Is this VIN a 68 340S?

-
Yeas, 69 can be confusing. The 340 came in the Barracuda, The formula S and the Cuda packages.

The Formula S is A53 code in 1969.The 'Cuda codes are A56 'Cuda 340,A57 'Cuda 383.the 'Cuda package is 340 or 383 4bbl,4 speed transmission,vinyl trim,dual exhaust w/ chrome tips,rallye suspension,firm ride shocks,14 inch red sidewall tires,14x5.5 HD wheels,rear deck applique,black grille,'Cuda 340 or 383 nameplate,simulated hood scoops,delete accent stripes.
Why here car say Formula S on rear I don't know.Panel been replaced or wrong panel put on when new.If you get a hold of her car and it is a nice clean car.I would trade you a 1970 lime green unrestored 383 Road Runner for it.

Don't forget the '69 440 cuda's. My Dad's '69 340S Barracuda came from the factory with 340-s on one front fender and 383-s on the other, so the S tail panel could have been a factory error.

The Formula S is A53 code in 1969.The 'Cuda codes are A56 'Cuda 340,A57 'Cuda 383.the 'Cuda package is 340 or 383 4bbl,4 speed transmission,vinyl trim,dual exhaust w/ chrome tips,rallye suspension,firm ride shocks,14 inch red sidewall tires,14x5.5 HD wheels,rear deck applique,black grille,'Cuda 340 or 383 nameplate,simulated hood scoops,delete accent stripes.
Why here car say Formula S on rear I don't know.Panel been replaced or wrong panel put on when new.If you get a hold of her car and it is a nice clean car.I would trade you a 1970 lime green unrestored 383 Road Runner for it.

I believe the gal will be buried in that `Cuda. I offered her 5k for it in the late 80`s/early 90`s? and she wouldn`t take it. That was good money for that car then.

Here`s an article from a 1966 auto magazine with the formula- s formulation for the 1966 model year.

scan (Large).jpg

Thanks for all the info in this tread. I just looked a 68 formula s convert today but it had no fender tag to confirm the formula s 367 code I was looking for. So I left to try and find out if there was another way to identify it. It did have the BH27P code though and if that option was only available on the Formula S I guess ill be going back to purchase it. Is there anyway like with mustangs that you can write the factory and and get the original build info? Or some other way to have all the options for the car known. The seats have all been recovered as well as the door panels so i doubt there is still a build sheet there. Also They were done in a non factory style and are very nice looking but how would that affect the value of the car being non stock? Thanks.

Thanks for all the info in this tread. I just looked a 68 formula s convert today but it had no fender tag to confirm the formula s 367 code I was looking for. So I left to try and find out if there was another way to identify it. It did have the BH27P code though and if that option was only available on the Formula S I guess ill be going back to purchase it. Is there anyway like with mustangs that you can write the factory and and get the original build info? Or some other way to have all the options for the car known. The seats have all been recovered as well as the door panels so i doubt there is still a build sheet there. Also They were done in a non factory style and are very nice looking but how would that affect the value of the car being non stock? Thanks.

It sounds like you`ve found an original Formula-S with those VIN digits. You can look over the glove compartment and occasionally find a build sheet. Many upholsterers will not take the time to dig out the build sheet from beneath the seat springs so there`s a chance it still exists. I have heard of places that can reproduce the original paperwork but the prices are steep. The seat covers are available through companies like Legendary Auto Interiors so they could be recovered back to original. Not really an issue there.

I was able to get out to west TX a couple weeks ago and saw thae car. It has some potential, but the sister hasn't decided what she wants to do yet. Here are some pics.

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

PICT1665.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

PICT1667.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Nice car, reminds me of carsinbarns website.

For what it is worth, I have a 67 Formula S 383 car, and with no build sheet here is what I was able to discover, (some of this is info was already stated).
The fender tag F7 denotes Formula S, the the fifth digit in the VIN is the engine code, (also found on the fender tag with the tranny code). 67 383 cars all came with the Formula S package, front disc, no power steering, (some sources indicate they could not have power brakes, mine does not have them). Mine also came without the stripe, no chrome exhaust tips, (I do not believe these were available in 67), a Performance Indicator, and a 150 speedo. It has an aftermarket intake and air cleaner but from what I could find out it should have just a plain black air cleaner, (68 and 69 have chrome as well as 273 and 340 cars?).
It is definitely interesting to research these cars, compare results, and discover kool things like the mis-matched emblems mentioned earlier.

That is a cool car, and it looks like it`s still all there. That`s a big plus! That foundation would make for a great restoration. It`s hard to tell if the roof is painted or vinyl? If it`s vinyl, I can`t believe it`s not rotted more than what it appears. The body looks to be in relatively good condition too with the exception of the area on the left 1/4 and just behind the rear wheels. I hope somebody scoops it up and does it right.

longone - the top is painted, so that's why no rust. The lower quarters are the only rust I saw, bu we didn't get in the trunk. I'll get a better look next time I go out. I agree that it's a cool car. Far as I know, my buddies' dad bought it new and passed it to him. It would be a cool project if I had the time and place.

-
Back