Is It This Bad Elsewhere? How Do People Drive Where You Live?

-
It's pretty laid back here where I live, hitting a deer is the biggest problem. Always having to pass farm tractors and Amish buggy's, somebody hit a black bear here on the Cumberland Pkwy last year, one got in my neighbors garbage. And now elk's are coming in this area, I'd hate to hit one of them!

I had to go out of town for my company and used I 81 and could not get off it gast enough. Too many tractor trailers bobbling in their lanes and guess why?? Being distracted with a cellphone while driving 80k of vehicle is not exactly something I want to be a part of. I just went about my way via a different route...

JW

Yes, cars have gotten "too safe".
It's the Volvo Syndrome.
55MPH?
Stupid people with no clue how fast 85 MPH is and bumper to bumper with no where to go.
NASCAR with bad drivers.

Things that may not have been covered.

1. The left lane on the interstate is for people that have decided to break the law.
I pretty much stay out of the left lane since I'm in a 40+ year old car anyway and run 60-70. I will get in it as necessary but I speed up to do it. And get out of it ASAP. That's where the wrecks happen.

2. This is a major truck hub. It's my understanding that 18 wheeled trucks are to stay in the right lane except to pass.
When I'm in the center lane doing the speed limit at 70 I will move over for trucks but not normally do I move for cars. They can pass on the right or left.
They have the left lane to speed in as far as I'm concerned. Trucks have destroyed the right lane many places and I see no need to ride in that lane.
The right lane for slow cars and merging use.

3. Why do trucks that can barely do 50 uphill run 85 down hill?
It really makes it hard to avoid them and stay out of their way in traffic.
Back and forth. Back and forth.

4. I go home at night and routinely I am passed by cars like I'm standing still at 70MPH.
Drug deals or what's going on?
Last week some kind SUV passed me on the right at over 90 and when he hit traffic ahead the SUV actually rose up in the front as he accelerated more to shoot gaps in the traffic. Mercedes maybe?
I'm not exaggerating.

5. Where are the cops?
I would like to see an unmarked pursuit cars running back and forth on the interstate.
Maybe the could catch the clowns before they shut down the interstate and ruin my trip.

6. One early AM last week there was a 7 vehicle wreck inbound during work traffic and shut down I 20.
Two big rigs and a flipped car is what the radio said.

5. Where are the cops?
I would like to see an unmarked pursuit cars running back and forth on the interstate.
We got 'em here for sure. Plenty of white Chargers with just a little antenna on top, some black Ford midsize SUV, and new my favorite: a blue 2018 F150!

Nope. I move over on the highway. I was talking about driving in the suburbs. If I'm doing 35 in 30 and someone flies up and tailgates the hell out of me. I'm in the wrong???

Around here if you exceed 5mph over in a "burb" you will eventually get a speeding ticket.

I dont like city driving.
I dont speed, leave a safe distance in front of me and let people in constantly.
My older brother is a frantic city driver and he hates my driving.
But. Maxed out my merits on my licence. Makes it worth it for insurance and licence renewal.

The bridge near my house is getting rebuilt,one lane at a time. Traffic signals control it.
Sensors in asphalt used to control it.
Simple, stop on sensors and lights turn in a few minutes.
Its not that hard.
No, stop short or drive through and stop. You will sit there until someone with a brain comes along and triggers the signal.

There is a big sign and a stripe painted.

I think the US should require schooling to get a drivers license like several places in Europe. In order to get a license you must demonstrate competency in knowledge and ability. Drivers should have some time and money invested in their privelage.
Many people I know are unaware of the simplest traffic laws. A guy I worked with was fully convinced that if you were turning right at a stop sign you didn't have to stop. Only if a sign said "right turn after stop". He argued until I showed him a state rule book. Then agreed that it was probably actually the law but he wasn't going to do it. Another time recently I went into a store and a young lady was excitedly and loudly telling the store employees that she had just been harrassed by a cop. He pulled her over to explain that when turning, you are supposed to turn into the nearest lane and not cross several to get to your lane of choice. She had never heard of that! He was obviously making something up to pull her over and bother her. Surprisingly the ones she was telling had not heard of it either. One of the group did say, "ya, I think I might have heard once that is what you're really supposed to do...".
I go to a gym where there are several young people who work out too. I constantly hear of these young people going for a drivers license and they say, "ya, I had to take the test three times to get enough right." "Ya, I didn't drive good enough so I have to go back to try again".
They just assume that you don't need to read the book and that it takes several tries to get enough questions correct. They don't even consider reading and studying.
Another guy at the gymn moved here from NYC a couple of years ago. He never had a car or drivers license in NYC because he didn't need a license to get around and owning a car where he lived was expensive. When he moved here he figured out that public transportation is non-existant and he would need a car. He did like the teeneagers and went down to take the test. Failed three times the first day and had to go back a second day to finally pass the written test. Then it took two tries to pass the driving part. He bought himself a car and surprisingly is a horrible driver. He has had at least three wrecks that I know of. One, he ran into the back of an ambulance. He has twin daughters and they are just turning sixteen. Guess who is giving them their driving education!

Glad you brought that up.

In OH turning into the far lane is strictly enforced. People don't do it.

In FL you can never be sure, as it seems it's 50/50.

I always was able to turn from the right lane to the right lane in OH while other traffic was turning left into the left lane, without fear of some yahoo turning while changing lanes into me.

Glad you brought that up.

In OH turning into the far lane is strictly enforced. People don't do it.

In FL you can never be sure, as it seems it's 50/50.

I always was able to turn from the right lane to the right lane in OH while other traffic was turning left into the left lane, without fear of some yahoo turning while changing lanes into me.

Exact opposite here. If I turn from left lane into left lane the driver across the street turning right will come over into my lane and honk at me and give me the old stink eye.

Come to Michigan Metro Detroit area the lap times at Michigan International Speedway are slower an SAFER,:wtf: And besides with all of the safety feature car makers are bragging about (50 STARS SAFETY rating):realcrazy: Todays up and coming drivers just have to start it up buckle up put it in gear and wood it!:steering:

Come to Michigan Metro Detroit area the lap times at Michigan International Speedway are slower an SAFER,:wtf: And besides with all of the safety feature car makers are bragging about (50 STARS SAFETY rating):realcrazy: Todays up and coming drivers just have to start it up buckle up put it in gear and wood it!:steering:
I agree been through there on the way to Ontario.

Section 40802(b):
defines where "radar or other electronic devices" can be used to determine speed -- in essence, either on "local streets and roads" or on highways where a traffic survey has been conducted within the last five years. I find that California police are very familiar with this law, and with the local traffic surveys. I contested a radar ticket several years ago, and found that I was on a stretch that had recently been surveyed. If I had been two miles further I would have beaten the ticket.

California law. The police can't enforce the posted speed limit by radar if the "usual traffic speed by monitoring is higher than the posted speed limit". Pretty much make speed limit signs a waste of aluminum and paint.

I love the poster on here that used the term "suggested speed limit".

-
Back