ha
"There is no substitute for cubic inches" (Grumpy Jenkins)

I think someone here did a "What If?" 360 engine. Same parts as the 340. But with the better parts over the stock 360. AKA, pistons and rings for more compression. A non emmisions TQ intake and carb. Etc....

I always love it when I tell someone I have a 360 in my Toad and they say, "The 360 is a truck engine! Those don't make any power!"

engine bay 4-12-2016.jpg

Or it's A dog motor, worthless.

The combo package AdamR listed, I spoke with the actual person who did the packages at length. It's accurate. Of course, your results may vary due to machining, actual parts used and dyno operator & dyno machine.

Truly as mentioned over and over in this thread that the way to a trouble free operation is starting with a well built engine and not using wild parts and mismatched components.

The combo package AdamR listed, I spoke with the actual person who did the packages at length. It's accurate. Of course, your results may vary due to machining, actual parts used and dyno operator & dyno machine.

Truly as mentioned over and over in this thread that the way to a trouble free operation is starting with a well built engine and not using wild parts and mismatched components.
OK, here is another question. I have an old 360 Dual plane

OK ! response has been great, so here is another question. This 360 is going into my daughters '65 Barracuda. At this point it has an "unknown" hot 273 commando engine that came with the car when I bought this basket case. I would like to build a "Nice" 360 that I know about, that she and I both can enjoy. I already have Dougs headers with x pipe and low restriction mufflers, Offenhauser 360 Dual Port Intake and custom built DUI ignition system. I "Think" all I want to do is a stock rebuild on the 360 with a multi angle valve job, bowl work and springs and port match the intake and heads. A small cam would be great but I am lost on Mopar small blocks. I would like a small exhaust note like a comp cams 268 in a stock compression chevy 350. Maybe a stock 340 Cam ? I don't want to leave anything on the table that is obvious to you mopar guys that I would miss. She wants a Mopar so Daddy is trying to get her one ! I need things I can do (Low $) that can make a difference. Thanks !

I myself would do the following;
(Based in your description in your post.)

Take the Offenhauser intake and cut it up. Use it as fishing weights. Even the OE intake is better IMO than the dual port. The Edelbrock Performer is approx. the same performance as the OE intake.

For an excellent all around intake, my vote based on actual useage is the Edelbrock RPM or the air gap RPM. The air gap just takes some time to warm up in cold weather and if it gets really cold, it can be a cranky intake. So the regular RPM would be it for year round use.

When rebuilding the engine, I would look at ether the Sealed Power Hyperutecic H116CP piston and ring package. It works out cheaper than separate purchases of each part. They come with a coated skirt, zero deckable and have generous valve reliefs for big lift cams should you go there in the future. Do not zero deck the piston with iron heads and small cams such as the 268 you mentioned.

Do the math and achieve a compression ratio of NO more than 9.5-1.

Speaking of cams, that XE268 is a most excellent street cam. IMO, do not use the OE 340 cam. The upgraded performance version is a nice one with the similar advertised duration and lift as the OE cam but is a larger one when you look at the duration @ .050 numbers. It is also a very good performer.

The head work you describe is a great step in the right direction performance wise. Opinions vary to OE head useage these days. I say go for it f the expense is reasonable. Also judge the performance abilty vs. a new head. There's nothing wrong with the OE head. It is just a cost vs. performance value that to many people split hairs on.
I just don't always buy into it.

Last edited:
The Sealed Power piston
And my RPM -AG power coated in Alien Silver my the Cudachick69, LeAnna.
Run the carb of your choice. Pictured below is a 750 AFB.
A 650 AVS style carb or same size Holley in your favorite style would work excellent with your intended set up.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The Sealed Power piston
And my RPM -AG power coated in Alien Silver my the Cudachick69, LeAnna.
Run the carb of your choice. Pictured below is a 750 AFB.
A 650 AVS style carb or same size Holley in your favorite style would work excellent with your intended set up.
View attachment 1714962126 View attachment 1714962129
That sounds very doable rumblefish360. I do think this is the direction I will go and thank you for taking time to post your info. I do think it is better to speak to someone who "has been there and done that" rather than say "I can do this" and go off half cocked. I will look into the Heads a little further as time will allow me. Thanks again to everyone ! Tim

Barbee6043 wrote: It has always intrigued me reading of what path the 360 would have taken from the factory if the musclecar deal wasn't running out.

Interesting discussion of the 360 at:

LA - Chrysler small block V8 engines

"According to engine leader Willem Weertman, the goal of the 360 was to replace the old B-series 361, providing something between the 318 and 383; but to do so at lower cost."

But I think that relatively modest power level only became the "goal" after the new smog regulations kicked in. Before that, I always understood that the Chrysler engineers had intended to develop an internally-balanced forged crank and to use the W-2 heads in the performance version of the 360.

I can't quote you chapter and verse on this, though. I just remember that the Mopar fanzines at the time (before the smog regs took effect) said something like this. They said that Mopar's intention was to kick the Chevy 350's butt really hard, since Mopar believed that GM would never go to the expense of developing heads that flowed as well as the W-2.

Last edited:

Actually mopar should have stuck the 3.58 crank in the 340 in 74...like you i got a stack of 360 blocks....including about 6 of the very early blocks...some called me and told me to come over and get 4 blocks around the 1st of the year....which included 2 standard bore 340s ...and 360s...

So I prefer to build 360s...cheaper...

The W2 was developed and produced as a race head. The old story of use on the 360 is a good one and a total bummer that It never made the truck or production.

rumblefish360 wrote: "The W2 was developed and produced as a race head."

Rumble, did Ma Mopar declare it to be a "race-only" head from the outset of its development, or only after the early-'70s smog regs kicked in?

I seem to remember that at first the W-2 was going to be a production option, and it was only when the smog regs took effect that it was declared to be "race-only", but I'm not sure. Does anybody remember this exactly?

Bill, it was developed as a race head and it was never intended to be a production head.

This rumor is amazingly still in circulation for the last 38 years!

It blows me away to be even asked this.
So I guess one more time typing this out can't hurt.... lmao!

The production rumor comes from the Chrysler engineers being turned down to use it as a production head (on the little red truck) and then sneaking it into the dyno room to see if it would pass emmisions on the 360.

It passed emmisions and made great power so well that those who were there couldn't keep there mouths shut. So when the bosses found out, they were pissed that the orders not to bother with the head were ignored so they killed the program idea dead in its tracks.

You said the motor is an '85. Plug the air pump holes in the exhaust. I ground down the bump in the port too. Also replaced the freeze plugs. Not to mention timing chain...cam..oil pump and pick up, car pan. Cleaned and painted.

-
Back