Is this a good combo for a 273 ?

-

cudabear67

Reaction score
I have a question. I got ahold of an edelbrock 600cfm performer 4 b carb with a D4B intake. Its for my 65 dart 273. Good combo? What are anyones thoughts ,advice, assistance, etc?

The D4B is for the 1964/5 only (different bolt angle on the heads) and was supposed to be a good upgrade. I had one that I never used and sold after it sat around a while. The edelbrock 600 CFM performer is very close to performance as the original formula S Carter AFB 3853/4 S. This should be a nice upgrade to the stock 2 bbl, but don't get too excited and expect a monster unless you do something about the cam.

Others on here may have some more advice that is more tried and tested.

Yes. Those old Edelbrocks are still pretty sought after. They do a good job.

To follow up on the 1st reply...... Is this engine presently a 2 bbl or 4 bbl engine? The end result will depend on how the engine is presently setup; the original 4 BBL cam will be able to work better with this than the 2 BBL cam. More breathing in the intake or exhaust is limited by what the cam will do. As an example, I once put a T-Bird 4 BBL manifold and 600 cfm carb on a Ford 292 truck engine, and the result was hardly noticeable. That very low performance truck cam is an extreme example and not quite what you have with a 273 2 BBL cam, but it shows how much the cam controls things.

its 2b system and I am considering cam and maybe headers that's about it. How much HP can I expect to gain w/ carb/intake upgrade? I found the d4b on ebay and got into a bidding war for it. I just thought it would be a nostalgic intake to put on my dart as it was specifically made for SB mopar and the carb was given to me. SO i figured I would put both on and see what happens. Any thoughts on linkage. rejetting, etc?

I have a D4B combined with Eddy 600 cfm. Works perfectly, but requires a larger cam. My choice was Comp Cams 20-246-4. Later I added domed pistons and headers. The power comes above 2500 rpm, where the car runs like a burnt rat.

-
Back