Is this valve body different?

-

Cole Andews

Reaction score
I recently had a transmission failure and decided to rebuild my whole transmission, and now I'm starting the valve body. When I took the transfer plate off There was only 6 steel balls instead of 7 (circled in red is where I think it was missing) I don't know if there was a shift kit put in this transmission or not, and if that would change that. One of the larger balls also fell out and I figured that one went to the spring in the corner, I put it there for the picture.

I have also been using the ATSG book during this rebuild but for the valve body I switched back to my 1969 dart manual (figure 52) because it seemed more accurate. They show two different valve bodies with two different steel ball locations. However, I don't know the year of the transmission, and if there was a shift kit installed. How could I tell if it has a shift kit and should I get a ball and put it where one is missing or is it not needed?

Thanks again for all the help and let me know if you need any more pictures or information.

youdoodle-2018-09-03T12-28-53Z.png

IMG_20180903_121130.jpg

IMG_20180903_121257.jpg

Missing a check ball and those gold retaining plates on the sides it has a shift kit install.

the ones on each side holding in the valves and springs in your picture. Only every seen gold ones on aftermarket parts.

That valve body has been worked on for sure. Tough to know what kit maybe someone will know for the pictures. Good luck.

Here is the picture of the separator plate, looks a littlw messed up here. should I reassemble it without the steel ball or try to get one?

IMG_20180903_135931.jpg

IMG_20180903_140600.jpg

Last edited:
Myself I would rebuild the transmission and buy a new valve body to fit the app your working on. A messed up valve body will screw up a transmission in a hurry. Don't forget the correct torque converter.

Looks like the B+M kits I’ve installed. The ball was left out to make a harder 1-2 shift. The outer ball in the shift vale raises the pressure there. The separator plate should be smoothed over in that spot where the bolt goes. Any plugs in the case? Take a pick of the numbers on the other side of the vb. Kim

Looks like the B+M kits I’ve installed. The ball was left out to make a harder 1-2 shift. The outer ball in the shift vale raises the pressure there. The separator plate should be smoothed over in that spot where the bolt goes. Any plugs in the case? Take a pick of the numbers on the other side of the vb. Kim

Unsure of where any plugs would be in the vb case. And do you want pictures of the numbers on the top or bottom of the valve body? Thanks

Myself I would rebuild the transmission and buy a new valve body to fit the app your working on. A messed up valve body will screw up a transmission in a hurry. Don't forget the correct torque converter.

I just finished rebuilding the transmission, the valve body is the final step

B&M also came with a template plate that you bolt to the valve body and it had a hole in it that you drilled through to remove that wall. I think I still have 2 or 3 plates in my tool box.

I would use it, it will probably work great. If it doesn't you will know right away then look for a valve body, there easy to change.

That is the problem in my eyes, no one knows for sure what valve body it is. Many a good transmission have been killed by a messed up valve body or a plugged up cooler. Don't know any other way to kill a torqueflite.

Some kits have you drill the separator plate holes bigger, some remove or changed springs, some drill the body itself. Change accumulators and band adjustments. It's a crap shoot because you just don't know for sure.

My first thing to look at would be what killed the transmission and how was it being used? They don't commit suicide.

-
Back