Is it possible to rebuild a brake booster ? Do they

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
sell repair kits or is it something that cannot be done by a back yard mechanic .
Thanks

I had the 7 inch booster rebuilt by Stewart,s in Stoney Creek,Ontario.This was for my 68 Barracuda and they got the parts(diaphram)from Cali.

Thanks , will give booster dewey a call tomorrow , will check stewarts as well . Guess the brakes are this years headache .

let me know if u dont find some one,, ill find out who did a friend of mines booster from a 64 polara,, cause there are none available in the rebuild circuit for a 64 polara,,,

If you get to taking it apart,, BE CAREFUL!!!

If memory serves me, there's a loaded spring in there, that'll throw you back, if you're not prepared.. If it's a "twist apart", I put one part in the vise, and drilled holes in a piece of plywood for the mounting holes and centre, then twisted the plywood to disengage the halves..

Definately get a manual, or perhaps some-one can post a link..

Booster Dewey rebuilt the booster for my 1969 340 Swinger - that was in 2000, and he did a great job - thing works great to this day!

If you get to taking it apart,, BE CAREFUL!!!

If memory serves me, there's a loaded spring in there, that'll throw you back, if you're not prepared.. If it's a "twist apart", I put one part in the vise, and drilled holes in a piece of plywood for the mounting holes and centre, then twisted the plywood to disengage the halves..

Definately get a manual, or perhaps some-one can post a link..

Bingo , that's what fiend said , hard to build without the tool . He put out lots of calls ,no luck . have a used one that ""might "" fit , will see tomorrow , what a great bunch of guys at this garage none in quebec one used in Ontario they really searched , this thing is as rare as hens teeth .
Will have to go the boosterdewey or Stewarts in Ontario route when I pull the old one off . What a pain !
One more question did the booster change in 72 up with the single piston caliper ?

I took the Midland-Ross booster (V-band clamp) apart from my 65 C-body. There is no spring that will hurt you and it is very simple inside. My diaphragm had a hole and hard rubber right where the vacuum attaches, so must have gotten gas fumes from the manifold, despite my installing an in-line filter for Mopar boosters. I didn't find any internal parts for sale, other than one input valve on ebay. Maybe Booster Dewey could be talked into selling a kit, but I figured with his rebuild prices, I'm too cheap a date.

I had a Midland-Ross booster from a 74 Dart that looked identical other than the stud spacings on the rear, so thought I'd just swap baseplates. I found the input pistons were different sizes and no way to swap parts to make it work. I ended up drilling new holes in my adapter plate (C-body) for the 74, then swapped it out when I found a correct booster/MC for only $70 on rockauto, though it was the other style (Bendix?, crimped together shell).

Before that, I got the bright idea to rebuild my 65 Booster without parts. I bought a roll of neoprene rubber sheet on ebay and cut a new diaphragm. However, the factory one is molded, so a little hard to make it fit. I forced it into the gap in the two spot-welded plates, w/ superglue and weatherstrip cement to secure it. I tested it under vacuum and it works, but didn't install on my car. It will be interesting to see know how long this Billy-fixed diaphragm will last if I ever install it.

I think it srange that no rebuilt parts are to be found. With the wide variety of parts available this is a gaping hole in the hobby!Some guys LIKE rebuilding thier own parts. Some guys dont trust another to get it right...

I had the 7 inch booster rebuilt by Stewart,s in Stoney Creek,Ontario.This was for my 68 Barracuda and they got the parts(diaphram)from Cali.
Thanks , booster and MC off to John Stuarts , expensive , but at least they can do the job . Will have SS sleeves put in the master , they say 4-6 years for a regular rebuild should last as long as the car with SS sleeves in it .
Thanks again, will be good to have solid brakes again.

I think it srange that no rebuilt parts are to be found. With the wide variety of parts available this is a gaping hole in the hobby!Some guys LIKE rebuilding thier own parts. Some guys dont trust another to get it right...
Strange is right , is the 1970-1972 340 booster MC different than the 318 booster MC with disc drum setup ? There are so many MC available , but non look exactly like the unit on my car , which is original .

-
Back