Is this a problem

-

downsr

Reaction score
I am working on 70 duster .I am working on the front suspension.When i put the outer tie rod through the lower ball joint the stud on the tie rod is at an angel when you draw the nut down it will pinch the boot.Anyone run into this problem or is this the way they are:banghead:

Is the upper A-arm bumper gone?
If everything is just hanging down I think it possible to pinch the boot. Try a jack under the LCA.

There is a limit to how much angle the ball stud in socket can achieve. I'm wondering if having the knuckles hanging at a very out of the norm' position would allow us to damage new parts during assembly. best bet is wait until its closer to within normal travel then do final tighten and cotter pining.

I tried aligning them but they are always at an angle.Tried it with all weight off the suspension (car jacked up) and with car sitting on ground.Thought maybe lbj was wrong but they are the correct and the tie rods are the same

As the saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words". Can you post a couple?

If you own a digital camera all you have to do is take some pics but make sure the camera setting is on JPEG so that the pics are small enough to load to this website. Down load the pics to your PC into a picture file/folder and give it a name like "FrontEndPics", then come back to this thread and when you post your next question go to the box below where you write your question and you'll see another area where it will have a button to push "upload photos". Once you click on "upload photos" you'll get another box where you can click on " browse". The browse button will ask you where (in your PC) you want take the pics from. So you do have to remember where the file/folder "FrontEndPics" is located on your PC. I usually put all my pics in the "Pictures" folder.

Treblig

take a cell phone pic, text it to your email , get on email on your computer,right click photo, save it to computer(put it in a new folder. When you go to post scroll down and hit add photos,browse for folder, click on picture and it adds it to the post. Hardest part is finding the picture on the puter if there is alot on it. I'm somewhat computer illiterate myself but this site is easy to post pics compared to some.

What brand are the parts you are using? Some of the cheapo stuff has some poorly designed boots. Can't ever recall having a good one that I could not get aligned and snugged without pinching the boot. Also, is the large opening on the boot properly seated on the joint? If not seated down right, then just about all of them wil lpinch.

BTW, since you are in Waverly, do you recall the Sunriser 400 rallies in that area? (You won't if you are a youngster...)

No i do not recall the rallies buy i am 57.These are moog parts from mancini racing.The stud on the tie rod is at an angle when it goes through the lower ball joint.I would think it would be straight up and down.Maybe that is the way they are.I can send someone a pic to there i phone and maybe they could post it for me

Try to send pic.I did it but it came out sideways oh well.See how it is slanted

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 245
What parts have you replaced.
If you are replacing tie rod ends, inners and/or outers, did you measure the old ones before removal?

The one in the picture appears too long as installed.

This picture is my Barracuda's right side tie rod from the rear. Suspension is at static position, full weight on the wheels.....................

Attachments

• TieRod.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 229
Try to send pic.I did it but it came out sideways oh well.See how it is slanted

One thing for sure is there is a lot of thread showing there.!

Wrong part or incorrect installation. Rotate your phone and take a pic showing both tie rod ends.

Definitely looks like wrong parts to me. The T-rod appears to not be offset correctly, And the BJ socket appears twisted. Does the T-rod fit the socket properly when out of the sleeve? Any chance youre mixing years?
- My 70 Duster parts look like Daves. Notice the offset rodend; how it drops down. Yours look like the 1973up style.
-Notice also how Daves are showing only about 5 or 6 threads. that looks more normal. If you shorten yours up, they might look better too.
-And when the wheels are hanging, it appears like that too. When you say pinch, Im wondering if you mean squeezed, cause when you tighten up the nut the boot will be squeezed in between. It will ride up/ down the tapered stud to find its home.

Counting turns off and then back on for basic wheel alignment when replacing rack ends only works if they are the same length to start with looks way to long to me. Oftern found with replacement parts as they can be generic for other models these days.

Could always put the weight on the tire or place a jack under the control arm to raise it and level out the alignment to the spindle. But I would definitely turn that rod end into the sleeve more.

You toe is WAY off. You should not have that many threads showing...Adjust the tie rods...

Ok, now the BJ/steering arm looks ok. But the angle going back to the drag link looks a bit steep, even if the suspension is at full droop.Is it possible that the pitman arm is wrong? Is the drag-link level from side to side?
-If for some reason you have cranked the T-bars up, or the engine is not in the car, that would account for the steep angle.
Heres what I would do; A) center the steering wheel and anchor it there, and B)shorten up the tierod assy until the wheel is pointing more or less straight ahead, and C) put the car on the ground at correct ride height, and re-adjust the tierod to put the wheel again straight ahead, and D) snap a new picture, more or less parallel to the floor, and include a portion of the sidewall for reference, and a second pic of the pitman arm, including a short section of the drag link. I understand that taking those pics might be difficult, so if you have some blocks maybe 6 or 8 inches high, you could put one under each wheel and snap a pic of that. The important thing is to have the car at or near the correct ride height.
-I usually reference from the lowest point of the K to what ever surface the wheels are on with full weight of the front end on them. This dimension, with 24inch tires usually falls around 6 inches +/- a half inch.
-When you are finished adjusting the tierod assy, both ends should have about the same number of threads showing.
-Maybe try to get a pic from the back, like the one in post#17; either side(drivers preferred). It shows a lot of reference points.

Clearly, you have taken these pictures with the weight off the suspension. Put the car on the ground, jounce the suspension a few times and take some more pictures. I bet it will be right then. The parts look like the correct pieces.

-
Back